> Salt Routes, Where Is Gritted
Darren
post Dec 24 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 24 2009, 09:11 AM) *
We have ageing population in this country that's costing more and more to look after.

Running these services like a private company would result in sending some in need out on the streets or not delivering them meals or the care they needs when the cash ran out. I don't think I need to say what the ultimate result of this could be, especially at times like these.

And none of us are getting any younger. sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeven
post Dec 24 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 498

They've been gritting Park Lane in Thatcham every day it seems, presumably because of the hill? Yet they ignore Park Avenue and other important routes that I have to drive down.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Dec 24 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Jeven @ Dec 24 2009, 02:30 PM) *
They've been gritting Park Lane in Thatcham every day it seems, presumably because of the hill? Yet they ignore Park Avenue and other important routes that I have to drive down.

Did you not contact the council and let them have your driving route and departure times for each day?? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
santolina
post Dec 26 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 245

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 23 2009, 06:22 PM) *
This might be of interest to everyone who posted in the recent snow related threads.

Salt Routes

Some years ago Councils used to provide gritter bins on estates, so people could clear their own roads and pavements. I haven't seen one of these bins for years.

However, I do think that people should clear outside their own front drive and the pavement. If everyone did this it would be less hazardous for people to drive or walk.

I think in Germany it is the homeowner who is responsible for clearing their own pathway and you can be involved in a litigation case if someone trips and falls over outside your house.

Now I don't really believe in the sueing culture (for lots of tiny issues, usually!), but I do think that the Germans have a point. It would certainly get people off their backsides to clear the pathways if a potential court case were in the offing!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 26 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (santolina @ Dec 26 2009, 10:25 PM) *
Some years ago Councils used to provide gritter bins on estates, so people could clear their own roads and pavements. I haven't seen one of these bins for years.

We've got a gritter bin at the top of our road. It is regularly filled and it was used quite a bit when we had the bad weather.

+Quote Post
santolina
post Dec 26 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 245

QUOTE (GMR @ Dec 26 2009, 10:30 PM) *
We've got a gritter bin at the top of our road. It is regularly filled and it was used quite a bit when we had the bad weather.

unsure.gif Lucky you. I live on a new estate and they don't think about little details such as this one anymore.

Anyway a lack of grit maybe, but a backbone would be useful for some residents who are too lazy to clear their paths!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 26 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (santolina @ Dec 26 2009, 10:57 PM) *
unsure.gif Lucky you. I live on a new estate and they don't think about little details such as this one anymore.

Anyway a lack of grit maybe, but a backbone would be useful for some residents who are too lazy to clear their paths!

You could always ask for one.

Why should they clear their paths? Just scraping the snow off makes it more dangerous. If they are going to do it then they should grit it as well. not everybody has grit.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 27 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (santolina @ Dec 26 2009, 10:57 PM) *
unsure.gif Lucky you. I live on a new estate and they don't think about little details such as this one anymore. Anyway a lack of grit maybe, but a backbone would be useful for some residents who are too lazy to clear their paths!

The danger was compacted snow, but the other night, even the areas that were clear of snow became slippery.

+Quote Post
Jeven
post Dec 29 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 498

QUOTE (Andy @ Dec 24 2009, 02:41 PM) *
Did you not contact the council and let them have your driving route and departure times for each day?? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Who do I get in contact with?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 29 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Jeven @ Dec 29 2009, 05:59 PM) *
Who do I get in contact with?

The person who deals with salt bins for the council......

+Quote Post
Lee
post Dec 30 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 110

Urquhart Road, Kennet Heath in Thatcham doesn't get gritted even though it's a bus route!!

West Berkshire say it won't get gritted as it's not an adopted road, Redrow (the developer) say they won't grit it as it's a bus route and so is the responsibility of the council.

Either way, busses and residents are at risk ever time it snows or is icy!

I love the fact that the road is clearly suitable for busses but not suitable to be gritted.
West Berks say they can't enter with a gritting lorry as the road is "private property" yet they are happy to send busses onto "private property".

Whole situation is a joke... just not a funny one!

+Quote Post
Lee
post Dec 30 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Where the "orange" road is Urquhart Road, as you can see the roads either side, Station Road and The Moors are primary, yet Urquhart is left to freeze with busses travelling up and down.

The map they are using (and that I've edited) is out of date as the Kennet Heath estate is now fully built.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 30 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Lee @ Dec 30 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Urquhart Road, Kennet Heath in Thatcham doesn't get gritted even though it's a bus route!!

West Berkshire say it won't get gritted as it's not an adopted road, Redrow (the developer) say they won't grit it as it's a bus route and so is the responsibility of the council.

Either way, busses and residents are at risk ever time it snows or is icy!

I love the fact that the road is clearly suitable for busses but not suitable to be gritted.
West Berks say they can't enter with a gritting lorry as the road is "private property" yet they are happy to send busses onto "private property".

Whole situation is a joke... just not a funny one!
West Berks don't send buses anywhere in Thatcham as far as I'm aware, that's down to Newbury Buses.

They certainly don't have any responsibility for gritting private property either or I'd have them round doing my drive.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 30 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 30 2009, 05:52 PM) *
They certainly don't have any responsibility for gritting private property either or I'd have them round doing my drive.

I thought someone as community spirited as you would have volunteered to have cleared your own drive; to save money for the more needy and all that! wink.gif It seems, however, that you could be just as me, me, me, as the rest of us! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 30 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Lee @ Dec 30 2009, 10:15 AM) *
Where the "orange" road is Urquhart Road, as you can see the roads either side, Station Road and The Moors are primary, yet Urquhart is left to freeze with busses travelling up and down.

The Moors is pink - a secondary route, not primary.

+Quote Post
Lee
post Dec 30 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 30 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Its not private property, it never has been and never will be.
Thats just it, but West Berks aren't willing to listen.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 30 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Lee @ Dec 30 2009, 07:21 PM) *
Its not private property, it never has been and never will be.
Thats just it, but West Berks aren't willing to listen.
Of course it has been private property, it was owned by Redrow and I suspect still is.

If the road hasn't been adopted then it's up to them to look after it.

Oh, and laugh.gif @ Iommi

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 30 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 30 2009, 08:49 PM) *
Of course it has been private property, it was owned by Redrow and I suspect still is.

If the road hasn't been adopted then it's up to them to look after it.

Oh, and laugh.gif @ Iommi

Have to agree. This is the usual try on that most developers seem to play these days. They know full well what the Local Council needs before it can adopt the highways and public provisions they have to put in. Those rules are in place to make sure the rest of us don't catch the additional costs putting matters right later. We took a new house on such a development once - took a concerted effort by the new residents to kick the developer into action.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Rupert
post Jan 1 2010, 01:32 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 583

I only hope that we dont have a return of the ice/snow. Our road did not see any salt/grit, walked/slid up the road to the salt bin. Salt bin gone!! Has been in same location for several years!! Phone Streetcare/Dont care, told never had a bin in that location!! They are only placed on inclines!! Manage to locate a Salt bin, outside Council Offices and another outside the Town Hall. Excuse me but neither are on a hill!!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 1 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

You'll have to keep quiet about that. Otherwise someone will start complaining when the Council take notice of your observation and relocate to the top of a suitable hill...

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:03 PM