7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reading police\rail police
Thetruth
post Aug 22 2009, 02:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 293

A month or three ago i was waiting for a train at hungerford trainstation around 10pm going to newbury.

A 15 year old boy was on his bike also waiting for the train on the platform, this was just following the "hungerford v newbury riot"

The boy was not doing anything wrong, and the rail police from reading pulled up to a screeching hault and approached him and said "Right we need to search you after what happened the other day, we are searching anyone seen waiting for a late train at night etc etc"

They proceeded to search the boy and found nothing on him and told him to clear off away from the trainstation, he replied he lived in newbury and needed to catch this train or he'd be stuck.

Then one of the police officers who had a bit of an attitude problem (was really cocky and loving his power as an officer of the law, being the big man, being cocky, makind snide remarks and thinking he was the mutts) said to the 3 other officers "Look boys hes off his face hes obviously been smokin summin" and told him to clear off again.

he replied "I need to catch this train"

The cocky officer Grabbed the boy up and got in his face and shouted "you want to **** off now before we nick ya" and threw him towards the opposite direction of the platform with force and the boy had no choice but to ride off.

I then got searched And i was found to have nothing on me and was left to go on my way home.

What is wrong with some officers? just because they have been assigned to uphold the law does that really mean they have immunity against said law?

Ive met my fair share of nice, fair police officers, for example, the pcso officers in hungerford and newbury and ive met some right idiots who are obsessed with their power and think they can get away with using it against people to have a bit of fun or to be a complete **** just for the sake of it, or to keep their arrest rates up.

I seriously think some officers need reviewing and action taken as ive seen this happen on more than one occasion.

What are everyone elses views on the police from around this area?? i do agree that around 50% of the police round here are spot on and take action where necessary but i seriously think that should be 100%... as if thats ever going to happen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 22 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

This is typical of the police nowadays. I've seen kids stopped in the street and searched. Now, I am not against the police doing strip searches if they feel justified but I've never seen a strip search bear fruit. According to a police officer I know strip searching - most of the time - doesn't yield anything.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 22 2009, 02:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Simply report it and keep on until you get a satisfactory response. One word of advice, keep strictly to the facts and don't be tempted to colour what you've said with any emotion. Keep icy cool. Do it like that and you will be heard and something will get done, even if it takes some time. However, and this is why you need to keep totally calm and cool, the 'powers that be' are generally scared witless when what seem like rational human beings push complaints. You must report this for the sake of the community - in any profession there are poor performers, inadequates and individuals who simply can't be trusted with the public. Unless they are weeded out, their effect contaminates the rest.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 22 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 22 2009, 03:57 PM) *
Simply report it and keep on until you get a satisfactory response. One word of advice, keep strictly to the facts and don't be tempted to colour what you've said with any emotion. Keep icy cool. Do it like that and you will be heard and something will get done, even if it takes some time. However, and this is why you need to keep totally calm and cool, the 'powers that be' are generally scared witless when what seem like rational human beings push complaints. You must report this for the sake of the community - in any profession there are poor performers, inadequates and individuals who simply can't be trusted with the public. Unless they are weeded out, their effect contaminates the rest.

I agree, and i always do.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 22 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

A disturbing story that, if true, should be an inspiration for something to be done. A situation like this breeds resentment. This is something that has gone on for a very long time. Newbury once had a notorious Police 'guvnor'. Ironically, some would say that the streets of Newbury have become worse since he 'retired'.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 22 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I've seen it happen many times, and I think it's a problem deep within TVP's selection process. Remember the secret policeman TV show? I reckon the issues that program raised are probably more widespread than just Manchester.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 22 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 22 2009, 04:01 PM) *
I agree, and i always do.

Very glad to hear it – that’s what is meant by being public spirited. With the gradual erosion of democratic control at local level, we are increasingly being governed by self styled experts and petty officials responsible to a paid executive. Without for one moment wishing to see servility, they need to be reminded that they are public servants – and there to serve.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Anon2
post Aug 22 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 265

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 22 2009, 03:53 PM) *
This is typical of the police nowadays. I've seen kids stopped in the street and searched. Now, I am not against the police doing strip searches if they feel justified but I've never seen a strip search bear fruit. According to a police officer I know strip searching - most of the time - doesn't yield anything.

I particularly like this quote - Thankfully it appears that the police are yet again doing what they are supposed to do and performing their duties (stop and search being one of these duties). However it appears that they are yet again being criticised for doing so, which way do you want it????? If you have a better way of performing these duties and exercising these powers, then please let the police know. I doubt that is the case though. In the eyes of some (fuelled by the media) Stop and search has become a controversial power. It is actually an excellent and efficient weapon in the police arsenal for dealing with potential crime and disorder and for dealing with crime that has occurred (robberies etc).

I also have to ask how many strip searches have you seen?? These are always performed out of the public gaze and almost always in a cell at the police station. If such a search does not yield anything then so be it but the suspicion to use this power would have been justified by the officer/s concerned. If this is deemed wrong then a formal complaint can be made.

When you mention 'kids', what age range are you referring to? Bearing in mind that weapons, drugs and stolen goods or equipment to carry out crime can be carried by any age these days......

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 22 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Anon2, I support stop and search, but that isn't the point in this thread. It is the way the boy was allegedly treated that is the issue. You never see this sort of behaviour from the police on 'reality' police shows, even with the criminals.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 22 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

And they don't swear with the cameras on them either.

+Quote Post
Anon2
post Aug 22 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 22 2009, 04:28 PM) *
Anon2, I support stop and search, but that isn't the point in this thread. It is the way the boy was allegedly treated that is the issue. You never see this sort of behaviour from the police on 'reality' police shows, even with the criminals.

