Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Petrol prices in Newbury
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,171

They're nicknamed "Toyota Pious" for nothing...

Couldn't agree more. Motoring is about getting about safely and having a bit of style.
That is why the Merc ad failed to tickle an apprentice's fancy. Dull,family,old mans car.( Mixing my threads up here.)
There are no Mercedes parked in my area!. You can't take them seriously after Janis lampooned the brand.

Speaking of style, just to show I know about BOYBANDS. One chap by the name of Harry has a flat
in the same Victorian school conversion as my daughter in Stoke Newington.

She & Son in Law had just returned from a holiday in Germany to let his new Audi RS5 loose
when Harry was receiving delivery of a new Porsche. Of course the first thing
K does is check on google the new motor.... "Ha---Mine is £1,000 cheaper and 10 MPH faster" He said with relief.
That is what driving is all about in the real world. Mine is bigger/better than yours.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

And another thing. As motormad pointed out the merc is carp. Out of interest I looked up
septic tank emptying in Newbury. Oh dear, yet another jumbling of threads. I will be banned again,

I live in london and Anglia. Thanks to the generosity of Thames Valley customers I am looking forward to a new sewerage infrastucture. Like "Plug and Play", "Fire 'n Forget" Its dump and flush here. But I have to get a nice farmer to
gulp my sludge in Nofolk so I do grumble about overuse and suggest males water the marrows instead.

The point of the last ramble was one company William Wilder was extolling the benefits of their new Mercedes-Benz
for getting down tight corners. They were also advertising for someone to join the company.
Apply to theboss@wilder.co.uk. Qualifications include,needs to be happy working with muck. That's mercs for you!.
Although they probably look good lined up in the taxi ranks outside airports.
ce

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 19 2013, 02:19 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Aug 19 2013, 11:27 AM) *
well said, my other half gets 60mpg on a reg basis out of her 2.0ltr diesel, thats better than a prius in real world consumption. Fuel cells are the way forward but everyone is hooked on the idea of battery power which is a compleat dead end.

Nice to know there's someone else with sense on these boards! dry.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Aug 19 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Aug 19 2013, 02:58 PM) *
They're nicknamed "Toyota Pious" for nothing...

Couldn't agree more. Motoring is about getting about safely and having a bit of style.
That is why the Merc ad failed to tickle an apprentice's fancy. Dull,family,old mans car.( Mixing my threads up here.)
There are no Mercedes parked in my area!. You can't take them seriously after Janis lampooned the brand.

Speaking of style, just to show I know about BOYBANDS. One chap by the name of Harry has a flat
in the same Victorian school conversion as my daughter in Stoke Newington.

She & Son in Law had just returned from a holiday in Germany to let his new Audi RS5 loose
when Harry was receiving delivery of a new Porsche. Of course the first thing
K does is check on google the new motor.... "Ha---Mine is £1,000 cheaper and 10 MPH faster" He said with relief.
That is what driving is all about in the real world. Mine is bigger/better than yours.

I agree about the bit about safe travel. However, we are amid a paradigm shift whereby there are more and more people live on this planet who want to consume an ever-diminishing quantity of resources. Given this, we all need to consider how we consumer those resources. This is one of the reason gas prices are spiking. Increasing CO2 emissions are also the core cause of climate change which will make life on earth as we know it IMPOSSIBLE.

We must perfect and support alternative sources of energy for all areas of life including transport. We must look to vehicles that give us the best possible gas-mileages and the lowest possible emissions (preferably none). The combustion engine is in fact woefully inefficient (with a mechanical efficiency of only about 22%). That means about 70% of the gas you put in your tank is NOT used to move your vehicle around.

I cannot help but think any other consumer product that inefficient and polluting would have been banned years ago.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Yes Blake, I agree with you. But it didn't quite fit in with my point. And yes I do enjoy getting around on foot where possible.
I have a bike which is fun for simple local drifting around country lanes. Cars are a big pain.

But one of the points of the present annoyance is the holy attitude of those who smugly look down on fools (such as I)
who pay shedloads of tax and insurance to get about for distances. Trains are not the answer and buses are
pretty useless outside built up areas. There will come a time when like 100watt bulbs I shall conform. Dark days ahead.

