Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Here comes UKIP
Andy Capp
post Nov 5 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #201

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Rather than pay too much attention to the two partizan points of view, I'd like to think that there is a more balanced overview here: Immigration question still open
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 5 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #202

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The statisitcs Simon quoted shows that EU migrants pay billions more in tax than they take in state support - in terms of the overall tax bill this is a good thing (today). In terms of industry, GDP etc it is also a good thing, simply having more people working in the economy is crudely related to a bigger economy, higher productivity, higher GDP.

It is hardly surprising the EU migrants are a boost to our economy - they tend to be younger, fitter, and better educated than the average. And the vast majority come here to work. People cost more when they are old or unwell (or both) - the recent wave of migrants haven't got there yet.

Such migration will work well as long as they go home when they retire or before (as many may well do).

I was interested to hear Norman Baker's comment in his resignation letter: "the goodwill to work collegiately to take forward rational evidence-based policy has been in somewhat short supply". Strikes me this is a problem that affects all parties at all levels on migration and many other issues. No doubt these EU migration statistics will soon be brushed under the carpet as everyone tries to out UKIP UKIP.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 6 2014, 12:39 AM
Post #203

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 5 2014, 11:38 PM) *
I was interested to hear Norman Baker's comment in his resignation letter: "the goodwill to work collegiately to take forward rational evidence-based policy has been in somewhat short supply". Strikes me this is a problem that affects all parties at all levels on migration and many other issues. No doubt these EU migration statistics will soon be brushed under the carpet as everyone tries to out UKIP UKIP.

That's a media myth, none of the main parties are doing that. All that is happening is that the parties acknowledge the danger of ignoring the appeal of UKIP. Such is the way the country is divided up, the Tories are 'forced' to move a little more to the right. If they don't they will lose potential to win an election, but the last thing any rational party wants is to lose the lower-wage/higher skilled potential immigration brings. It stands to reason that suppressing the cost of labour will provide a fertile ground to grow an economy. The problem is that for the low paid the advantage of immigration is all but invisible, but those same people see foreigners everywhere these days in 'their' space. This is bound to cause a sense of disenfranchisement.

Having said that, I don't see the findings as a good reason in itself to remain in a bloated federal Europe. I think we can have our cake and eat it. We can still have immigration if we want or need it and it would be nice to be in position to be able to decide. I also see the 'need' for immigration as evidence of failed domestic eduction and benefits policy.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:00 PM