Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Travellers site appeal could hit taxpayers’ pocket
Andy Capp
post Sep 8 2013, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Well, if councillors act in accordance to their constituents opinions, then so what? If government policy is to encourage home ownership then I would imagine that they will find home owners object to such initiatives. Democracy costs, that is a fact. and I believe we should stand-up to developer bullying.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2013/travell...axpayers-pocket
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 8 2013, 02:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

The council are absolutely right to go up against the travellers, who are the scourge of the earth, and I wholeheartedly agree with their decision. Worse than the travellers themselves is this group GPS and their Mr Hugh Jackson, trying to force this through. People power hopefully will win through in the end.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 9 2013, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 8 2013, 04:58 PM) *
The council are absolutely right to go up against the travellers, who are the scourge of the earth,

Oh oh!
Here we go again..................the traveller / anti traveller argument!
Cue Blue Moon Phoenix or whatever her name is!!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Sep 9 2013, 08:49 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I'm pretty sure MoonPheonix will be along soon like Biker1 says.
Perhaps she is enjoying her 400gig of internet and working at Vodafone.

I'm going back to see my Auntie in Kazakhstan and watch the dog do a backflip.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Sep 9 2013, 09:28 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

This country has always claimed that it is a tolerant one, and one that respects the cultures and traditions of others.

Gypsy/Roma and other Travellers have been part of this society for more than a millennium in one form or another, have contributed to the economic prosperity of tis country, but alas still they suffer the indignity of blatant discrimination, and this case exemplifies this.

I read the original report relating to this case and the 'Officers' were unable to find any reason why the applicant who only wishes permission for himself. The members objected on grounds of flooding (yet through one of the wettest winters, it did not flood), the dangers of crossing the road, and even that it was an area of outstanding beauty (the plot is between an industrial estate and a quarry I believe).

If developers are allowed to build huge estates without consideration for schools, GP surgeries and other facilities what on earth is wrong with one person building a hard stand for his home on land that he already owns, and which will cause no genuine inconvenience to anyone?

As for "government policy is to encourage home ownership", well Mr Boysie Biddle is doing exactly this by laying down a permanent stand. A home is not only built from bricks is it? By doing this he is demonstrating his member of the local community, albeit many of them have not exactly put out a hand of friendship.

As for "People power", well those elected into public office cannot merely support those with the loudest voices, for what is the right thing to do is not always popular.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 9 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Regardless of the ethics of it, your house will devalue if it is next to a traveller's site. That is what I mean by house promotion: people don't like anything that reduces the value of their home.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Sep 9 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 9 2013, 11:47 AM) *
Regardless of the ethics of it, your house will devalue if it is next to a traveller's site. That is what I mean by house promotion: people don't like anything that reduces the value of their home.

This particular site is only near one domestic dwelling, and as I highlighted next to things that would devalue properties anyway.

How on earth can an elected representative ever agree with "Regardless of ethics..."? Do we not rightly criticise elected members for this, I know that I certainly do.

Out of interest those that truly believe the statement "the travellers, who are the scourge of the earth...". What exactly would you do with Gypsy/Roma and other Traveller communities and individuals?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 9 2013, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

If it were up to me, I would have them all locked up for life as soon as they commited their third crime - (three strikes and your're out, could be used for everyone). This would stop the breeding and over time rid us of the problem. It's difficult because whilst I think they are all detrimental to our way of life and society, I don't believe they are born with that intention. The sad reality is, that the way we are all raised is generally what we consider normal, so it's hard to change, not impossible though. As for the comments about councillors not standing up for their constituents, or listening to the loudest group, I think this is exactly what they are there for, and why I think you are entirely the wrong man for the job. Day to day use your judgement but big issues with a lot of community involvement should mean the majority have the support of their councillor.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Sep 9 2013, 12:04 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Srafin,

Thank you for the frankness of your comments albeit they are totally intolerant and not something that I would ever agree with, as they are reflective of a bygone period in the history of humanity that saw 'ethnic cleansing' and 'genocide' as a means to rid society of groups that they deemed as unworthy.

