IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Insured' motors, Will the police PLEASE take some action?
spartacus
post Aug 26 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

I'm getting fed up at the moment with the amount of young drivers who are buzzing around my local roads and just causing mayhem...
1. Speeding? Check
2. Inappropriate/reckless driving? Check
3. Exhaust that would wake the dead? Check
4. Lowered suspension? Check

Your average PC rarely gets 'hands-dirty' involved with speed enforcement (FAR easier to just rely on static cameras to do their work these days)
The stock response to catching the buggers and the inappropriate driving is "Well unfortunately we can't be on patrol on all streets to catch them" Fair one.... people in bright yellow jackets by the side of roads tend to slow drivers

But WHY oh WHY can they not do something about the exhausts and lowered suspension type 'illegal mods'?
It must be hellishly simple for the police to organise a swoop on the normal hangouts for lads in their Corsas of an evening in Tescos car park or wherever....

"Are you insured for this vehicle young man?"
"Yes officer"
"I see you've got an exhaust pot you could fit a tree trunk down, an induction kit under the bonnet and the bottom of the vehicle is just about touching the ground with that snazzy suspension.... Does your insurance company know that this is a modified vehicle??"

90% of those tugged by the police would not be insured for the motors they have. My son's mates all seem to be driving around in 'insured' cars, but they've ALL got these bleedin' induction kits which they haven't declared to their insurers. Are the police doing much about it to stop this? Nah... not TVP in West Berkshire anyway

But the Met are doing it so why don't our boys in blue....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8181419.stm

Come on Newbury plod! It's not like there's a riot every weekend to contend with in sleepy Berkshire. GET A GRIP!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 26 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

We have a resident local female Peeler on here. I am sure she will gladly take up your case.... probably arrest you in the process for bringing their failure to our attention laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Aug 27 2009, 02:56 AM
Post #3

Guests

Personally I'd crush every Hummer, insured or not wink.gif

Can't stand the bloody things and the number of times I've been cut up by one sliding 4 lanes across traffic to make their off ramp is beyond absurd. The original Hummer is the worst, the H2 disgusting and even the H3 is over the top.

A question for Ossy if reading (love that there is a resident officer here - lends a touch of class to the proceedings and it's nice to get word from the horse's mouth). With regards to the car units, how often are they on patrol versus being response units? Presumably they are on patrol when asked to respond but I'm not sure on this. If on patrol, do they have set routes that would take in known trouble areas? Cheers.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 27 2009, 06:09 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 26 2009, 11:58 PM) *
I'm getting fed up at the moment with the amount of young drivers who are buzzing around my local roads and just causing mayhem...
1. Speeding? Check
2. Inappropriate/reckless driving? Check
3. Exhaust that would wake the dead? Check
4. Lowered suspension? Check

Your average PC rarely gets 'hands-dirty' involved with speed enforcement (FAR easier to just rely on static cameras to do their work these days)
The stock response to catching the buggers and the inappropriate driving is "Well unfortunately we can't be on patrol on all streets to catch them" Fair one.... people in bright yellow jackets by the side of roads tend to slow drivers

But WHY oh WHY can they not do something about the exhausts and lowered suspension type 'illegal mods'?
It must be hellishly simple for the police to organise a swoop on the normal hangouts for lads in their Corsas of an evening in Tescos car park or wherever....

"Are you insured for this vehicle young man?"
"Yes officer"
"I see you've got an exhaust pot you could fit a tree trunk down, an induction kit under the bonnet and the bottom of the vehicle is just about touching the ground with that snazzy suspension.... Does your insurance company know that this is a modified vehicle??"

90% of those tugged by the police would not be insured for the motors they have. My son's mates all seem to be driving around in 'insured' cars, but they've ALL got these bleedin' induction kits which they haven't declared to their insurers. Are the police doing much about it to stop this? Nah... not TVP in West Berkshire anyway

But the Met are doing it so why don't our boys in blue....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8181419.stm

Come on Newbury plod! It's not like there's a riot every weekend to contend with in sleepy Berkshire. GET A GRIP!!

All of what you have asked the police to do happens in bucket loads. I do it myself.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 27 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

This thread demonstrates an interesting attitude. All over this blog are posts complaining that the Police should be out catching 'real criminals' and not concentrating on speeding motorists. Presumably whilst the focus was on boy racers - the Stroud Green trees would be getting it big time. Sure, the answer is more police but then we'll hear how we simply can't afford the above inflation council tax rises etc. Its not just the Police who need to get a grip folks!

NB - I am not a Policeman and freely admit to being on the receiving end of their attention as my wallet will testify.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 27 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

As far as insurance goes regarding modifications, if you have mods that you have not declared, you're third party part of your insurance is still valid. Most of the time so is the rest of it too, the insurers will normally take money out of the settlement though.This is why insurance is so expensive, especially for young lads, as they are the main offenders. My point being (in defence of the police) they will find out if a car is insured, they can't really be expected to delve into the finer points of a contract between two parties to see how much extra cover they have.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 27 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

This reminds of a neighbour, who was constantly ringing the police to complain about the local lads and their cars, in fact what she called their lack of action, became a bit of an obsession with her.

