IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TONIGHT - Euro Hustings - hosted by Newbury UNA, Thursday 15th May, 19:30 St Nicholas's Church Hall, West Mills, N
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post May 15 2014, 09:41 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 303

The Newbury Branch of The United Nations Association is hosting the Euro Hustings

at

St Nicholas's Church Hall, West Mills, Newbury, RG14 5HG.

Thursday 15th May, 19:30

Confirmed Parties participating:

Conservative: Nirj Deva MEP

Greens: Miriam Kennet

Labour: Anneliese Dodds

Liberal Democrats: Ian Bearder

Ukip: Ray Finch

Liberty GB: Jack Buckley

Peace Party: John Morris

English Democrats: Steve Uncles

For further information, pls contact Graeme Panting, UNA Newbury, oxfamexploration@hotmail.co.uk

Whether you are a Eurosceptic, Europhile, or not sure this w=should be an interesting and enlightening evening where YOU can pose your questions to some of the European hopefuls

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 15 2014, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

No invite or ticket necessary?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 15 2014, 01:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Thanks for the advance notice.....

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post May 16 2014, 12:07 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ May 15 2014, 10:41 AM) *
Confirmed Parties participating:

Conservative: Nirj Deva MEP

Greens: Miriam Kennet

Labour: Anneliese Dodds

Liberal Democrats: Ian Bearder

Ukip: Ray Finch

Liberty GB: Jack Buckley

Peace Party: John Morris

[url="http://steveunclesenglishdemocrats.org"]English Democrats: Steve Uncles[/url

All of the above with the exception of the Tory candidate turned up and performed as one would expect. I had been looking forward to meeting the Tory MEP as he hails from my ancestral homeland and I was looking forward to a chat about Sri Lanka in addition to Europe.

The Right Wing and self confessed nationalists candidates competed with each other to be the most patriotic and intolerant and in this Ukip failed with Steve Uncles of the English Democrats winning first place for being a "swiveled eyed loon" with his belief that the United Kingdom should be broken up, followed by the former BNP youth member, but now Liberty GB candidate Jack Buckley, who sported a black roll neck just like his apparent hero Oswald Mosely and spoke of his dislike of democracy.

Sense will hopefully prevail at the ballot box and the Far Right will remain ostracized and away from being able to impose their rather unpleasant policies on us all.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 16 2014, 03:14 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ May 16 2014, 01:07 AM) *
Sense will hopefully prevail at the ballot box and the Far Right will remain ostracized and away from being able to impose their rather unpleasant policies on us all.

Isn't that the big problem with democracy - however much you disagree with another Party if the electorate disagree with you that others policies are not 'imposed' but welcomed?

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post May 16 2014, 07:15 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,791

The Right Wing and self confessed nationalists candidates competed with each other to be the most patriotic and intolerant and in this Ukip failed with Steve Uncles of the English Democrats winning first place for being a "swiveled eyed loon" with his belief that the United Kingdom should be broken up, followed by the former BNP youth member, but now Liberty GB candidate Jack Buckley, who sported a black roll neck just like his apparent hero Oswald Mosely and spoke of his dislike of democracy.

I see the silliness, nastiness and name calling continues, Ruwan. And you talk about tolerance!

I didn't know wearing a black roll neck sweater was now racist or showed support for any particular movement.

BTW, there is an update this morning on the latest Lib Dem sex / child abuse scandal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-27427952

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 16 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

That is a good point.

In some instances, it seems OK to be rude and offensive to people, provided that those people are seen by many as having views that are objectionable. Surely it is the 'Christian thing to do' to treat everyone the same and with respect, regardless of whether they deserve it it or not? This principle is what is at the heart of the Human Rights Act for example, otherwise it sniffs of hypocrisy.

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post May 16 2014, 12:43 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 16 2014, 10:53 AM) *
That is a good point.

