Reply to this topicStart new topic
> THATCHAM MARKET, WASTE REMOVAL
nerc
post Jun 1 2018, 05:15 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,319

Every Friday i go to the recyling bins at the back of Waitrose,however or the past several weeks the bins are completely full with Market rubbish.
I have noticed that the market employs someone to clean up the market.
Surely this is commercial waste and not household.
After making some enquiries i found out that the gentleman doing the collection is not a registered waste carrier.
Having complained to WBC they have taken no action and said its not there responsibility.
Who is responsible? and is this legal?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 1 2018, 06:15 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (nerc @ Jun 1 2018, 06:15 AM) *
Every Friday i go to the recyling bins at the back of Waitrose,however or the past several weeks the bins are completely full with Market rubbish.
I have noticed that the market employs someone to clean up the market.
Surely this is commercial waste and not household.
After making some enquiries i found out that the gentleman doing the collection is not a registered waste carrier.
Having complained to WBC they have taken no action and said its not there responsibility.
Who is responsible? and is this legal?

What's wrong with that? Saves the market cleaner fly tipping. I'd argue that the Council is responsible for taking the rubbish away. That's one of the things they were set up to do back in the 1880s after all. Do we really want to hear all the excuses as to why its 'too hard'; frankly no, they are being paid to do a job, like anyone else. After all, we don't hear about Sainsbury's saying its petrol is for 'domestic customers only' or not cleaning the pump area because someone has spilt a bit do we?

It's simply a failure of service, so the other option is to apply the alternative - don't use the recycling area yourself, put your own refuse in your own black bin. Job done.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jun 1 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 1 2018, 07:15 AM) *
What's wrong with that? Saves the market cleaner fly tipping. I'd argue that the Council is responsible for taking the rubbish away. That's one of the things they were set up to do back in the 1880s after all. Do we really want to hear all the excuses as to why its 'too hard'; frankly no, they are being paid to do a job, like anyone else. After all, we don't hear about Sainsbury's saying its petrol is for 'domestic customers only' or not cleaning the pump area because someone has spilt a bit do we?

It's simply a failure of service, so the other option is to apply the alternative - don't use the recycling area yourself, put your own refuse in your own black bin. Job done.

I do recycle most of my home stuff in my bins but bottles, clothes and large cardboard is easier to take there, especially as i dont have transport to go to the tip in Newbury .
There are also lots of local people in similar situations to me who trundle up there with shopping trolleys to do the same thing only to find the bins full and rubbish stacked outside the bins.
There are signs on the site stating No Commercial Waste.
Job Done

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 1 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nerc @ Jun 1 2018, 10:01 AM) *
I do recycle most of my home stuff in my bins but bottles, clothes and large cardboard is easier to take there, especially as i dont have transport to go to the tip in Newbury .
There are also lots of local people in similar situations to me who trundle up there with shopping trolleys to do the same thing only to find the bins full and rubbish stacked outside the bins.
There are signs on the site stating No Commercial Waste.
Job Done

There are lots of signs most people simply ignore, 30 is a good example. You could do the same, just leave your cardboard by the side of the bin. What would be wrong with that?

In any event, how do you know the Market Waste Collector hasn't been told to do what he is doing?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
nerc
post Jun 1 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 1 2018, 11:32 AM) *
There are lots of signs most people simply ignore, 30 is a good example. You could do the same, just leave your cardboard by the side of the bin. What would be wrong with that?

In any event, how do you know the Market Waste Collector hasn't been told to do what he is doing?

The wind would blow the waste away and spread every where leaving the whole place a mess.

The waste collector is not a registered waste carrier and therefore needs a licence to remove commercial waste from any site.

He is paid to remove the waste in a proper manner and i believe the market traders dont have a clue as to what he is doing

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 1 2018, 11:20 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nerc @ Jun 1 2018, 11:56 AM) *
The wind would blow the waste away and spread every where leaving the whole place a mess.

The waste collector is not a registered waste carrier and therefore needs a licence to remove commercial waste from any site.

He is paid to remove the waste in a proper manner and i believe the market traders dont have a clue as to what he is doing

Why should the market traders know anything about the Council contractors / employees terms and conditions? As you don't employ the Market worked, you simply don't know either, it's simply an assumption that he's not doing the job and not properly authorised. If you are really so concerned that he isn't doing the job; then formally complain to Thatcham Town Council.

The other issue is that without searching through the content, you simply don't know if the bulk of the skip content is commercial. So, he might not really be causing your irritation. I've been in touch with West Berks previously, they say they are quite happy to collect far more than a green bin full of paper / card so long as it's cut up. Worth thinking about and would save you a trip. Nonetheless I'm surprised you don't want to leave loose card there in case it blows about. Looking at the streets round here, that's not worth worrying about.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:24 PM