Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Banking Scandal
Jayjay
post Jun 30 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

The Local Authority Pension Fund Forum is calling for all executive bonus's back to 2005, when the manipulation first started, to be repaid.

My first thought was that this was not practical, but on further consideration I think it would be a good idea. A thief can be sent to prison and have any assets gained through the process of crime sold. What is the difference between a common theif and these scum?

Diamond must resign. He was paid nearly 21 million last year as the head of this fiasco.

I would not trust a bank manager to sign the back of my passport photo now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 30 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Well JayJay it was in the Telegraph that 1500 pregnant ewes were taken from Lincolnshire overnight
to County Durham. That is rustling... bring on John Wayne.
6 months on the miserable hulks on the Thames courtesy of Dickens.
before a long scurvey ridden journey to Australia springs to mind.

Or even rock breaking on Dartmoor. That was the easy option.

Some Lords and Ladies in the past came to grief. Bristol, Young Marlborough,Charles 1st. Antoinette.
But the arrogance of city suits is beyond belief.
ce

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 30 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

The absolute scandal is the impotence and in some cases the collusion of the recent governments.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jun 30 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 30 2012, 12:39 PM) *
The absolute scandal is the impotence and in some cases the collusion of the recent governments.

I see Blair is calling for an inquiry? No inquiry needed just some arrests for fraud is all that is required surely?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 30 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I may be able to swollow that the head of a bank was blind to the manipulation of interest rates. A case of misslling once (loan insurance) may be just carelessness, but now there is the discovery of misselling financial products to businesses.

I think there must be an enquiry to unearth the rest of the dirty practices and then criminal prosecutions. If there is no independant enquiry we will have another case of a few token bodies going to jail and the rest carrying on the dubious practices as normal. Just as it has been in the parliamentary expenses thefts.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 30 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jun 30 2012, 02:18 PM) *
I see Blair is calling for an inquiry?

Likely to ensure he is found innocent of any involvement......

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jun 30 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 30 2012, 08:45 PM) *
Likely to ensure he is found innocent of any involvement......

Even though the financial institutions and bankers actually run the country? rolleyes.gif

Riot and steal a few thousand pounds worth of televisions and electronics - 2 years prison.

Commit fraud and cost the country billions and we have an inquiry? Slap on the wrist and on onwards.

Don't understand why no one is being arrested yet? blink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 1 2012, 07:08 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jun 30 2012, 09:00 PM) *
Even though the financial institutions and bankers actually run the country? rolleyes.gif

Riot and steal a few thousand pounds worth of televisions and electronics - 2 years prison.

Commit fraud and cost the country billions and we have an inquiry? Slap on the wrist and on onwards.

Don't understand why no one is being arrested yet? blink.gif

Know your place.

Rip of an old lady into spending some of her pension on unnecessary roof works and the law will be down on you like a ton of bricks. Take her whole pension; and its an OBE at least Remember, the law was never designed to protect the likes of you and me.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 1 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

I was surprised to hear a City “expert” say that we needed new legislation to deal with what happened at Barclays (and, no doubt, other banks).

Really? What about the Fraud Act 2006? – I cannot think of a more comprehensive piece of legislation. One can commit fraud by “failing to disclose” or “abusing position”. Also, what about good old “conspiracy”?

It seems to me that those who work in financial services think they should exist under a different penal code to the rest of mankind.

This puts me in mind of the Yes Prime Minister episode, where upon being asked by Sir Humphrey what should happen to a banker suspected of wrong doing, the senior banker replied “Well, you have the chap straight out to lunch”

What we need is effective policing of the financial sector and a few prosecutions maybe.

Some may remember the Milken/Boesky et al insider trading scandal where US authorities deliberately arrested people in front of their fellow traders.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 1 2012, 08:10 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

That means bringing back some old values like integrity, honour, probity and such like. Better ask why we've let this happen. We voted for this didn't we?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 1 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Sure did, more than once. And as a society we continue to let it happen.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 2 2012, 07:45 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 1 2012, 10:43 PM) *
Sure did, more than once. And as a society we continue to let it happen.

Until the peasants (thats us) revolt and stick a few politicians and bankers heads on pikes they'll continue to treat us with total contempt. Scum. The lot of them.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 2 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Expense fiddling MP's to investigate rate fiddling bankers. Could work I suppose - set a thief to catch a thief.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jul 2 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 2 2012, 06:43 PM) *
Expense fiddling MP's to investigate rate fiddling bankers. Could work I suppose - set a thief to catch a thief.

You scratch my back and I will scratch yours? rolleyes.gif

An Inquiry will give them time to work out a defense and give the public time to find something more interesting to worry about.

What is wrong with using the current Fraud laws is what I would like to know?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 2 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Frankly nothing! Indeed, what's often forgotten is even if the case is not proved, the accused will have had the inconvenience and cost of appearing in Court. A not guilty verdict would give them some great publicity and dare I say it some respect back. So, there isn't any fear in appearing? Am I being too cynical in suggesting that even now Messrs Mightwell and Maybe are earning/getting a huge wadge dispensing complex and contradictory advice to both sides. Why the hurry then?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 3 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Things are serious! He's gone at last. Does this count as an honour resignation - particularly as it came after a session in the Headmaster's office? Anyone opening a book on how long before the next big job?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 3 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 3 2012, 08:47 PM) *
Things are serious! He's gone at last. Does this count as an honour resignation - particularly as it came after a session in the Headmaster's office? Anyone opening a book on how long before the next big job?

After Adam Smith falling on his sword for Jeremy Hunt, Marcus Agius doing the same for Diamond would be too obvious. You can only fool some of the people some of the time.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jul 3 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 3 2012, 09:03 PM) *
After Adam Smith falling on his sword for Jeremy Hunt, Marcus Agius doing the same for Diamond would be too obvious. You can only fool some of the people some of the time.

Isn't it about time some of our beloved councillors started falling on swords? Our councils keep trying to fool all of the taxpayers all of the time! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 4 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

My first bank account was with Lloyds (Army influence – Cox’s & Kings). Sometimes a sub-branch on camp - so did not have to go into town.

I got tempted to Midland Bank, and upon closing my account with Lloyds I received a personal letter from the bank manager saying how sorry he was to see me go. I even felt a bit guilty. The old days!

Now, I bank with First Direct and my company is with with Metro Bank. Probably the best of the bunch, although I hear Co-op is also good for small busineses.

Giro Bank were basic but good in their day, then they became A&L (poor) and now Santander – urgh!

The Bank of England should set up and fund a dedicated Post Office Small Business Bank who are prepared to lend to small businesses. For counter transactions, it would already have a comprehensive branch network and would help struggling sub-post offices and businesses in rural areas.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 6 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Watching Question Time last night, I found myself agreeing with John Lydon (Johnny Rotten).

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:31 PM