IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Name This Row Of Houses In Lambourne!(sic), Eyewitness picture in The Guardian; Tues. 10/9/13
Roadhawke
post Sep 12 2013, 03:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,013

Eyewitness Picture
I'm guessing someone will recognise them, because I certainly don't know the village well enough. unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 12 2013, 08:28 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Roadhawke @ Sep 12 2013, 05:30 AM) *
Eyewitness Picture
I'm guessing someone will recognise them, because I certainly don't know the village well enough. unsure.gif

I see The Grauniad is living up to it's reputation in competition with the NWN!! tongue.gif
Still, as Strafin says on the other thread, the English language is evolving all the time as are place names,it would appear.
Better re-draw the maps!! tongue.gif

Is it taken from the road that comes in from Lambourn Woodlands looking North??

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 12 2013, 11:46 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Nice puzzle.

I have gone cross eyed looking at lines on harvested fields. No wonder Peruvians squint in Nazca.
There is an organic farm on Sheepdrove Rd. The image may possibly have been taken from high ground looking
North eastwards-ish. The houses are fairly ordinary. A bit left off the roofline does not make architectural jewels.

The bucolic scene in the foreground looks to be on the edges of settlement boundaries. I would hope so anyway.

I can't find it yet. mellow.gif
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 12 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

http://www.lambourn.info/main.asp?pid=106&...,350,&lang=

Possibly Francome Fields. Viewing from Bockhampton Road shows a newbuild in 2011 on the roadside with an allotment sized garden.
The house in the foreground was just foundations, but the utility post to the left fits as does the goal post in the distance in David Levene's image.
Room for some sheep and horses. There is high ground behind me as I look, (well technically not)
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 12 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I don't know if this is of interest or if the link will work...

But viewing the row of houses and the field which I think is the field being harvested
there is a smudge in the air which turns out to be something big with wings.
It is the right sort of terrain for a hunting Red Kite.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&gl...440574932262873.

I was completely wrong in the first post it is looking to the SSW. From a privately owned field?
There are no indicated footpaths on the old OS map I have. So apart from battles in Syria the chap is trespassing in Lambourn. ohmy.gif
ce

+Quote Post
Claude
post Sep 12 2013, 03:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Sep 12 2013, 03:55 PM) *
I don't know if this is of interest or if the link will work...

But viewing the row of houses and and the field which I think is the field being harvested
there is a smudge in the air which turns out to be something big with wings.
It is the right sort of terrain for a hunting Red Kite.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&gl...440574932262873.

I was completely wrong in the first post it is looking to the SSw. From a privately owned field?
There are no indicated footpaths on the old OS map I have. So apart from battles in Syria the chap is trespassing in Lambourn. ohmy.gif
ce

Could well be taken from the junction of Newbury Road & Woodbury, or thereabouts. Plenty of high verges and opportunities to get that snap without trespassing, or perhaps the photographer took it from the comfort of his own home?

Hugely impressed that you managed to get the location. Having spent over 70% of my years in Lambourn I was convinced it was elsewhere but Google Maps proved me wrong. Good detective work Inspector ce

And btw, your link didn't work, not for me anyway. Take a screenshot of it then upload it as a picture perhaps.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 12 2013, 03:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Merci. biggrin.gif

You can just glimpse the row from Woodbury/Newbury Road, I spent some time looking over hedges from my chair
in London, but the binoculars failed at the final hurdle...Horse jump reference there!

I was checking the link and it didn't work for me either. And I was just off to local Sainsburys.
So Cluseau is off line.
The image of the bird is visible if you google Lambourn Sports club and look the other way over the first field.

Apart from shopping I don't know how to post pics so will look into that later.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 12 2013, 07:06 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Attached File  Red_Kite_2.jpg ( 42.39K ) Number of downloads: 13
Attached File  Red_Kite_1.jpg ( 10.25K ) Number of downloads: 14

Lets see what happens.....
Bingo. Red Kite over Lambourn a few years ago.
ce

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 14 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

Nothing Much is correct. The row of houses is indeed Francome's Field - phase 1, the rear gardens of which back on to Bockhampton Road (which is obscured in the photo by the hedges on either side). The house in the fore ground is the new build circa 2011, then infront of that is a field through which runs a public footpath, where sheep graze. Coming back out of view, you'd cross the river, over Woodbury, on to Newbury Road or higher on to the land overlooking the East of the village which leads up to Sheepdrove & Longhedge.

As far as I am aware, the land is not, in fact, organic, but I am not an authority on it. I do know that Lambourn in Berkshire is most definitely not spelled with an E... tut tut, The Guardian!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 14 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Thanks Rachel. Nice autumnal snap whatever the crop. Sheepdrove farm has quite a portfolio of interests
with outlets in Maida Vale and Bristol. Along with weddings, maybe one day they will offer funerals? Organic of course.
I have had a deeper look at their website, oh dear the cynic in me jumps out at all the gush, let us not forget the subsidies.
Eco is all very well but spelling and sense are important. There are at least 2 spelling mistakes and a senseless sentence.

I never went to Lambourn, so I enjoyed the explore. But it can become an obsession, after finding the Red Kite I thought of sending
a note to David Levene. Did you know? etc etc. Sense prevailed along the lines of "For goodness sake Christopher get a grip."
ce

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:50 AM