Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hungerford turn off is dangerous for cyclists
GMR
post Jul 17 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Was it this year or last year that the council changed the lane layout that took you either to Hungerford or the right turn off to the Robin Hood roundabout? Before they changed the lane layout the lane structure was friendly to cyclists. Since they’ve changed it, it has become more dangerous for cyclist because they have to manoeuvre to the middle of the road so that we can take the right lane towards the Robin Hood direction. Why change it when it was so friendly to all sorts of transport? When I contacted the traffic section I was told that no deaths had occurred and that not many people have complained, apart from cyclists. However, “should an accident occur or there is a death because of the lane layout we will re-examine the situation.” Brilliant! Let us pray for an accident or death so that future cyclist can be safe. That is what I could forward planning.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 17 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

The irony now, of course, is that should the lay-out change back, it would become dangerous for cyclists again as cars turning left would not expect a cyclist to follow the line round and cut in front of them! I'd hop on the pavement and dive down the subway.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 17 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 17 2009, 07:58 PM) *
The irony now, of course, is that should the lay-out change back, it would become dangerous for cyclists again as cars turning left would not expect a cyclist to follow the line round and cut in front of them! I'd hop on the pavement and dive down the subway.

The amount of times I've been told that; police for example. The only trouble with that idea is that we would be giving in. The Government and council initiative is to get more people to cycle or take public transport or walk. If they want us to do that then they must make the the roads safe for us cyclists.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 17 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't really see how it's dangerous, I'm not disagreeing, I would just like further explanation please....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 17 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 17 2009, 09:14 PM) *
I don't really see how it's dangerous, I'm not disagreeing, I would just like further explanation please....

Well..... when you start off cycling you are in the left lane – with cars constantly behind you and over taking you – you’ve then got to manoeuvre into the middle of the two lanes so that you can go towards the Robin Hood roundabout. I don’t know if you’ve tried it but it is hair-raising and dangerous. Usually car drivers show no respect to cyclist; thus causing near misses.

Now I know you'll probably say take an easier route or use the subway; but that defeats the object of using that particular route. And as the government want more and more of us to use our cycles (not only for the obvious reasons, but also so the nation gets more exercise) then they should make sure our roads are safe enough for us cyclists.

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Jul 17 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

Maybe you should get onto the council to install a cycle lane?

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 17 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nicster09 @ Jul 17 2009, 10:10 PM) *

That is the next thing on my agenda laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 17 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 17 2009, 09:27 PM) *
Now I know you'll probably say take an easier route or use the subway;

Nope, just never done it and was curious, thanks for the explanation. I think you have a point, but will resist trying it myself.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 17 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 17 2009, 10:31 PM) *
Nope, just never done it and was curious, thanks for the explanation. I think you have a point, but will resist trying it myself.

It is always best to let somebody else be the guinea pig laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 17 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I understand what you mean and I agree in principle, but this particular junction, I think, is too busy, even for cycle lane. I'd rather use the subway for all sorts of reasons, including that it might be quicker to get to the Hermitage Road. If the council's budget is limited, I'd rather they invest in other areas of cycling comfort and convenience. I don't think it is a wise investment to install a cycle lane that would more than likely be used by fewer cyclists than the one at St John's Roundabout!

In a nutshell, there are roads that I think anything other than a motor vehicle shouldn't use and this is one of them.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 17 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 17 2009, 11:19 PM) *
I understand what you mean and I agree in principle, but this particular junction, I think, is too busy, even for cycle lane. I'd rather use the subway, for all sorts of reasons, including that it might be quicker to get to the Hermitage road. If the council's budget is limited, I'd rather they invest in other areas of cycling comfort and convenience. I don't think it is a wise investment to install a cycle lane that would more than likely be used by fewer cyclists than the one at St John's Roundabout!

In a nutshell, there are roads that I think anything other than a motor vehicle shouldn't use and this is one of them.

