2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hundreds sign petition for 20mph limit outside Thatcham school
nh31
post Dec 18 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,303

I live very near Whitelands School and where i agree about the speed limit, i do have to say that a lot of the problems actually start with the parents dropping off/picking up the children. They park literally ANYWHERE causing obstructions which makes driving difficult in some circumstances. I do wonder how anyone could even reach 30 mph near the school because of the selfish parking by many?
I do try not to leave/go home at dropping off picking up time as just getting into my own street is sometimes a challenge in itself. I do wonder where these people live that have signed this petition as i know i and most of my neighbours have not seen it. strange considering we are the local residents. huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 18 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Welcome to NewburyToday nh31. smile.gif

Do you think a 20 mph limit is a good thing? Does the PTA organise a walking bus or anything like that? How far from the school do the children live? More than half a mile?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Dec 18 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

A 20 mph speed limit can only be enforced by the use of speed humps (aka traffic calming measures),

It cannot be properly enforced by the Police - even if they wanted to - because none of their speed detection equipment is certified for use at less than 30 mph.

Whilst 20 mph might be a wonderful idea ay school start and end, be careful what you wish for.

Have all other avenues been explored? For example, parking issues, rewarding pupil who walk, etc.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Dec 18 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

A 20 mph speed limit can only be enforced by the use of speed humps (aka traffic calming measures),

It cannot be properly enforced by the Police - even if they wanted to - because none of their speed detection equipment is certified for use at less than 30 mph.

Whilst 20 mph might be a wonderful idea at school start and end, be careful what you wish for.

Have all other avenues been explored? For example, parking issues, rewarding pupil who walk, etc.

+Quote Post
biggus_richus
post Dec 19 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 59

I live on a street with a 20mph zone. In my opinion, it doesn't work, it's just plain ignored.

In terms of parking, you could photograph offending vehicles and post them to a blog. Rather like what this enterprising individual has done:

Lazy Parents

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 19 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Outside St. John's school in Link Road is just as bad at pick up time.
Cars everywhere totally ignoring parking restrictions ironically making it dangerous for the children they are actually trying to protect from walking a short distance.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Dec 19 2011, 09:05 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (biggus_richus @ Dec 19 2011, 08:49 AM) *
Rather like what this enterprising individual has done

This 'enterprising individual' has no idea if the person driving / parking those cars are parents or not do they? It could be a Nanny, or an Au-pair or grandparents, insured friends, aunts, uncles, elder brothers or sisters. But this 'enterprising individual' knows all this do they?
Showing the number plates is also fraught with danger as the car may have just been bought or sold and people might get the wrong idea about a previous owner. Or does this 'enterprising individual' know the recent history of the cars photographed as well?

What a clever little sausage they must be.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 19 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Actually, this is a symptom of a much bigger issue that Politicians simply don't seem to want to address. Its all too easy to castigate parents who live very busy lives. I haven't had school age children for a good decvade, but employ many that do.

The issue is that because of the very poor public transport provision, the effects of providing choice in education - as opposed to dictat and the 1950's access arrangements at our school locations, we have a massive problem.

Quite rightly parents need to 'drop or collect and go' very quickly. However, there is generally no provision to enable them to do that.

Rather than unenforecable traffic regulations and complainst about bad parking - lets have some postive answers. Sufficient short term bays, decent school transport etc. etc.

Appreciate some of us walked miles to get to school when we were young - but that made us so tired we didn't seem to learn much!!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 19 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #9

Guests

I live on a street with a 20mph zone. In my opinion, it doesn't work, it's just plain ignored.

In terms of parking, you could photograph offending vehicles and post them to a blog. Rather like what this enterprising individual has done:

Lazy Parents

Yeah, the 20mph on Station Road by Kennet School isn't. I obey it because my car scrapes the speedbumps if I don't, but I've been overtaken doing 15-20mph by many angry, impatient, bus *****ing people, most of whom are either Taxi drivers or for some unfortunate reason bought a Peugot. Perhaps that's why they're angry.

Speedbumps though are very annoying. They don't make you slow down unless you have a lowered car and care about it. Everyone else I know, myself excluded, flys down there at 25-35mph.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Dec 19 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Rather like what this enterprising individual has done:

Lazy Parents

The first picture may well be irrelevant. As it costs money to advertise and make TROs (Traffic Regulations Order), many - if not most - yellow zig-zag lines outside schools are unenforceable in W.Berks

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 19 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Dec 19 2011, 08:29 PM) *
As it costs money to advertise and make TROs, many - if not most - yellow zig-zag lines outside schools are unenforceable in W.Berks
Total rubbish....

