Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Show Rip-Off?
Jayjay
post May 28 2012, 07:38 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

We went to Highclere Show yesterday. £11 entrance fee was a little steep, but the prices inside were a shock. A small bottle of water for £1.90 was the cheapest drink available and all stalls were selling at the same price. Three minutes on a trampoline £5. A pancake £4.

Needless to say we didn't buy anything and although a large number of people attended the show, all food stalls were deserted.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 28 2012, 08:38 AM) *
We went to Highclere Show yesterday. £11 entrance fee was a little steep, but the prices inside were a shock. A small bottle of water for £1.90 was the cheapest drink available and all stalls were selling at the same price. Three minutes on a trampoline £5. A pancake £4.

Needless to say we didn't buy anything and although a large number of people attended the show, all food stalls were deserted.

Was the same for the crafty craft race, appreciate these people are trying to make a living but some of the prices are a joke. £6 for a very small portion of fish and chips.

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 28 2012, 08:30 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

At most days out, I find it is priced to avoid business.
Especially the food stands. Around £4.00 for a burger. Sometimes you can get a meal deal for £6.50.

I think for a family day out though, at a price that excludes most families, not really fair. But that's the way of the world.

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 08:34 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roger T @ May 28 2012, 09:30 AM) *
At most days out, I find it is priced to avoid business.
Especially the food stands. Around £4.00 for a burger. Sometimes you can get a meal deal for £6.50.

I think for a family day out though, at a price that excludes most families, not really fair. But that's the way of the world.

We generally take our own food these days.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 28 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I too have noticed a quite rapid rise in prices at these sort of events and I guess people have to make a living but I suspect they are being a little greedy.
They will of course price themselves out of business as people don't have a s much cash as they used to have and will do their own catering to avoid being ripped off.
Also the entry prices to these events is being hiked up to unreasonable levels.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 28 2012, 09:35 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Try going to somewhere like Wembley Stadium, it's ... blink.gif

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 28 2012, 10:35 AM) *
Try going to somewhere like Wembley Stadium, it's ... blink.gif

I liked the look of this piella type dish at the crafty craft, but it was £5 for a small tray of it. I walked up the lady asked me what I would like I sae price and said no its ok will leave it.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post May 28 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Oh for the long gone days. London Pubs and others I am sure would decorate their bars of a Sunday for regulars.
I guess I fell (not literally) into that categororyoryory. Plates of prawns, chopped sausages, cheese chunks.
Crisps and nuts. Even eels.(jellied I hasten to add). All long gone
Now I have to pay for Sunday lunch.
ce

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 28 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ May 28 2012, 11:52 AM) *
Oh for the long gone days. London Pubs and others I am sure would decorate their bars of a Sunday for regulars.
I guess I fell (not literally) into that categororyoryory. Plates of prawns, chopped sausages, cheese chunks.
Crisps and nuts. Even eels.(jellied I hasten to add). All long gone
Now I have to pay for Sunday lunch.
ce

And roast potatoes on the bar, yum

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 28 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

I heard, a while ago. A sample of Peanuts on a bar, 9 people's golden showers. As often those types don't wash their hands.
Yum.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 28 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Like bar staff who cough into their hands while serving.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post May 28 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 28 2012, 08:38 AM) *

Those events are all the same. I go up to London quite a lot and prices there are astronomical. But it seems people are willing to splash out. I always take extras when I go on such a trip. I am not prepared to waste my money when I can get the same goods cheaper somewhere else.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 28 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Roger T @ May 28 2012, 12:07 PM) *
I heard, a while ago. A sample of Peanuts on a bar, 9 people's golden showers. As often those types don't wash their hands.
Yum.

I went to a pub with peanuts on the bar, I took a small handful and heard a little voice say "hey man, you look awesome today". That was weird, so I went to the quiz machine and I heard a voice say "rubbish haircut mate, and you're ugly!". I looked to the landlord with a confused look on my face, he said, "sorry mate, the nuts are complimentary, but the quiz machine is out of order"!

+Quote Post
massifheed
post May 28 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 28 2012, 05:24 PM) *
I went to a pub with peanuts on the bar, I took a small handful and heard a little voice say "hey man, you look awesome today". That was weird, so I went to the quiz machine and I heard a voice say "rubbish haircut mate, and you're ugly!". I looked to the landlord with a confused look on my face, he said, "sorry mate, the nuts are complimentary, but the quiz machine is out of order"!

Ba-boom-tish!

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 28 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Two peanuts were walking down the road when one was a-salted.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2012, 06:16 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

It has always been the way of such shows charging so much for refreshments. When I last went to Spurs they charged a fortune for refreshments.

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post May 28 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

I am not one to look at the price of things before buying because if I want it I have it. Last week I went to the filming of the Antiques Road Show. I arrived at the venue at ten to eight in the AM waiting for the gate to be open. Really surprised that there was only about twenty people in front of me in the queue. As it was early and I had had no breakfast I walked over to the van selling all the usual, burgers and the like. Did not look at the price and asked for a bacon baguette and a small bottle of water. Gave the guy serving a tenner and received eighty pence change £9.20. Good job I did not have my seven kids and eleven grand kids with me rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 28 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

The old pub snack jokes do my nut in.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 28 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

The norm is the event organiser licenses the providers (to guarantee income to themselves) and sets the prices they can charge to ensure 'fairness' between the sellers together with a likelihood the seller will be able to make profit on the license fee.
So it is the organiser (usually) not the seller that sets the prices......

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post May 28 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

Always been interested in aircraft and been to many many airshows. Any British ones I have been to have been a complete ripoff. The worst being the Fairford Air Tattoo. The very best I have been to are always the ones held or should say were held at American air bases. Mildenhall AFB being the best in this country. All the stalls and there were many of them that sold all types of food and drink charged the same price which was very reasonable on whichever stall you went to. As said by another poster the price was set by the base hierarchy and could not be changed.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:03 PM