..... in other words if a cyclist wants to travel on that route then he must expect the unexpected? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 17 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 17 2009, 11:23 PM) *
..... in other words if a cyclist wants to travel on that route then he must expect the unexpected? laugh.gif

Certainly! wink.gif You see, speaking personally, I wouldn't want to be on that road on a push bike. It is too noisy, smelly and intimidating. Like I said, I'd rather use the subway, even if there were a green lane painted on the road. To me, I think your principles on this one, whether well founded or not, are getting in the way of practicality.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 17 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 17 2009, 11:28 PM) *
Certainly! wink.gif You see, speaking personally, I wouldn't want to be on that road on a push bike. It is too noisy, smelly and intimidating. Like I said, I'd rather use the subway, even if there were a green lane painted on the road. To me, I think your principles on this one, whether well founded or not, are getting in the way of practicality.

Oh, you are not the first person to have told me this... and I doubt if you'll be the last. laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Jul 19 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (nicster09 @ Jul 17 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Not really sure if a cycle lane would work here. As I see it, it would either have to follow the same lanes that cars use, in which case you'd still be left with the same situation, or else go around the edge of the roundabout, cutting across all A339, the town centre entry and exit roads, and then the A4. If this were the case, it could only be a matter of time before there's a rather nasty accident.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 19 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Branston Pickle @ Jul 19 2009, 02:42 PM) *
Not really sure if a cycle lane would work here. As I see it, it would either have to follow the same lanes that cars use, in which case you'd still be left with the same situation, or else go around the edge of the roundabout, cutting across all A339, the town centre entry and exit roads, and then the A4. If this were the case, it could only be a matter of time before there's a rather nasty accident.

Either way there is going to be a very nasty accident.

Actually a cycle lane could work. They have one down the other end of town that is on the roundabout by the church. If the bike is going around it the cars are supposed to stop to allow the bike to finish its route.

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Jul 19 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 19 2009, 03:32 PM) *
Either way there is going to be a very nasty accident.

Actually a cycle lane could work. They have one down the other end of town that is on the roundabout by the church. If the bike is going around it the cars are supposed to stop to allow the bike to finish its route.

I'm assuming you mean the St Johns Roundabout? If I am thinking of the right one, it's a completely different scenario, being a lot less busy, with only one or two lanes going round it, and is not controlled by traffic lights. On the Robin Hood, drivers look more at the lights than the traffic coming from the right.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 19 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Branston Pickle @ Jul 19 2009, 03:54 PM) *
I'm assuming you mean the St Johns Roundabout? If I am thinking of the right one, it's a completely different scenario, being a lot less busy, with only one or two lanes going round it, and is not controlled by traffic lights. On the Robin Hood, drivers look more at the lights than the traffic coming from the right.

Yes I meant St John’s roundabout. And I wasn’t talking about using that system for the Robin Hood roundabout as it wouldn’t work. No, I am talking about using that system for the Hungerford turn off. Picture the road markings as they were before and instead of using them use a cycle lane markings instead. Probably with a warning sign up saying “Beware of cyclists” or “cyclists manoeuvring” or something like that. Whatever; you are not going to stop cyclists using that lane and the only way they can get there is by going across one lane to get to the other so that they can head towards the Robin Hood roundabout. As the council/ or highway patrol said; until there is an accident the road markings will stay the same. So; if we want cyclists to be safe at the Hungerford turn off then we better pray for an…

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 19 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

The safest thing to do is ban cyclist from using the road! tongue.gif As for sign posts, they don't seem to stop drivers impaling their cars on bollards. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 19 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

The planners obviously considered that section of road a concern when it was built, hence the underpass.

Just because there is a road there, doesn't mean it's suitable for cycling on. That's why cycles are banned from motorways.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 19 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 19 2009, 05:40 PM) *
The safest thing to do is ban cyclist from using the road! tongue.gif As for sign posts, they don't seem to stop drivers impaling their cars on bollards. wink.gif

Wouldn't the safest option be to ban everybody from the roads? laugh.gif

As for bollards; I don't believe the drivers saw the signs because they were too close to the buses.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:21 AM