IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Name Suggestions for Thatcham Development, ....WBC might wish they hadn't asked!
wabbit
post Oct 26 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 312

As we all seem to need cheering up a bit and this forum has become a little pedantic and ill-tempered in places... and WBC have asked for suggestions for naming the the new Over 55's' housing development in Thatcham town centre... I thought I'd start the ball rolling with my suggestion: CHAVVIEW COURT.

The marketing blurb could then describe the panoramic view such privileged residents might have of the 'nightlife' in Olde Thatcham Towne..., the diverse selection of shops (estate agent/take-away/estate agent/restaurant/estate agent/tattoo parlour)... the fun activities to be had right on their doorstep (see how many chavs you can fit in a Co-op trolley and then upend outside Barclays Bank)..., the great 'characters' whiling away their time supping on a can of Special Brew on a bench in the Broadway...

Hey... are there any of these apartments left...I'm quite tempted!! laugh.gif

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Oct 26 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (wabbit @ Oct 26 2010, 12:45 PM) *
As we all seem to need cheering up a bit and this forum has become a little pedantic and ill-tempered in places... and WBC have asked for suggestions for naming the the new Over 55's' housing development in Thatcham town centre... I thought I'd start the ball rolling with my suggestion: CHAVVIEW COURT.

The marketing blurb could then describe the panoramic view such privileged residents might have of the 'nightlife' in Olde Thatcham Towne..., the diverse selection of shops (estate agent/take-away/estate agent/restaurant/estate agent/tattoo parlour)... the fun activities to be had right on their doorstep (see how many chavs you can fit in a Co-op trolley and then upend outside Barclays Bank)..., the great 'characters' whiling away their time supping on a can of Special Brew on a bench in the Broadway...

I read the first paragraph and thought you were discussing chav pensioners laugh.gif The thiought of 80 year old ladies with hair extensions, tattoo's and mini skirts made me laugh.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 26 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

How about "Stick and Wheel Close"

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 26 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

If they crane their necks they may be able to see the long awaited 'Madam Whiplash' massage parlour... Wasn't aware there was a tatoo shop in Thatcham High St though...

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Oct 26 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Oct 26 2010, 01:58 PM) *
I read the first paragraph and thought you were discussing chav pensioners laugh.gif The thiought of 80 year old ladies with hair extensions, tattoo's and mini skirts made me laugh.

That time is coming....lol

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 26 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (wabbit @ Oct 26 2010, 12:45 PM) *

I thought we needed cheering up? Is using social stereotypes [ Bernard Manning for the 21st century ] the way to be doing it?

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Oct 27 2010, 05:35 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Yes tongue.gif

Not entirely sure 'chavs' were around in Bernard Manning's day... wink.gif . Any of us could be chavs - I see it more as a 'lifestyle choice' and not a descriminatory term per se. After all, no-one is born in a hoodie are they? Stereotypical perhaps but why spoil the fun?

And your own PC name suggestion Dannyboy would be?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 27 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (wabbit @ Oct 27 2010, 06:35 AM) *
Yes tongue.gif

Not entirely sure 'chavs' were around in Bernard Manning's day... wink.gif . Any of us could be chavs - I see it more as a 'lifestyle choice' and not a descriminatory term per se. After all, no-one is born in a hoodie are they? Stereotypical perhaps but why spoil the fun?

And your own PC name suggestion Dannyboy would be?

Christchurch Way

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Oct 27 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Ah... very apt! wink.gif ..this is the 'random' section of the forum after all!

Do you have any particular reason for choosing 'Christchurch'? Not entirely sure there is a church in the immediate vicinity... but it's as good as most of the names chosen for new developments.

In fact, WBC can't claim such a bizarre choice of road name as that chosen by Wokingham District Council who named an 'Alderman Willy Close'. I'm sure Mr Willy was a fine man but maybe it wasn't the best name for a new road laugh.gif

And, in answer to Spartacus, yes, there is a tattoo parlour in the Broadway in Thatcham now - there was even a 'Hoodie Shop' but it seems to have closed down (can't think why!) to be replaced by an 'Army Surplus Shop'. There was an independent discount 'pound' type shop briefly in the Kingsland Centre (near Waitrose) but that too closed... This all bodes badly for Madame Whiplash... unless perhaps, with the new development, she could re-invent herself as 'Miss A Nice Cuppa Tea And a Sit Down'.... or perhaps not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roost
post Oct 28 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Backhander Way....?

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 28 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Reme Rise. (My Dad did his National Service in Thatcham)

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Oct 28 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Gay times for ducks. Very popular in some areas.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 28 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (GMR @ Oct 28 2010, 08:39 PM) *
Gay times for ducks. Very popular in some areas.

I don't understand what that means?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Oct 28 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 28 2010, 08:52 PM) *
I don't understand what that means?

Nor me, are there ducks in the area?

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Oct 28 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Oct 28 2010, 09:30 PM) *
Nor me, are there ducks in the area?

I would imagine a place for Gay ducks. A joke I would presume. Unless GMR has finally gone over the edge? Reading some of the posts on here you would have to be quackers to understand them.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 28 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Happy ducks like water (ponds) and Thatcham is a flood risk?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:18 AM