In some instances, it seems OK to be rude and offensive to people, provided that those people are seen by many as having views that are objectionable.
Surely it is the 'Christian thing to do' to treat everyone the same and with respect, regardless of whether they deserve it it or not? This principle is what is at the heart of the Human Rights Act, for example; otherwise it sniffs of hypocrisy.

Yes, but:
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
― William F. Buckley Jr. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 16 2014, 01:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Quite.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 16 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

All of the above with the exception of the Tory candidate turned up and performed as one would expect. I had been looking forward to meeting the Tory MEP as he hails from my ancestral homeland and I was looking forward to a chat about Sri Lanka in addition to Europe.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Would this imply that your party doesn't have any critics and unpleasant policies? rolleyes.gif

Why do you think these sort of parties are coming to the fore surely because the three main parties have failed the electorate miserably? unsure.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 16 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Cognosco @ May 16 2014, 06:02 PM) *
Would this imply that your party doesn't have any critics and unpleasant policies? rolleyes.gif

Why do you think these sort of parties are coming to the fore surely because the three main parties have failed the electorate miserably? unsure.gif

I think there's a few things going on:

• Open boarders within the European Community, and the incorporation of Eastern European countries with low domestic wages but a well-educated youth with a fantastic work ethic has swamped the country with employable foreign migrants.
  • These economic migrants boost the British economy by working hard and spending their wages here, and through their industry they produce more more jobs than they consume, but a large proportion of the British blue-collar population just don't like foreigners.
  • Isolationist right-wing xenophobes have conducted a concerted whispering campaign against the European Union, its laws, and its administration, and that, conflated with significant immigration, has turned the public off Europe.
  • The traditional parties, Labour, Conservative, and Lib Dem, have all in their way sickened the public with their self-serving arrogance and sleaze (for Labour it was the lies of Blair, the awfulness of Brown and his economic failure, and the ineffectual public-school-twittishness of the Wallace-like Milliband; for the Conservatives it's the ineffectual public-school-twattishness of the slapped-****-faced Cameron who has delivered none of his promised social agenda; and for the ineffectual Lib-Dems it's the sell-out of joining with their ideological opposites just for a sniff of power, the public-school twotishness of the earnest Clegg and his lie about tuition fees), and Farrage is just about everything that the other politicians aren't - he's human, fallible, personable, he's not particularly slimy, and he comes over honest. People are tired of the slimy self-serving public-school twots who have weedled their way up into the traditional parties, and they quite like this John Bull.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 16 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 16 2014, 07:29 PM) *

• Open borders within the European Community

At present, the UK and the Irish Republic have opted out of Schengen (the only two EU countries to do so). I wonder what would happen to the open border between the UK and Ireland if Ireland decided to change its position.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 16 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 16 2014, 07:29 PM) *

[list]
[*]Open boarders within the European Community, and the incorporation of Eastern European countries with low domestic wages but a well-educated youth with a fantastic work ethic has swamped the country with employable foreign migrants.
[*]These economic migrants boost the British economy by working hard and spending their wages here, and through their industry they produce more more jobs than they consume, but a large proportion of the British blue-collar population just don't like foreigners.

A lot of blue-collar workers don't like seeing their earning potential being wiped out you mean. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 16 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 16 2014, 10:40 PM) *
A lot of blue-collar workers don't like seeing their earning potential being wiped out you mean. rolleyes.gif

The number of blue-collar jobs and the money those jobs pay is determined largely by the health of the economy, and the economy is getting back to normal on the back of the industry of those Eastern European migrants - even UKIP acknowledge that, but very quietly so as not to upset the voters.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 16 2014, 11:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 16 2014, 11:15 PM) *
The number of blue-collar jobs and the money those jobs pay is determined largely by the health of the economy, and the economy is getting back to normal on the back of the industry of those Eastern European migrants - even UKIP acknowledge that, but very quietly so as not to upset the voters.

That might be partly true, but doesn't negate my point.

You say: blue collars don't like foreigners because they are xenophobes. That may or may not be right, but I suspect it is more likely they will be like that if they feel their livelihood is under threat, then they might start drawing conclusions from their observations.

