Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ronald Briggs has been released from jail
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Biggs is an old man who can do no harm to anybody and there has been a lot of talk whether he should have been let out. What did he do? He was a minor player in a train robbery and who escaped from prison. There would be no such debate however if he had abused a child, murdered somebody or just created horrific crimes; he'd bet let straight out into the community to continue his atrocities. The moral of that tail is; if you want to be released early from jail do something less serious like abusing or killing a child.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy
post Aug 6 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Biggs is an old man who can do no harm to anybody and there has been a lot of talk whether he should have been let out. What did he do? He was a minor player in a train robbery and who escaped from prison. There would be no such debate however if he had abused a child, murdered somebody or just created horrific crimes; he'd bet let straight out into the community to continue his atrocities. The moral of that tail is; if you want to be released early from jail do something less serious like abusing or killing a child.

The driver was severely traumatised after being hit over the head with an iron bar and suffered severe headaches and ruination of his life for 7 years until his death. Biggs may not have wielded it directly, but that matters not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ Aug 6 2009, 07:51 PM) *
The driver was severely traumatised after being hit over the head with an iron bar and suffered severe headaches and ruination of his life for 7 years until his death. Biggs may not have wielded it directly, but that matters not.

Not according to the law.... in fact most victims of crime come second; sadly.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 6 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Andy @ Aug 6 2009, 07:51 PM) *

Yeah, and Ronny Boy showed not once ounce of remorse for what he did, in fact he became a minor celeb in Sth America, doing diddly squat and getting money whilst natives here like me, and millions of others, had to tip out of bed at all hours to go to work, an alien concept to him and his like. Good riddance to him, he's not exactly been a boon to the taxpayer, has he?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 6 2009, 08:13 PM) *
Yeah, and Ronny Boy showed not once ounce of remorse for what he did, in fact he became a minor celeb in Sth America, doing diddly squat and getting money whilst natives here like me, and millions of others, had to tip out of bed at all hours to go to work, an alien concept to him and his like. Good riddance to him, he's not exactly been a boon to the taxpayer, has he?

My point was – and even though his crimes could be regarded as serious/ important – they are not as serious as a child abuser who would probably have got off a lot quicker. The reason his sort of crimes were regarded as more important by the government was that his crime was against the state. State crimes are regarded as more important than crimes against individual.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 6 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 08:31 PM) *
My point was – and even though his crimes could be regarded as serious/ important – they are not as serious as a child abuser who would probably have got off a lot quicker. The reason his sort of crimes were regarded as more important by the government was that his crime was against the state. State crimes are regarded as more important than crimes against individual.

His real crime was that we was a low life crim who escaped from prison, fled the country, and continued to stick two fingers up at us from thousands of miles away for years, thinking he was completely safe from justice. He would have got off an awful lot quicker if he had decided to do his time. Can't recall many child abusers legging it from prsion and then making a minor fortune taunting us - i.e. the taxpayer - from abroad. Sorry, the bloke is what Scousers would refer to as a gobsh*te. Also, I thought he stole money - OUR money, or to be more accurate banks money in the care of the Post Office from a postal train running on a state owned (i.e ours) railway, or are you saying that's ok 'cos it's not really ours? I always thought that that the government had no money except that they took from the taxpayer - wonder who paid compensation to the banks involved - anyone care to guess?.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 6 2009, 09:02 PM) *
Can't recall many child abusers legging it from prsion and then making a minor fortune taunting us - i.e. the taxpayer - from abroad.

His original sentence was 30 years for his crime. Most murderers, child abusers etc don’t even get that. And even though I won’t argue with you in how you describe him and that he should be punished. But were his crimes more serious/ important than child murderers/ child abusers crimes?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 6 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 09:23 PM) *
His original sentence was 30 years for his crime. Most murderers, child abusers etc don’t even get that. And even though I won’t argue with you in how you describe him and that he should be punished. But were his crimes more serious/ important than child murderers/ child abusers crimes?

On one thread you are calling for touger sentences and longer terms for criminals. On this one you are saying he should be given less blink.gif His original 30 years is largely irrelevant as the early releases you refer to probably had longer sentences initially than they served. Anyway, sentences given out should be based on the crime, not on what other people had got for other offences. I just hope Biggs expires before he costs the NHS a fortune as well.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 6 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I'm staggered that we 'let him' back in, in the first place. If S. America was so good, we should have let him off and let him stay there.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 6 2009, 09:41 PM) *
On one thread you are calling for touger sentences and longer terms for criminals. On this one you are saying he should be given less

First of all there is no contradiction here. And I didn’t actually say he should be given less, I was more referring to child abusers, murderers and such should be given more. I regard murderers/ child abusers as more serious crime than robbing a train. Remember nobody died because of his crimes. And yes I know that a guard had died but that was many years later and some will argue that it wasn’t attributed to the train robbery; at least the law agreed that there was no connection.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 6 2009, 09:44 PM) *
I'm staggered that we 'let him' back in, in the first place. If S. America was so good, we should have let him off and let him stay there.

There was no way on this planet that he could be stopped from coming back. He was a British citizen and he was entitled to enter Britain, no matter what he did.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 6 2009, 09:41 PM) *
Anyway, sentences given out should be based on the crime, not on what other people had got for other offences.

I agree and his crime wasn’t as serious as child abuse or murder.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 6 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 10:00 PM) *
There was no way on this planet that he could be stopped from coming back. He was a British citizen and he was entitled to enter Britain, no matter what he did.

You're starting to sound like Jack Straw. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 6 2009, 10:20 PM) *
You're starting to sound like Jack Straw. tongue.gif

sad.gif blink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 6 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 6 2009, 09:58 PM) *
And yes I know that a guard had died but that was many years later and some will argue that it wasn’t attributed to the train robbery; at least the law agreed that there was no connection.

The 'some' you refer to.... they wouldn't be Ronnie's old cronies and family now would they? rolleyes.gif

No definitive, categorical, directly attributal link to getting coshed over the head perhaps as far the law is concerned.... but then again The Law's an ***. Would probably be described as 'unproven' in a scottish court.

Edit: the swear-o-meter dictionary translation of *** is long eared donkey

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 6 2009, 11:02 PM) *
The 'some' you refer to.... they wouldn't be Ronnie's old cronies and family now would they? rolleyes.gif

No definitive, categorical, directly attributal link to getting coshed over the head perhaps as far the law is concerned.... but then again The Law's an ***. Would probably be described as 'unproven' in a scottish court.

The "some" i refer to is the law. They said that as his death was a long time afterwards it could not be connected/ attributed to the the train crime; I am not saying that is right or wrong, just how it is.

To be fair if they started convicting people a long time after the crime was committed - he could have died from other problems - our system would be on overload.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

smile.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 6 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 6 2009, 11:02 PM) *

Edit: the swear-o-meter dictionary translation of *** is long eared donkey

You mean ass? wink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 6 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Language Timothy..... laugh.gif

When I typed in *** the swear filter replaced with gobbledogook asterisks....

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 6 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

It's done it again!

stick a question mark on the end and it gets through .....***?

(Well that didn't work either.....)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:38 PM