> Europe - In or Out, Straw Poll for Forumisters
Turin Machine
post Aug 26 2017, 09:12 AM
Post #901

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 26 2017, 10:03 AM) *
Quite, but not really surprising given that for nigh on fourty years every populist wrong in our society has been blamed on 'Europe' making us do something or stopping us putting something right.

Wouldn't be funny if it wasn't true.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 26 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #902

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

Quite, but not really surprising given that for nigh on fourty years every populist wrong in our society has been blamed on 'Europe' making us do something or stopping us putting something right.

Maybe there lies the answer . Now we no longer have the EU as a foil for our every move we are lost as to what to do . May have to wait a couple of generations before we learn to stand on our own two feet again.

I wonder how many sleepless nights Cameron endures over his decision to hold a referendum ?

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 26 2017, 10:34 AM
Post #903

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

It will be interesting to see who the red-tops will blame after we leave.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Aug 26 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #904

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 26 2017, 11:34 AM) *

Well, the wail will blame Corbyn, the Guardian will blame the Tories and every one will blame anybody over 40!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Aug 27 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #905

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 26 2017, 11:34 AM) *

I was under the impression that the tabloids were more interested in the chest size of any respective member rather than the political niceties of such a boring subject as the Country's future .

The cynic in me concludes that all this diddling is contrived to drive the pound down so as to encourage exports . What we actually manufacture in order to export I will leave to your imaginations but there is always an alternative agenda.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 27 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #906

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 27 2017, 07:29 PM) *
I was under the impression that the tabloids were more interested in the chest size of any respective member rather than the political niceties of such a boring subject as the Country's future .

The cynic in me concludes that all this diddling is contrived to drive the pound down so as to encourage exports . What we actually manufacture in order to export I will leave to your imaginations but there is always an alternative agenda.

They may not be too interested in the future, but they're enthuiastic blamers.

+Quote Post
Rdg
post Aug 29 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #907

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,577

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Aug 27 2017, 07:29 PM) *

That only works as long as the inputs to those manufactured goods are from inside the UK, if they need to be imported then their price will rise due to the same exchange rate move and the only advantage to us will be the profit margin's change in value - as we import a lot of our food (not been self sufficient in that since before Napoleonic times) the price of food will rise and thus either the workers making those manufactured good will want a payrise (reducing the profit margin) or it will be the workers who take the hit as reduced living standards. Also as the lower paid you are the greater the % of your income spent on essentials (food and shelter) they will take a disproportionate hit due to those raised food prices (even our Bread is mainly made from imported Canadian Wheat as our commercial varieties are lower gluten content feed rather than milling grade)

So a falling pound only serves as a temporary boost to the economy - if we had a balance of trade surplus it would be a different story but........

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 29 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #908

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Rdg @ Aug 29 2017, 09:30 AM) *
That only works as long as the inputs to those manufactured goods are from inside the UK, if they need to be imported then their price will rise due to the same exchange rate move and the only advantage to us will be the profit margin's change in value - as we import a lot of our food (not been self sufficient in that since before Napoleonic times) the price of food will rise and thus either the workers making those manufactured good will want a payrise (reducing the profit margin) or it will be the workers who take the hit as reduced living standards. Also as the lower paid you are the greater the % of your income spent on essentials (food and shelter) they will take a disproportionate hit due to those raised food prices (even our Bread is mainly made from imported Canadian Wheat as our commercial varieties are lower gluten content feed rather than milling grade)

So a falling pound only serves as a temporary boost to the economy - if we had a balance of trade surplus it would be a different story but........

Actually, all this does is put street lights on the road we were on as part of the EU. France and Germany in particular were making sure we had nothing to trade and hence they aren t exactly upset that we are leaving!

On a similar vein, apparently 'Brexit' is being blamed for a shortage of nurses. The NHS has relied on EU nurses for some time and they are starting to stop coming. What a surprise! Anyone have any clues as to why we've consistently failed to attract and retain UK staffs?

Frankly, In or Out, economically Britain's future is very bleak.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

46 Pages V  « < 44 45 46
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:03 PM