IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad Digital Reception
Guest_Nelly_*
post Jul 21 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Guests

Is it just me or is the digital reception in Newbury getting worse the nearer to "switchover" we get? For the past month or so as soon as there is so much as drop of rain the signal gets so bad you cannot watch anything angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 21 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

No problems here. It might be something to do with your location, or possibly your aerial installation (damp getting in?).

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 21 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Guests

I fear it may be just you.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Jul 21 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

I've had to switch back to analogue on a few occasions in the past few weeks. However, the weather has been exceptionally horrendous.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 21 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Nelly @ Jul 21 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Is it just me or is the digital reception in Newbury getting worse the nearer to "switchover" we get? For the past month or so as soon as there is so much as drop of rain the signal gets so bad you cannot watch anything angry.gif

Do you have a proper Ariel or an in door one? My proper Aeriel is ok but my indoor one occasional gives an bad reception.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 21 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

We get a lot of problems mainly with the BBC, I live in the Speen area and have a external ariel.

+Quote Post
Guest_Nelly_*
post Jul 22 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #7

Guests

Its a proper aerial, I live in central Newbury and never had any problems until now. The BBC is always one of the better channels??

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 22 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

I find Shaw is pretty awful for all the analogue and some of the digital at the moment, but I thankfully have cable too!!! smile.gif

Problems are often caused because of the 2 different signals...currently the digital signal is only broadcast, I believe, at about half strength because it interfers with the analogue one. Once the switchovers are completed the digital signal should vastly improve.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 22 2009, 09:20 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Nelly @ Jul 22 2009, 08:54 AM) *
Its a proper aerial, I live in central Newbury and never had any problems until now. The BBC is always one of the better channels??

It might be down just to the area you live in. I don't really have any problems unless I am watching a TV with the indoor aerial and that is only down stairs. Upstairs is ok. It is worse in hotter weather.

+Quote Post
random_user
post Jul 23 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 39

Can you tie the interference to anything else in your property? If fridges, heaters, aircon, boilers switching on or off cause you problems then I'd try connecting the tv/box to a surge protected socket. SurgeMaster is a well known line of these - IIRC the 'noise filtration' is the stat you want to look at, the higher the better (the scale is logarithmic so one rated at 60db is a thousand times better than one rated at 30db).

The place I used to live in only had problems at one time of year, or so I thought. Actually they were caused by the interference from a street lamp outside flicking off an on until it warmed up enough to stay on. Not too much you can do about this, unless the light is faulty and is permanently interfering.

The other thing to check is if your aerial cable has been moved a bit too close to any electrical devices. Or if you have moved them much closer to the socket. Most cables/sockets are poorly shielded and will pick up the interference put out by your telly/dvd/box/amp/pc/console etc.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 26 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

One thing that gets me with the 'improved' digital service is the broadcast delay factor. There's about a four second differential between analogue and digital...which CAN be handy.

If there's some sport on the TV (Formula 1, Wimbledon, footie etc) that you kinda want to watch, but have got to get on with jobs around the house (so only want to watch the highlights), you can listen to it on the radio (analogue MW Radio 5Live for instance wink.gif ) and when something interesting happens you've got time to rush through to the front room to watch it 'LIVE'!!

I managed to spoil most of the Wimbledon finals for my wife by shouting through from the study "He's missed it!" or "Double fault!" etc four seconds before Mrs Spartacus saw it on the TV! (She was not happy!)

Does bring into question the validity of the 'time pips' (if they're still in use)

"At the third stroke, it will be six pm precisely, unless you are listening on digital in which case please add four seconds....pip...pip...PIP"

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 26 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 26 2009, 09:48 PM) *
One thing that gets me with the 'improved' digital service is the broadcast delay factor. There's about a four second differential between analogue and digital...which CAN be handy.

I've noticed that; more so when you've to normal TV in one room and Digital on in another.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 27 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Takes that long for the conversion to take place. The transmission itself takes exactly the same time.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 27 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

There is also a few milliseconds difference between Freeview and Sky satellite. Before I got a new Freeview set for my dining room, I would watch BBC News on Sky in that room. If both were on at the same time and you stood between the two rooms, the effect was like being in a concert hall smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 27 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Comes from taking the looooonnnnnggggg way round.

There is also a delay between channels. BBC News channel is usually a couple of seconds ahead of Sky News when showing the same thing live.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 27 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Jul 27 2009, 09:19 AM) *
BBC News channel is usually a couple of seconds ahead of Sky News when showing the same thing live.

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "you heard it here first"! laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:50 PM