IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Councillor's Aggressive Conduct 'Unacceptable', Investigator finds former deputy leader in breach of code.
Andy Capp
post Sep 11 2015, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

On page 10 this week is the full story, but we know most of the details.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 11 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Insightful post dry.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 11 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 11 2015, 05:00 PM) *
Insightful post dry.gif

It was a post to announce the result of a topic we have pawed over for months; what do you expect from me, a full freakin' transcription?

Joffa! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 11 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 11 2015, 05:00 PM) *
Insightful post dry.gif

He still buys the paper! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 11 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Those on here that are interested already know the story; there is nothing new to be known. At the end of the day the investigator is reasonably sure the former deputy's conduct was unbecoming (in that they believe it actually happened): he was abusive according to the rules.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 12 2015, 05:42 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

All rather sad. Of course, the real questions and issues just go unanswered and to this day remain hidden. An 'independent' investigator turns out to be WBC; a bit like two kids at school having a row and the teacher getting one of their dads to investigate. From what the report said, what happened was really just a robust conversation, the words used hardly insulting or being a 'non word'; demeaning, but in the calm cloistered world of local government apparently not acceptable. Far worse is seen even on this forum. So, nothing is going to change and it really wasn't worth voting - they are all the same.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 12 2015, 09:58 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

A nearby neighbour got dreadfully stuffed getting out of Downing Street one day.Plebgate.

On the other hand, I in most polite fashion asked if I could take a snap of my wife.
(6 of them were invited to No10) I wasn't meant to be there! A copper invited me through the gate.
No search or metal detecting. So I took a snap & and they all disappeared through the black door.

I was left in the middle of the road and the nice PC shouldered his Glock or whatever and took a photo of me
by the Christmas tree outside No10...quite surreal.

I would say that "Numpty" was fairly low on the scale of offence. Maybe .05

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 12 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Sep 12 2015, 11:08 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 12 2015, 06:42 AM) *
All rather sad. Of course, the real questions and issues just go unanswered and to this day remain hidden. An 'independent' investigator turns out to be WBC; a bit like two kids at school having a row and the teacher getting one of their dads to investigate. From what the report said, what happened was really just a robust conversation, the words used hardly insulting or being a 'non word'; demeaning, but in the calm cloistered world of local government apparently not acceptable. Far worse is seen even on this forum. So, nothing is going to change and it really wasn't worth voting - they are all the same.

I agree with all you have said apart from the 'nothing is going to change' bit because I think things already are, due primarily to social media ( and forums such as this one) which have given Ruwan the opportunity to present the underlying reasons for his conduct. Clearly I am not a 'reasonable' person because on the basis of what I have read, I disagree with the 'independent investigator's' opinion. Moreover I thought investigators were supposed to establish facts, not provide opinions.....

Also can't help feeling that the decision would have been different if Ruwan had been a Conservative Councillor

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Sep 13 2015, 12:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

Dear Colleagues,

Was the term "numpty" used. Yes, and for using such a heinous word I stand guilty as charged, so an angel I am not, but did I claim to be?

The interesting thing is that these so-called independent investigations, which were undertaken in the strangest of ways without statements of evidence or collating actual evidence, were not interested in the apparent mismanagement of public funds and the subsequent cover up. Why? Tens of thousands of pounds of public money has been needlessly spent and nobody seems to be bothered, not even the current Tory Council leadership.

To this day there is at least one Councillor in Newbury Town Council (no need to guess who) and one Officer (again no need to guess who) actually know what happened, but they have apparently avoided being questioned by making what I believe to be malicious complaints against me. Both of these people from 2010 have kept the truth from the residents of Newbury how there was an apparent 'management error', and when this came to light, oddly it was I and not they that has been branded in negative terms. There is even documentary evidence to support me assertions.

In hindsight, "numpty" is far too low a level a word to use for the behaviour that I have witnessed and I am still experiencing. Numpty is merely being silly, what I have seen is far more unscrupulous than that.

I will carry on challenging those who seem to believe that they are 'untouchable', for I took that oath and I just cannot let misbehaviour go unchallenged.

