Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tally Ho Pub
dannyboy
post Aug 17 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

Anyone else thinking that if the locals had used their local a bit more when it was open as a pub they'd not now be trying to stop the building being converted to a different use?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Aug 17 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

In a word, no.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 17 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Aug 17 2012, 03:54 PM) *
In a word, no.

but are you now?

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Aug 17 2012, 03:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

Well, funnily enough, yes. That thought is in my mind.

After all, people never know what they have got, until it's got. And then something about putting up a parking lot.. Ohhhhh, Mmm, Bap , bap , bap.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 17 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

I often think that when a local shop or a pub closes because of lack of trade.
How many of those people who complain about the loss of their local amenity would be prepared to subsidise and keep open a business that was losing money because of lack of support. If they don't want it to close then they should put their money where their mouth is.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 17 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Aug 17 2012, 09:58 PM) *
I often think that when a local shop or a pub closes because of lack of trade.
How many of those people who complain about the loss of their local amenity would be prepared to subsidise and keep open a business that was losing money because of lack of support. If they don't want it to close then they should put their money where their mouth is.

I used to live in the depths of the Cotswolds. Our local petrol garage was sold & shut. It was the only garage for many, many miles. the Uproar over it closing caused quite a stir. The owner was unrepentant. He claimed that most of the folk who came in bemoaning its closure were people he'd never seen before, or who popped in for a pint of milk at 10:15pm on a saturday night once in a blue moon.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 18 2012, 08:12 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I've said it before and I'll say it again........................
"The people gets what the people wants!" (or doesn't want!)

If you want a pub to remain in a particular location then use it.
If you don't want a Tesco in a particular location don't use it and it will go.
(This of course applies to the populous in general and not to an individual person.)

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 18 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Community-owned pubs have re-opened successfully in other places - I'm thinking specifically about The Harrow at Little Bedwyn, but I have an idea it's been done elsewhere too.

A badly run pub won't attract a viable level of trade, but that doesn't mean that a well run pub in the same location couldn't be viable.

Edit: Hm, maybe one of my less informed posts - you can tell I've never actually been in: The Harrow isn't a "pub", it's a fancy restaurant now.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 18 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I can only agree Simon Kirby.If you don't provide what customers want,you'll be gone.
A Pub slightly too far away from my home closed, and 3 neighbouring house owners bought it.
It was well by "sell by" date. They turned it around and it is thriving. I have been a couple of times.
We have often had to stand,as it is as packed as the Paddington train.
ce.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 18 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Aug 18 2012, 11:50 AM) *
I can only agree Simon Kirby.If you don't provide what customers want,you'll be gone.
A Pub slightly too far away from my home closed, and 3 neighbouring house owners bought it.
It was well by "sell by" date. They turned it around and it is thriving. I have been a couple of times.
We have often had to stand,as it is as packed as the Paddington train.
ce.

There are always these "heartwarming" stories about the locals taking over pubs and shops and "turning them round". To be honest, I do not believe that this ever happens unless the locals run it as a charity with unpaid volunteers and spend their hard earned cash on renovation and cleaning without any thought of taking any income.

If you have a business which is your liveliehood and it doesn't earn enough money to at least break even, why waste time and bash your bank balance to please a few locals who suddenly wake up to the fact that the pub they never use and probably never will is about to close its doors.

I have a plan for any local pub or shop which the villagers want to remain open. It goes like this.......

Everybody in the village pays £20.00 per month into the pub (or shop) no cop outs, everybody pays. In return, you get a voucher for the value of your contibution. The voucher can be spent in the premises but expires at the end of the following month if not used.
This way, the premises have continued income, everybody gets to spend their investment. Job done.!!!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 18 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I agree with your point Simon Kirby It is hard in strange places to keep things going without a quirk.
It is rich kids. Going to visit parents. At the family farm..

We will do the "Dappling duck" first......I don't even have a farm.

My own are just as bad.
ce

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Aug 18 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Aug 18 2012, 02:11 PM) *
Everybody in the village pays £20.00 per month into the pub (or shop) no cop outs, everybody pays. In return, you get a voucher for the value of your contribution. The voucher can be spent in the premises but expires at the end of the following month if not used.

And you would force Methodists, recovering alcoholics, teetotalers, Muslims, Catholic Christians, members of the Temperance Union, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, most Pentecostals, certain Fundamentalist Christians, and those in the Wesleyan Holiness tradition to pay?

And when you say "everybody pays", do you mean one payment per household or one payment for each person above the legal age? What sanctions do you envisage for those who refuse to pay? What if you pay per person, and your child goes off to Uni and becomes a teetotaler? Do you get cash back?

Glad you've thought it through though.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 18 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Aug 18 2012, 07:55 PM) *
And when you say "everybody pays", do you mean one payment per household or one payment for each person above the legal age? What sanctions do you envisage for those who refuse to pay? What if you pay per person, and your child goes off to Uni and becomes a teetotaler? Do you get cash back?

Feel free to come up with a solution then.
If you can't do better, I hope that you are not one of the community bemoaning their loss, including the Methodists, recovering alcoholics, teetotalers, Muslims, Catholic Christians, members of the Temperance Union, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, most Pentecostals, certain Fundamentalist Christians, and those in the Wesleyan Holiness tradition.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Aug 18 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

And you think any of those would mourn the loss of a Pub?

Still not thought it through.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 19 2012, 08:20 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Aug 18 2012, 07:55 PM) *

Off topic, sorry, but that's a great sentence to get someone learning English to read aloud! Quite tough. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Aug 19 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Squelchy @ Aug 18 2012, 09:47 PM) *
And you think any of those would mourn the loss of a Pub?

Still not thought it through.

Probably not but you haven't offered a solution or do you believe, as I do, that business owners are entitled to do what they like with their own business and that if the locals want it to stay open then they would have to foot the bill. Sort of like the government subsidising Railtrack or Northern Rock. (Should be renamed National Rock )

This was my first suggestion by the way...

There are always these "heartwarming" stories about the locals taking over pubs and shops and "turning them round". To be honest, I do not believe that this ever happens unless the locals run it as a charity with unpaid volunteers and spend their hard earned cash on renovation and cleaning without any thought of taking any income.

Like the charity shops in town for instance

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 19 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Ummm interesting idea! Charity pubs - could be run by MAFXO, a chafrity which helps rich fat people biggrin.gif Agree with your general point though, a pub is a business like any other. Country pubs can't exist with a few buolic locals who still manage to work on the land. Personally, I don't know very many who would really miss them - if they are being honest.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Aug 19 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (On the edge @ Aug 19 2012, 12:07 PM) *
Ummm interesting idea! Charity pubs...

The co-op runs pubs on just these lines. See http://www.co-operative.coop/enterprisehub...o-open-in-July/

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 19 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

All joking apart a cooperative might just work.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 19 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

I do agree with all comments of course.
There was a pub in Stiffkey ,north Norfolk . No Vicars were involved.
We were exploring in 1985. A sign on the door said. Sorry folks I have retired.

Well life moves on, I guess the landlord passed away. The amazing thing is that
the bar room has remained the same judging by folks with clay pipes in photos on the wall.
I think the dust is still the same after 25 years.
ce

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:55 PM