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 19 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

I think the original poster was making the point that the majority of signatories weren't residents, but parents some of whom cause the problem in the first place.

+Quote Post
nh31
post Dec 20 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,303

Thank you for the welcome.
I believe that slowing down near any school can only be a good thing. But to be honest would road humps really work? They certainly don't in Northfield. Also where would these humps start and end? Sagecroft Road as many will know is a very long road, and would west Berks council really pay to do the whole road? Hmmm
Anyway the answer to your question about the walking buses etc is I have never witnessed this so I believe not. I just know that it's near impossible to enter leave my street at dropping/picking up time. Due to abandoned cars everywhere which as I have said I believe is where the danger starts. Address this first and this battle will be have fought I think.

+Quote Post
part time
post Dec 20 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 171

It's all too easy to criticise people for being lazy and parking inconsideratley...................because they are!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 20 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 19 2011, 08:56 AM) *
Outside St. John's school in Link Road is just as bad at pick up time.

Must be bad - St Johns is in Old Newtown Road!!!!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 20 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Dec 19 2011, 08:29 PM) *
The first picture may well be irrelevant. As it costs money to advertise and make TROs (Traffic Regulations Order), many - if not most - yellow zig-zag lines outside schools are unenforceable in W.Berks

Would you like to test that statement? A single TO was done for all the sites in one hit. Economical and fully enforceable....

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 20 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nh31 @ Dec 20 2011, 12:40 AM) *
Thank you for the welcome.
I believe that slowing down near any school can only be a good thing. But to be honest would road humps really work? They certainly don't in Northfield. Also where would these humps start and end? Sagecroft Road as many will know is a very long road, and would west Berks council really pay to do the whole road? Hmmm
Anyway the answer to your question about the walking buses etc is I have never witnessed this so I believe not. I just know that it's near impossible to enter leave my street at dropping/picking up time. Due to abandoned cars everywhere which as I have said I believe is where the danger starts. Address this first and this battle will be have fought I think.

Good points.
For years it has been 'known' most road safety problems in the vicinity of schools are caused by the parents. It is they who park all over the place, they who drive too fast for the conditions, they who do not strap the children in.
The parking actually creates a far more effective speed reduction than any hump, cushion, etc.
The walking buses work, as long as the volunteers are as happy to walk in the coldest winter as they are in the warmth of summer, and new recruits turn up each year. Sadly (I believe) the co-ordinator post at WBC was done away with.
Too often Head Teachers care little about the chaos outside their gates - not their problem - so engaging in activities to educate the parents can be difficult.
If there is parking on the zig-zags or obstruction of driveways etc, then I'd be on to the Neighbourhood Policing Team for some visibility. The effect does not last for ever, but the occasional look works as well.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 20 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Dec 20 2011, 12:55 PM) *
Good points.
For years it has been 'known' most road safety problems in the vicinity of schools are caused by the parents. It is they who park all over the place, they who drive too fast for the conditions, they who do not strap the children in.
The parking actually creates a far more effective speed reduction than any hump, cushion, etc.
The walking buses work, as long as the volunteers are as happy to walk in the coldest winter as they are in the warmth of summer, and new recruits turn up each year. Sadly (I believe) the co-ordinator post at WBC was done away with.
Too often Head Teachers care little about the chaos outside their gates - not their problem - so engaging in activities to educate the parents can be difficult.
If there is parking on the zig-zags or obstruction of driveways etc, then I'd be on to the Neighbourhood Policing Team for some visibility. The effect does not last for ever, but the occasional look works as well.

You mention the Council and the Head, but I see it more as a problem for the Board of Governors to take some corporate social responsibility.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 20 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

What do we want to do? Get kids to school and parents to work on time? Is this 2011 or 1951?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Rusty Bullet
post Dec 20 2011, 03:15 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 53

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 19 2011, 09:10 AM) *
Quite rightly parents need to 'drop or collect and go' very quickly. However, there is generally no provision to enable them to do that.

Here's a thought.

How about they leave home earlier?. You know, get more organised, set the alarm clock 10 mins earlier, all that good stuff that parents are supposed to do.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:24 AM