As a customer of Beamer smile.gif (doesn't that sound happier than Merk sad.gif ) I get leaflets for new kit and an electric version
that would buy a starter home is on the cards. Sadly not in my lifetime. The range is still a sticky point and the lack of
power ( charging) is like trying to cross the Gobi in days of old. A story in the Telegraph,which means it must be true, has it
that a set of charging points at a park and ride were used 4 times in a year.

I don't like flying anymore so for 6 years have saved the planet. I've done my bit.
But will accept the future when it is impossible to avoid. A bit like old age.
ce

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 19 2013, 05:10 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Blake @ Aug 19 2013, 03:30 PM) *
I agree about the bit about safe travel. However, we are amid a paradigm shift whereby there are more and more people live on this planet who want to consume an ever-diminishing quantity of resources. Given this, we all need to consider how we consumer those resources. This is one of the reason gas prices are spiking. Increasing CO2 emissions are also the core cause of climate change which will make life on earth as we know it IMPOSSIBLE.

We must perfect and support alternative sources of energy for all areas of life including transport. We must look to vehicles that give us the best possible gas-mileages and the lowest possible emissions (preferably none). The combustion engine is in fact woefully inefficient (with a mechanical efficiency of only about 22%). That means about 70% of the gas you put in your tank is NOT used to move your vehicle around.

I cannot help but think any other consumer product that inefficient and polluting would have been banned years ago.

Tell you what, you stop China opening four new coal fired power stations per week and I'll start to listen.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Are there not permanent fires in some coal seams that are completely out of control in China?
Perhaps they could be tapped for ground heat power stations?...

(Is a reactor at Windscale still on fire after 50 years, sorry an old urban myth I like)
ce

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 19 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Aug 19 2013, 03:30 PM) *

I can.

Meat (beef) and Milk.

Ban cows then talk to me about banning my car.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 19 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (motormad @ Aug 19 2013, 07:51 PM) *
I can.

Meat (beef) and Milk.

Ban cows then talk to me about banning my car.

Extremely good point. Methane from beef production is a significant cause of anthropogenic greenhouse warming, methane being twenty times as bad a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, and the cows continually farting as they do. Eating meat is a seriously inefficient use of arable land and fossil fuel energy, with the area of land and energy consumption that produces one meat meal able to produce ten vegetarian meals.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 19 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Am I the only one who wouldn't buy a Prius because I want somewhere to carry luggage?

+Quote Post
Blake
post Aug 19 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 19 2013, 11:14 PM) *
Am I the only one who wouldn't buy a Prius because I want somewhere to carry luggage?

What do you mean? It has a boot and is not unlike the size of a Ford Focus.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 19 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Yes but at 56.5mpg (real world) it aint all that is it? I used to be able to get that out of my 05 Passat!! Still it gives the sandal wearing, hemp shirt brigade something to drive I suppose.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 19 2013, 11:24 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Aug 19 2013, 11:17 PM) *
What do you mean? It has a boot and is not unlike the size of a Ford Focus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blake
post Aug 20 2013, 09:31 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

I would strongly recommend this book for a sober and unbiased analysis of the facts. West Berks Library service has it in stock:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0713999233

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 20 2013, 09:54 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Nothing is ever unbiased.
Reading the description he doesn't once mention cows which are much more of a pollutant than cars.

Again.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blake
post Aug 20 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Have a read of it and see what you think.

You cannot expect to read a whole book by reading the description.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 20 2013, 09:57 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (motormad @ Aug 20 2013, 10:54 AM) *
Nothing is ever unbiased.
Reading the description he doesn't once mention cows which are much more of a pollutant than cars.

Again.....

They are working on the cows too.

In the meantime folk can still feel especially smug as they sit in the drive through, engine running, waiting for a burger.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 20 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 20 2013, 10:57 AM) *
In the meantime folk can still feel especially smug as they sit in the drive through, engine running, waiting for a burger.

It's nice 'aint it. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 20 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (motormad @ Aug 20 2013, 11:42 AM) *
It's nice 'aint it. laugh.gif

It is symptomatic of the modern age we live in.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 20 2013, 10:58 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Monbiot? Unbiased?

I think not. He is one of the most vociferous 'global warming - we're all doomed' brigade

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:12 PM