Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ramadan
Ron
post Jul 12 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 277

I know it's nothing to do with Newbury but I couldn't believe my eyes when I read on tellytex that Stoke-on-Trent council have issued guidelines for the forth coming Ramadan period. Amongst them, apparently, is one that suggests schools should stop swimming lessons during that period in case a Muslim child takes in some water, and thus breaks their fast. Whatever next! How far is this one sided approach to religion going to go?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 12 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I can appreciate that areas with a high Musilm population need to "cater for their audience", but that also includes not disrupting everyone else.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 12 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

It was the same when we were a Pagan nation and Christianity was forced upon us by the Romans. We had to start abiding and respecting Christian laws. What comes around, goes around. I knew we should have stayed pagan wink.gif

+Quote Post
gel
post Jul 12 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Sickening how his family now crawling out of woodwork defending their murdering familiy member,
and how cruel police & media were.

Strikes me Police were far too patient, and I'd expect if police come across someone with a weapon,
that if he/she ignored their request to drop weapon & surrender, they'd be authorised to use lethal force.

And I see Gazza attended as he was his mate; yes what combined brainpower that was. blink.gif

Yes the inept Temporary Chief Constable reminded me not of Maggie, but her Spitting Image puppet.

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jul 12 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

QUOTE (gel @ Jul 12 2010, 10:32 PM) *
Sickening how his family now crawling out of woodwork defending their murdering familiy member,
and how cruel police & media were.

Strikes me Police were far too patient, and I'd expect if police come across someone with a weapon,
that if he/she ignored their request to drop weapon & surrender, they'd be authorised to use lethal force.

And I see Gazza attended as he was his mate; yes what combined brainpower that was. blink.gif

Yes the inept Temporary Chief Constable reminded me of not Maggie, but her Spitting Image puppet.

oops gel wrong post!

+Quote Post
Mark NWN
post Jul 13 2010, 08:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 907

Good morning.

Part of this thread has been deleted because it contravenes the rules of the site.

It would be preferable for users to police themselves, but should the rule breaking continue the thread will be completely deleted.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Jul 13 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ Jul 13 2010, 09:21 AM) *
Good morning.

Part of this thread has been deleted because it contravenes the rules of the site.

It would be preferable for users to police themselves, but should the rule breaking continue the thread will be completely deleted.

Thank you.

Surely the aim of a society is to put aside your differences and work together for the greater good. Who you pray to should not make a difference to anyone else, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. Once you start forcing change against the greater good, then it becomes an issue.

I come from an area of NYC which speaks over 150 different languages. Somehow we all get along pretty good. If something adverse happens, we cut out that rot before it spreads.

Just leave your differences on your door step and we all may just get along a litte bit better. biggrin.gif

Phil D

+Quote Post
Ron
post Jul 13 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Jul 13 2010, 09:38 AM) *
Just leave your differences on your door step and we all may just get along a litte bit better. biggrin.gif

Phil D

But that is just the point! 'They' don't want to leave it at their door step. 'They' want to shove their beliefs down my throat at every oportunity. Having worked extensively in the near and middle east I don't see the 'leave it at the door step' there either!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Jul 13 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

QUOTE (Ron @ Jul 13 2010, 10:22 AM) *
But that is just the point! 'They' don't want to leave it at their door step. 'They' want to shove their beliefs down my throat at every oportunity. Having worked extensively in the near and middle east I don't see the 'leave it at the door step' there either!

Hi Ron,

When your on their doorstep, then they have a right to do what they want.

Most European nations were born on Christian beliefs. France has taken some pretty strong steps to assure forced assimilation.

The U.S. tries to ensure seperation between church and state, sometimes too far in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with a range of cultures living in one society, as long as understanding that you are working for the greater good of the population and state. If you are working for yourself, then you are in a minority and will feel like a minority.

Personally, I tend to ignore the vocal minority who tend to insult the integrity of the silent majority who get on with their lives.

Phil D

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 13 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

'assimilation'

Someones been watching too much Star Trek laugh.gif

Now where are those damned Borg?

+Quote Post
Ron
post Jul 13 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Jul 13 2010, 11:22 AM) *
Hi Ron,

When your on their doorstep, then they have a right to do what they want.

Most European nations were born on Christian beliefs. France has taken some pretty strong steps to assure forced assimilation.

The U.S. tries to ensure seperation between church and state, sometimes too far in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with a range of cultures living in one society, as long as understanding that you are working for the greater good of the population and state. If you are working for yourself, then you are in a minority and will feel like a minority.

Personally, I tend to ignore the vocal minority who tend to insult the integrity of the silent majority who get on with their lives.

Phil D

Not only the French. I believe the Netherlands and that very 'tolerant' country Switzerland have also taken action.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 13 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

How is this "shoving their beliefs down your throat"?

Also how is the general attitude toward religion in education one sided in favour of Islam. Aren't the school holidays generally scheduled around Christian festivals for example?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 13 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Ron @ Jul 12 2010, 09:26 PM) *
I know it's nothing to do with Newbury but I couldn't believe my eyes when I read on tellytex that Stoke-on-Trent council have issued guidelines for the forth coming Ramadan period. Amongst them, apparently, is one that suggests schools should stop swimming lessons during that period in case a Muslim child takes in some water, and thus breaks their fast. Whatever next! How far is this one sided approach to religion going to go?

It has also been suggested that school exams be moved as they fall during Ramadam.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 13 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 13 2010, 05:41 PM) *
How is this "shoving their beliefs down your throat"?

Also how is the general attitude toward religion in education one sided in favour of Islam. Aren't the school holidays generally scheduled around Christian festivals for example?

Christmas is now called Winterval. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 13 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 13 2010, 06:03 PM) *
It has also been suggested that school exams be moved as they fall during Ramadam.

This is to help those that otherwise might be compromised, rather than an attempt to undermine culture.

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 13 2010, 06:08 PM) *

Not as far as I know it is. Anyway, since when has consensus worried about the religious context of the 25th and the 26th of December?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 13 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 13 2010, 06:08 PM) *
Since when, I've never heard it called this.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 13 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Doesn't that go for all religions? Maybe we should ban all religions; in the name of fairness.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 13 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jul 13 2010, 06:52 PM) *
Since when, I've never heard it called this.

Yes you have.... jayjay has just said it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 13 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 13 2010, 08:21 PM) *
Doesn't that go for all religions? Maybe we should ban all religions; in the name of fairness.

At least the Tories have said that they will jump on the teaching of Creationism in schools, which was a very real risk.

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/11255

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 13 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 13 2010, 08:33 PM) *
At least the Tories have said that they will jump on the teaching of Creationism in schools, which was a very real risk.

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/11255

I didn't know that, but if that is the case then that is brilliant; and so it should be.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:46 PM