I think it is easy for 'home owning white collar types' from leafy Newbury to sneer at the ignorant (i.e. those swivel-eyed black-jumper wearing racists, etc), but it might carry more kudos if it came from people who have seen their environment change beyond recognition in the last 10/20 years, and have seen their livelihood devalued in that same time.

I believe people will be less racist if they feel their way of life and outlook is less threatened. Whether they can be justified in feeling the way they do is up for debate, but it would help the debate along a bit if people would avoid using methods of describing people that they otherwise would object to.

Being rude or offensive is still rude and offensive regardless of whether the recipient deserves it or not.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post May 17 2014, 06:09 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Liberty GB candidate Jack Buckley, who sported a black roll neck just like his apparent hero Oswald Mosely and spoke of his dislike of democracy.

The uniform that the Liberal GB representative (and former BNP member) wore was relevant to mention given he spouted the hate rhetoric of what I am sure we all hoped was a bygone period, and as is usual in these situations invent citations and/or inflated statistics to corroborated his venomous comments that are intended to spread fear and prejudice.

I may well be a liberal in belief, but the use of the language of hatred and division in order to promote further intolerance is something that I will continue passionately to challenge at every opportunity and will not apologise for this. Where possible though I challenged the words and deeds of an individual, and in this case the costume that the representative wore was clearly part of the performance. You will note that I have not question the character of the individual concerned.

Ruwan Uduwetage-Perera
Newbury Town Council - Councillour for Victoria Ward and Deputy Leader

+Quote Post
pbonnay
post May 17 2014, 07:27 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ May 17 2014, 07:09 AM) *
The uniform that the Liberal GB representative (and former BNP member) wore was relevant to mention given he spouted the hate rhetoric of what I am sure we all hoped was a bygone period, and as is usual in these situations invent citations and/or inflated statistics to corroborated his venomous comments that are intended to spread fear and prejudice.

I may well be a liberal in belief, but the use of the language of hatred and division in order to promote further intolerance is something that I will continue passionately to challenge at every opportunity and will not apologise for this. Where possible though I challenged the words and deeds of an individual, and in this case the costume that the representative wore was clearly part of the performance. You will note that I have not question the character of the individual concerned.

Ruwan

You started a thread advertising a public meeting where there was going to be representation from different parties. You then attended the meeting and your feedback to the people of Newbury is:

"The Right Wing and self confessed nationalists candidates competed with each other to be the most patriotic and intolerant and in this Ukip failed with Steve Uncles of the English Democrats winning first place for being a "swiveled eyed loon" with his belief that the United Kingdom should be broken up, followed by the former BNP youth member, but now Liberty GB candidate Jack Buckley, who sported a black roll neck just like his apparent hero Oswald Mosely [sic] and spoke of his dislike of democracy."

And, as an elected councillor, that is your considered and balanced summary of the meeting? Nothing positive, constructive or even interesting; just name calling and hysterical comparisons?

You and your party are running a negative and scare-based campaign - exactly what you criticise your opponents of doing.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 17 2014, 09:00 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

Ruwan Uduwetage-Perera

And your party is any better? unsure.gif

Your party reneged on most of what they promised just to get a seat and catch a few droppings at the Conservative banqueting table! I am afraid that the majority of politicians over the last few decades have all spouted just what the electorate want to hear just to gain votes and then completely did what they wanted after getting elected.
I don't suppose any of the speakers that attended the event were any different from each other in that respect?

Please remember that you can stop people uttering "hate and Rhetoric" but you will never be able to stop what they think or believe. Politicians are all the same they say one thing whilst thinking something entirely different and until that is amended then the electorate are always going to treat them as something nasty they have trodden in until they prove they are different! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 17 2014, 11:13 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Ruwan Uduwetage-Perera

Uniform? You only describe clothes. Where are the descriptions of the attire of the other attendees?

Sounds a bit biased to me, if not intolerant

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 17 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Who are you talking about now? tongue.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:12 AM