> Arson attacks
JeffG
post Jun 26 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

From a current news item:

In a second attack, Wash Common youngsters were heartbroken after a well-used piece of play equipment was destroyed by a suspicious blaze on Monday night.

{snip}

However, another local resident, who asked not to be named, but who campaigned against the playground being built in the first place, said: “Trees caught alight too, which is a danger to the houses close to the park.
“I think they have wasted their money.”

What a sad attitude: deny youngsters a much-used play area, because of the actions of a couple of criminals, who will hopefully be caught soon.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 26 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 26 2009, 11:16 AM) *
From a current news item:

What a sad attitude: deny youngsters a much-used play area, because of the actions of a couple of criminals, who will hopefully be caught soon.

Yes, and what happens when they are caught? Probably a ticking off and sent on their way. If they are under a certain age then the parents must suffer the consequences and if they are over 16 thrown in jail.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jun 26 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

That is disgusting, my little girl loves that park (probably the best in Newbury) and in particular that log swing thingy! idiots....morons....losers....aaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh it just makes my blood boil!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 26 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Jun 26 2009, 12:20 PM) *
That is disgusting, my little girl loves that park (probably the best in Newbury) and in particular that log swing thingy! idiots....morons....losers....aaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh it just makes my blood boil!

It is a nasty business. Talking about nasty business I only caught the tail end of it on he local news but it seems kids have been torturing pets. Where are the parents. I walk the dog about 1 in the morning and a couple of young kids were out with their mates. Again, were are the parents?

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 27 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 26 2009, 01:01 PM) *
It is a nasty business. Talking about nasty business I only caught the tail end of it on he local news but it seems kids have been torturing pets. Where are the parents. I walk the dog about 1 in the morning and a couple of young kids were out with their mates. Again, were are the parents?

Pissedfully unaware! angry.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 27 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:08 PM) *
Pissedfully unaware! angry.gif

Exactly!!! sad.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jun 28 2009, 02:55 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

With 6 weeks of school holidays just around the corner, this is just the beginning.

Time for some curfews?

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jul 7 2009, 01:53 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Does anybody know if this has been repaired or has it been left with just the charred out remains?

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post Jul 8 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

Sorry im just a bit lazy finding out, where exactly is this park? I haven't heard of any news about an arson attack.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 8 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (Good Boy Racer @ Jul 8 2009, 12:43 PM) *
Sorry im just a bit lazy finding out, where exactly is this park? I haven't heard of any news about an arson attack.

It's the park that was opened last year on Blossoms Field, Wash Common.

An excellent facility enjoyed by many children who are all upset by it as are we parents.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 8 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Darren @ Jun 28 2009, 03:55 AM) *
With 6 weeks of school holidays just around the corner, this is just the beginning.

Time for some curfews?

Most of the trouble makers don't even bother with school.

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Jul 8 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (JMH @ Jul 8 2009, 05:00 AM) *
It's the park that was opened last year on Blossoms Field, Wash Common.

An excellent facility enjoyed by many children who are all upset by it as are we parents.

Very sad. I was a cub scout at the hut in Wash Common (probably gone now, though let me know if you know otherwise - it was rundown 20 years ago!) - shame that local families lose out yet again from the actions of yobs.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 9 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Jul 8 2009, 08:14 PM) *
Very sad. I was a cub scout at the hut in Wash Common (probably gone now, though let me know if you know otherwise - it was rundown 20 years ago!) - shame that local families lose out yet again from the actions of yobs.

Rest assured, the scout hut is still a thriving concern! The Wash Common scout group has 2 Scouts groups, 2 Cub groups and a Beavers unit and is run by some excellent leaders! (No, I'm not one of them but my son is a scout). In fact, I was in that very hut last night for a meeting about the Wings Scout camp in August which is going to host 4100 scouts and guide from 3 continents. smile.gif

And as of yet, the burnt piece of equipment has yet to be repaired/replaced.

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Jul 9 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JMH @ Jul 9 2009, 08:43 AM) *

That will be a lovely sight for all the innocent liitle children to see. Ah well let the vandals win.

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Jul 9 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (JMH @ Jul 9 2009, 12:43 AM) *
Rest assured, the scout hut is still a thriving concern! The Wash Common scout group has 2 Scouts groups, 2 Cub groups and a Beavers unit and is run by some excellent leaders! (No, I'm not one of them but my son is a scout). In fact, I was in that very hut last night for a meeting about the Wings Scout camp in August which is going to host 4100 scouts and guide from 3 continents. smile.gif

Thanks JMH, great to hear that 1st Wash Common is alive and well. Hope the Wings Scout camp goes well, sounds enormous!!! Does the hut still have corrugated iron walls/roof? Does the kettle work yet tongue.gif

I suspect with funds being what they are, we won't see any repairs/replacement soon sad.gif

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 10 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Jul 9 2009, 04:52 PM) *
Thanks JMH, great to hear that 1st Wash Common is alive and well. Hope the Wings Scout camp goes well, sounds enormous!!! Does the hut still have corrugated iron walls/roof? Does the kettle work yet tongue.gif

I suspect with funds being what they are, we won't see any repairs/replacement soon sad.gif

Yes the hut does still have corrugated walls and roof! I have no idea about the kettle though, I think they may have upgraded to an urn. unsure.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:06 AM