As for the role of a Councillor or any other elected member their job is to represent the views of their constituents, not necessarily agree with them, and if I am informed by the Ward residents that they have an issue, I naturally take serious note and do what I can to resolve the problems, but I will not act in an illiberal and inhuman manner in order to gain the electorates support.

As a member of the public you have a right to your opinion, and I equally have a right to mine, so we will have to just disagree on my suitability. You simply do not have to vote for me in the future, but if you are a Victoria Ward member or for that matter a resident of Newbury, I will still be more than willing to represent you if needed.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera
Victoria Ward - Councillor

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 9 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

To me nomads brings to mind deserts and camels. They have to move from place to place in search of food etc. I don't see much evidence of such a need in the UK.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 9 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Sep 9 2013, 12:37 PM) *
This particular site is only near one domestic dwelling, and as I highlighted next to things that would devalue properties anyway. How on earth can an elected representative ever agree with "Regardless of ethics..."? Do we not rightly criticise elected members for this, I know that I certainly do.

I don't know what you mean. My point is simply that people invest in their homes and anything that threatens the value of it is bound to cause a conflict. Whether it is travellers, industry, waste disposal, or whatever.

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Sep 9 2013, 12:37 PM) *
Out of interest those that truly believe the statement "the travellers, who are the scourge of the earth...". What exactly would you do with Gypsy/Roma and other Traveller communities and individuals?

My OP was not about anti-traveller, mine was simply about sometimes it is good to see councillors stand up for their constituents, even if there is threat that means we all have to pay. They shouldn't automatically stand down because of a threat of a legal bill as such. I also think the representatives for the applicant chose antagonistic language which was regrettable.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Sep 9 2013, 01:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Sep 9 2013, 10:28 AM) *
This country has always claimed that it is a tolerant one, and one that respects the cultures and traditions of others.

Gypsy/Roma and other Travellers have been part of this society for more than a millennium in one form or another, have contributed to the economic prosperity of tis country, but alas still they suffer the indignity of blatant discrimination, and this case exemplifies this.

Most do not pay taxes, they steal petrol and break into peoples gardens.
One tried to steal my motorcycle and was seen off with a pretty large knife.

Ultimately I do not see why we should protect or give any sort of rights to people who do not, by and large, pay taxes, work, whos children are jumped school to school, at the expense of school places for permanent residents in the local area, etc etc.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 9 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Whislt we are at it, I think we should do something about the homeless folk living on the canal side between the Hambridge Road bridge & Greenham Lock.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 9 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 9 2013, 05:00 PM) *
Whislt we are at it, I think we should do something about the homeless folk living on the canal side between the Hambridge Road bridge & Greenham Lock.

OK, I'll go first: what do you suggest?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 9 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 9 2013, 05:27 PM) *
OK, I'll go first: what do you suggest?

Using some of the empty office space as accomodation.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 9 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 9 2013, 05:29 PM) *
Using some of the empty office space as accomodation.

Won't that need planning permission and don't the homeless have a refuge already?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 9 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Ruwan, just to be clear, whatever I think of you/your party/the council etc, I do believe your intentions are good.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 9 2013, 07:01 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 9 2013, 06:48 PM) *
Won't that need planning permission and don't the homeless have a refuge already?

Probably & I have no idea.

Still, better than doing nothing & letting folk **** in the woods & create a health hazard.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 9 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Sep 9 2013, 08:01 PM) *
Probably & I have no idea.

Still, better than doing nothing & letting folk **** in the woods & create a health hazard.

Sorry, who are we talking about here? Travellers or NTC?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 9 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 9 2013, 08:59 PM) *
Sorry, who are we talking about here? Travellers or NTC?

neither

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:08 PM