3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NO2 Levels in Newbury A339
Washwaterman
post Mar 6 2014, 08:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,018

I suppose no one has thought about removing the traffic lights and allowing traffic to free flow, with the possibility of reducing the NO2 levels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 6 2014, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Funny how we have 2 threads going at the moment about traffic congestion and NO2 levels in the town approximately 18 years after we were told "the by-pass will solve Newbury's traffic problems once and for all"! laugh.gif

I think we are lead to believe that the traffic lights on the roundabouts are there for safety reasons rather than improving traffic flow?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 6 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 6 2014, 08:45 AM) *
Funny how we have 2 threads going at the moment about traffic congestion and NO2 levels in the town approximately 18 years after we were told "the by-pass will solve Newbury's traffic problems once and for all"! laugh.gif

I think that is a bit of a red herring. Just imagine what the traffic would be like if you add to the current traffic, the flow down the by pass.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 6 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 6 2014, 06:46 PM) *
I think that is a bit of a red herring. Just imagine what the traffic would be like if you add to the current traffic, the flow down the by pass.

One or two delays would be far better than the whole town system being gridlocked.
Just look at the robin hood 'crapabout' when you want to go north from Shaw road.

Surely, the traffic could be monitored to feed into computer modelling to sort out what we have is a bloody fuel and time consuming mess.

Whoever is responsible for the light synching through Thatcham for example, needs a rocket up their jacksy!!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 6 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

The by pass was never installed to improve Newbury's traffic problems; it was installed to alleviate a North/South traffic black spot

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 6 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The role of the bypass was to solve the A34 traffic's problem with Newbury, not Newbury's problem with traffic.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 6 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Yes, that's right about the bypass, but I suspect Biker is like me, who can remember hearing the likes of dear old Dave Rendel and his chums talking seriously about de trunking the old route and turning it into a single carriage way. I can recall walking away from hearing that when they were round canvassing - trying to turn my OH who was a snail sympathiser!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 6 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

The lights at the KFC/Sainsburys roundabout?
It would be carnage without them.

All of the light sequences in the area need rethinking and reprogramming with some common sense though. Plenty of times they stop you when there's nothing coming, to slow you down.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 6 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 6 2014, 11:04 PM) *
Plenty of times they stop you when there's nothing coming, to slow you down.

Perhaps that's part of their function in a built up area, acting as a speed control...

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 7 2014, 12:31 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

or where I just floor it to get through them...?

*And no Exhausted, I don't actually do that. tongue.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 7 2014, 12:34 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

But the best part is that part of the plan to lower NoX levels is to allow thousands more houses plus God knows how many distribution depots to surround the town. "Elementary my dear Watson".

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 7 2014, 08:45 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 6 2014, 11:04 PM) *
The lights at the KFC/Sainsburys roundabout?
It would be carnage without them.

In the few times I have seen them fail, the general feedback has been that traffic has flowed better. I don't know about any official statistics, but unofficially people seem to prefer it.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 7 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 6 2014, 10:30 PM) *
The by pass was never installed to improve Newbury's traffic problems; it was installed to alleviate a North/South traffic black spot

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 6 2014, 11:44 PM) *
The role of the bypass was to solve the A34 traffic's problem with Newbury, not Newbury's problem with traffic.

You are both right if course, but that is how it was sold to the people of Newbury, if you remember, who fell for it hook, line and sinker!
And now, as a result, we are left with congestion and excessive NO2 levels.
When the by-pass was built the opportunity should have been taken to solve Newbury's traffic as well.
Either by using a different route or diverting other traffic round the town with maybe new river and railway crossings, or maybe a combination of both.
The Parkway single carriageway bridge, built by the then Lib Dem council was/is a farce!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 7 2014, 08:54 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 7 2014, 10:45 AM) *
In the few times I have seen them fail, the general feedback has been that traffic has flowed better. I don't know about any official statistics, but unofficially people seem to prefer it.

Like I said, it is not about traffic flow, it is about safety.
I wonder how many crashes there would be if the lights were taken away at either roundabout?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 7 2014, 09:05 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I was merely referring to the quote from MM that it would be carnage without them. During those short periods of failure, I don't recall any accidents.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 7 2014, 10:11 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 7 2014, 08:47 AM) *
The Parkway single carriageway bridge, built by the then Lib Dem council was/is a farce!

I agree. But at least one carriageway was better than none, as is the case now.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 7 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 7 2014, 08:47 AM) *
You are both right if course, but that is how it was sold to the people of Newbury, if you remember, who fell for it hook, line and sinker!

I don't really remember it like that. The decision was based purely on the cheapest option with the least inconvenience (at the time). The route was never selected for any other reason that I can remember being debated. It was common knowledge back then that the by-pass would not cure the traffic problems long term. Here's a link to demonstrate that (regarding the year 1996): http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2530307.stm

I seem to remember David Rendel endorsing the by-pass, but I would imagine that was more about endorsing a by-pass than that particular route.

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 7 2014, 08:54 AM) *
Like I said, it is not about traffic flow, it is about safety.
I wonder how many crashes there would be if the lights were taken away at either roundabout?

I think it is more about controlling flow AND avoiding accidents that cause tailbacks. The 'death rate' at that junction was never really a concern I doubt.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 7 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 7 2014, 08:45 AM) *

That depends on which approach leg you're on and where you want to get to. I'd bet that on a busy peak period trying to get onto the thing in the first place from the Kings Road/Sainsburys side would be a challenge for inexperienced motorists looking for the gap, whereas motorists using the A339 would think it's an improvement.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 7 2014, 06:39 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 7 2014, 02:17 PM) *
The decision was based purely on the cheapest option with the least inconvenience (at the time). The route was never selected for any other reason that I can remember being debated.

That's right.
It was common knowledge back then that the by-pass would not cure the traffic problems long term.

Not with those without their head in the sand!
The "pro" lobby sold it to supporters in Newbury by saying that it would.
Here's a link to demonstrate that (regarding the year 1996): http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/s...000/2530307.stm

The link you have provided gives a statement by the anti by-pass groups.
The pro by-pass message was that Newbury would have no traffic issues once open.
Rendel was a staunch promoter of this message.

The question now is ---- We have a by-pass and traffic congestion and pollution levels in Newbury are STILL unacceptable.
So what do we do now??

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 7 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 7 2014, 06:39 PM) *
The pro by-pass message was that Newbury would have no traffic issues once open.

That's not true.

"Yet supporters of the scheme say the new road will provide essential relief to the congested town centre. "

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:31 PM