Yours fraternally.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Liberal Democrat Activist and 'Whistle Blowing' Former Councillor at Newbury Town Council

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Sep 13 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

It seems to me that councils in general seem to shroud themselves in this light form of management and political correctness which means they shelter themselves under this umbrella of rules. One mustn't be robust when either one to one or in the council chamber. Anybody in the real world of commerce today who cost their company that amount due to incompetence must expect a good talking to but for it to have been covered up compounds the incompetence.

I'm sure that robust conversations would have taken place between RUP and the council including the full time officers who are the guiding hands and the elected members. How else does one get to the truth and as an ex policeman, I'm sure that he would have not strayed outside the rules so I'm inclined to believe the statement of RUP rather than a biased "independent".

Numpty, just a silly but probably in this case a suitable word, possibly a bit less strong than 'Stupid or incompetent'.

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 13 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

So, nothing is going to change and it really wasn't worth voting - they are all the same.
I thought you stood for election?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 14 2015, 05:53 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 13 2015, 09:13 PM) *
I thought you stood for election?

So I did and the people spoke. No issue with that. However, I then saw democracy as it happens. Let's just say Thatcham North? Subsequent events have underlined a growing conviction that nothing will alter here unless there is a complete clear out; across the board.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Sep 14 2015, 08:40 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Wait, someone called someone else a numpty?

Did they want me to call them a waaaaambulance?

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Sep 14 2015, 08:41 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 14 2015, 06:53 AM) *
However, I then saw democracy as it happens. Let's just say Thatcham North? Subsequent events have underlined a growing conviction that nothing will alter here unless there is a complete clear out; across the board.

Wasn't there supposed to be an investigation in to what happened at Thatcham North? Have I missed the outcome?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 14 2015, 12:23 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Lolly @ Sep 14 2015, 09:41 AM) *
Wasn't there supposed to be an investigation in to what happened at Thatcham North? Have I missed the outcome?

I think there was but it was subsumed into a general investigation into the election itself. The main issue from the Council's view was simply holding three elections on the same day is too hard to manage properly...

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Sep 14 2015, 12:58 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 14 2015, 01:23 PM) *
I think there was but it was subsumed into a general investigation into the election itself. The main issue from the Council's view was simply holding three elections on the same day is too hard to manage properly...

If that is the case then I can completely understand your view. You would have thought that there would be a few new Councillors, not least the one for Thatcham North, who would be very uncomfortable with the situation, but I guess if they make their views known publicly (or even 'robustly' privately) regarding the apparent incompetence of officers, then they risk a code of conduct complaint!

+Quote Post
Jay Sands
post Sep 14 2015, 02:00 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 894

The investigator, Liz Howlett, was apparently the legal services manager for WBC some years ago. With all due respect to Ms. Howlett it is not what I would call independent. They should have appointed someone who had no former ties with either WBC or NTC.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 14 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Jay Sands @ Sep 14 2015, 03:00 PM) *
The investigator, Liz Howlett, was apparently the legal services manager for WBC some years ago. With all due respect to Ms. Howlett it is not what I would call independent. They should have appointed someone who had no former ties with either WBC or NTC.

It's a fair point, and I would go further and want the investigation conducted by someone who hadn't had a career in local government anywhere which is how it currently works as it does tend to create a substantial pro-establishment bias. It also needs the whole complaint handling taken out of the hands of local government and given to an independent body backed by a judical tribunal, with a remit to consider general maladministration too and not just breaches by councillors of their Code of Conduct.. The code of Conduct also needs beefing up to include the Nolan Principles in their entirety as the 2011 Localism Act does not go far enough and councils are able to set themselves the most anodyne standards - yet calling an officer a "numpty" is still aparently covered.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 14 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

Right, hand's up all those that think some of our officers are indeed 'numptys'..............fair showing there.

And hand's up all those who think the inept Councillor responsible for losing £50,000.00 should have been shaken by the throat until he agreed to repay the money his incompetency had lost us? ..........thought so.

Rowan mate, you seem to have a fair bit of support.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:33 PM