She soon changed her tune when her 18 year old son was arrested for supplying heroin to other youngsters, all of a sudden they were over zealous, picking on young lads and should be out catching real criminals. rolleyes.gif (her words not mine)

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 27 2009, 09:14 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 27 2009, 08:44 AM) *
This thread demonstrates an interesting attitude. All over this blog are posts complaining that the Police should be out catching 'real criminals' and not concentrating on speeding motorists. Presumably whilst the focus was on boy racers - the Stroud Green trees would be getting it big time. Sure, the answer is more police but then we'll hear how we simply can't afford the above inflation council tax rises etc. Its not just the Police who need to get a grip folks!

NB - I am not a Policeman and freely admit to being on the receiving end of their attention as my wallet will testify.

The issue is that the Police should be pursuing all crime. Lets face it, if there is a law past about a particular issue then it should be upheld otherwise what's the point.
For my part, picking and choosing which crime will be investigated is not acceptable and if there is not enough resources to manage the job then more funds should be allocated.
Lets divert money from the benefits sink that allows 6 million people to be not only sitting on their backsides but probably commiting the crimes as well.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 27 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 27 2009, 08:44 AM) *

We don't need more police officers; we need the police we've got to take action, followed by the courts. What is more police going to do? Just sweep the problem in a different direction.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 27 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 27 2009, 10:14 AM) *
For my part, picking and choosing which crime will be investigated is not acceptable and if there is not enough resources to manage the job then more funds should be allocated.
Lets divert money from the benefits sink that allows 6 million people to be not only sitting on their backsides but probably commiting the crimes as well.

How about a 10% increase in taxation to cover it?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 27 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Sarah @ Aug 27 2009, 09:54 AM) *
She soon changed her tune when her 18 year old son was arrested for supplying heroin to other youngsters, all of a sudden they were over zealous, picking on young lads and should be out catching real criminals. rolleyes.gif (her words not mine)

Well, I hope you said to her that in this case they obviously were. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Aug 27 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 27 2009, 10:53 AM) *
Well, I hope you said to her that in this case they obviously were. wink.gif

I was tempted, but decided in the end to say that I'd never had cause for complaint and that we should speak as we find. tongue.gif Bit of a cop out really.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 27 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 27 2009, 09:18 AM) *
As far as insurance goes regarding modifications, if you have mods that you have not declared, you're third party part of your insurance is still valid. Most of the time so is the rest of it too, the insurers will normally take money out of the settlement though.This is why insurance is so expensive, especially for young lads, as they are the main offenders. My point being (in defence of the police) they will find out if a car is insured, they can't really be expected to delve into the finer points of a contract between two parties to see how much extra cover they have.

I don't often agree with you but you are spot on, modifications do not mean that insurance becomes invalid if you have not informed your insurance company.

Edited - I have just spoken to direct line who state that if they are over 25 they will be added to policy if under 25 the insurance will be null and void depending on the mod. BUT that is only one company they are all different. However if I could not contact the insurance company at the roadside I would not be seizing it.

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Aug 27 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Spartacus - did you read the thread about boy racers. The police were doing what you asked and the boy racers were complaining of harrasment. Can't do right for doing wrong again!!!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 27 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

The Third Party section of your insurance will remain valid regardless of any vehicle modifications.

Remember, modification can include any options added above the standard build of your car. For example, you pay extra for a different radio/CD player, you have to delcare it to be covered. Same goes for Air-con, sunroofs, leather seats etc. etc.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 27 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 27 2009, 10:53 AM) *
How about a 10% increase in taxation to cover it?

Very amusing. I would bet that the money would be available if it was not being wasted by this pathetic goverment.
If we didn't have to support such a high levels of lazy feckless spongers there wouldn't be a problem with funding.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 27 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Governments come and Governments go and the only difference is the name of the party.

Everyone wants the public services, yet strangely enough seem reluctant to pay for them. New car? Yes please. 50" flat screen TV? I'll have 2. £100 off every tax payer to keep their local A&E department open? Ummmm, sorry can't afford that.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 27 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 27 2009, 11:16 AM) *
Governments come and Governments go and the only difference is the name of the party.

Yep, I agree with you there. None of them really represent the man/woman in the street.

Everyone wants the public services, yet strangely enough seem reluctant to pay for them. New car? Yes please. 50" flat screen TV? I'll have 2. £100 off every tax payer to keep their local A&E department open? Ummmm, sorry can't afford that.

Yes, but some of that has to do with so many people successfully abusing the system and the bills being payed by the same working members of society who pick up the tab time and again.
I am fed up of hearing about those living on benefits who pay nothing towards the services they milk.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 27 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Perhaps they should scrap the whole welfare system. No state pensions, no benefits etc.

Just be careful you don't suddenly find yourself in a position where you need them. Being hoisted by ones own petard can be rather painful. wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 27 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Sarah @ Aug 27 2009, 09:54 AM) *
This reminds of a neighbour, who was constantly ringing the police to complain about the local lads and their cars, in fact what she called their lack of action, became a bit of an obsession with her.

Again, an NWN report this week - someone up for failing to do his community service. Apparently with a fair amount of previous for house breaking and the like. The excuse he gave was that he had a very strong personal view against drugs, but had been set to work alongside a convicted druggie. Making him do that was agaisnt his principals. For once justice was done, he got sent down - perhaps he might reflect on what the druggie felt like, being made to work with a convicted felon.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:44 PM