I am aware this isn't how the thread started and that's why I quoted the remarks made in my post above my reply to that particular quote.

However getting back to the thread topic itself, none of us will ever be able to say exactly how this incident went from start to finish. It appears from what was written that the 15 yr old was most polite and did not provoke the officers in any way. Then I find the reported behaviour disgusting and those responsible should be brought to book. But I do have to ask why was this not reported as a complaint to the police at the time of the incident, why wait until some months after the event? And I do find it difficult to believe that the whole conversation was overheard without any phrases or words being missed, difficult to do at the best of times.....

Also I do not know the age of 'the truth' but I do know that the people police were searching with reference to the Newbury v Hungerford incidents were from a specific age group and, unless 'the truth' is of this age group or warranted a search for other reasons then he would not have been searched......

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 22 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Best reality Police programme I saw was one where a Policewoman moved on a studen in Guildford Town Centre and got a bit of lip for her trouble. So after answering the lad back, he was hauled off and charged. Next day he got a small fine for his trouble. Then, a middle aged Policeman on Paddington Station, dealing with a well pi**ed banker and his mates. He'd just sorted a pretty nasty incident elsewhere, and was now getting another lot of verbals and threats. He never raised his voice, said what he would do and did it. That including laying the lad on the floor and keeping him there. Situation was far far worse than in Guildford. He was then taken down to the station. Next morning his Dad was asked to collect him - they both got a good dressing down and sent on their way. Who got it right?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Aug 22 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 22 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Best reality Police programme I saw was one where a Policewoman moved on a studen in Guildford Town Centre and got a bit of lip for her trouble. So after answering the lad back, he was hauled off and charged. Next day he got a small fine for his trouble. Then, a middle aged Policeman on Paddington Station, dealing with a well pi**ed banker and his mates. He'd just sorted a pretty nasty incident elsewhere, and was now getting another lot of verbals and threats. He never raised his voice, said what he would do and did it. That including laying the lad on the floor and keeping him there. Situation was far far worse than in Guildford. He was then taken down to the station. Next morning his Dad was asked to collect him - they both got a good dressing down and sent on their way. Who got it right?

Sorry OTE it could be me being a little thick but I don't understand what you are saying? What is your point on this thread? blink.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Aug 22 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

One of the problems is that the police read the histrionics of the tabloid press and , like the rest of us , view the young as drug fueled yobs who are up to no good unless proven otherwise.

Another is the lack of beat duty that used to impart the ability to tell good from bad.

This is not an excuse for their diabolical behavior , more an insight into the country of the future where policing will be done by camera and "rapid response" units who move in , do , and move out ............Unless of course you have a burglar in your bedroom with a knife ,then you are on your own.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 22 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Anon2, I realise that this is just an allegation. If things like this happen, I'd like to think that the police, police themselves, so to speak. Like with everything in society, a few tar the rest.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Aug 22 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Aug 22 2009, 04:52 PM) *
One of the problems is that the police read the histrionics of the tabloid press and , like the rest of us , view the young as drug fueled yobs who are up to no good unless proven otherwise.

Another is the lack of beat duty that used to impart the ability to tell good from bad.

I cannot believe that you think that the Police read the "Tabloids" and believe what they read over the situations that they deal with every hour of their day. they know who the real miscreants are in our little local society and deal with them appropriately. Who's to say that they didn't already know the "15yr old" and felt that he might cause a problem. However if they way that this situation was dealt with was truely bad then it should have been reported and dealt with, not left to fester with no real evidence available! Shame people still watch, leave it to stew and go stale then whinge about it without having ever done anything constructive! sad.gif

As I have said on a previous post the majority of "beat duty" is done by the PCSO's these days. They support and backup the regular Police Service.

+Quote Post
Anon2
post Aug 22 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 22 2009, 04:54 PM) *
Anon2, I realise that this is just an allegation. If things like this happen, I'd like to think that the police, police themselves, so to speak. Like with everything in society, a few tar the rest.

I am sure that they do police themselves and the vast majority of officers would not stand for that behaviour being shown by one of their colleagues. The Police also have a very effective system to deal with any complaints which are brought to their attention by officers and/or the public. But it does need someone to make the complaint in the first place

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 22 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Thetruth @ Aug 22 2009, 03:46 PM) *
They proceeded to search the boy and found nothing on him and told him to clear off away from the trainstation, he replied he lived in newbury and needed to catch this train or he'd be stuck.

he replied "I need to catch this train"

Did he have a ticket?

If not then he had no right to be there?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 22 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Aug 22 2009, 04:50 PM) *
Sorry OTE it could be me being a little thick but I don't understand what you are saying? What is your point on this thread? blink.gif

Sorry written too quickly. Was trying to say WPC in Guildford with the 'I'll get you' attitude has turned some yongster against the Police for the rest of his life. Whereas the old 'I'm just here to keep the peace' Copper in Central London has probably got a couple of people on side and appreciative. Not saying either didn't do the job, but the one with the better attitude secured a far better result

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Aug 22 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 22 2009, 05:27 PM) *
Sorry written too quickly. Was trying to say WPC in Guildford with the 'I'll get you' attitude has turned some yongster against the Police for the rest of his life. Whereas the old 'I'm just here to keep the peace' Copper in Central London has probably got a couple of people on side and appreciative. Not saying either didn't do the job, but the one with the better attitude secured a far better result

Couldn't agree more.

Perhaps they should have one of those training videos starring John Cleese showing the right way and the wrong way of dealing with the baddies. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:43 AM