5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> King Charles Tavern closed?
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 11 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #41

Guests

Back on topic..............

I saw Paddy loading up a transit van this morning, so they are definitely off.

I hope whatever venture he has planned is successful.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 11 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Yes. Good luck to him. I can't see other tied Pub's lasting either. I'm afraid the breweries are killing the Goose that lays the egg as its slave labour to run a tied house. I think there should be some legisilation to deal with the breweries with regard to this issue. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 11 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 11 2010, 10:11 AM) *
Yes. Good luck to him. I can't see other tied Pub's lasting either. I'm afraid the breweries are killing the Goose that lays the egg as its slave labour to run a tied house. I think there should be some legisilation to deal with the breweries with regard to this issue. angry.gif

You're right, as the closure of so many pubs across the country is a fundamental change in the culture of Gt Britain. The local pub was a focal point for many villages and the greed that seems to have permeated the pub trade is changing this. Pubs should be subject to some legislation that allows them to be profitable without expoiting the public by ever increasing unreasonable prices and protects them from being sold for developement.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 11 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 11 2010, 12:17 PM) *
You're right, as the closure of so many pubs across the country is a fundamental change in the culture of Gt Britain. The local pub was a focal point for many villages and the greed that seems to have permeated the pub trade is changing this. Pubs should be subject to some legislation that allows them to be profitable without expoiting the public by ever increasing unreasonable prices and protects them from being sold for developement.

Legislation is unlikely - a recent report from the Monopolies Commission (or whatever they are called these days) came out in favour of allowing the pubcos to continue to use all of their restrictive practices.

It would also be very difficult to legislate to ensure profitability - like it or not people don't go to the pub as much as they used to, so pub closures are inevitable. The pub closures are not the fundamental change in the culture of Gt Britain if the culture had remained the same pubs would have survived, there just isn't the demand to keep them going.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 11 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Pubs are profitable, but due to the way breweries operate, it is difficult for talented people to reap the benefits of their skill. The better you are, the more they screw you.

We have to realise, though, that we don't know if this is the case in this instance! We have no official reason for why this is happening. Things are not always what they seem.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 11 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 11 2010, 12:51 PM) *
Pubs are profitable, but due to the way breweries operate, it is difficult for talented people to reap the benefits of their skill. The better you are, the more they screw you.

We have to realise, though, that we don't know if this is the case in this instance! We have no official reason for why this is happening. Things are not always what they seem.

Pubs are not always at the hands of the brewery, if a Landlord doesn't want to be tied there is always the good old Free House.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 11 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

A good question then, how many freehouses are there in the Newbury district?

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 11 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #48

Guests

The blanket ban on smoking hasn't helped either.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Aug 11 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 11 2010, 01:17 PM) *
A good question then, how many freehouses are there in the Newbury district?

No idea, however you don't have to be tied to the brewer - Green King for example offers the option of being "free" but you either have to pay a higher rent or a higher purchase price for the lease - I can' remember which.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 11 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 11 2010, 12:17 PM) *

But when the pubs do try to make prices more customer friendly they get slagged off for encouraging drinking.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 11 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Somebody remind me how much of the cost of a pint of beer goes to the government...

I think the reason that fewer people go to pubs these days is that they (the pubs, not the people!) have been taken over by binge-drinking kids, or at least that is the impression one gets.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 11 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 11 2010, 02:30 PM) *
Somebody remind me how much of the cost of a pint of beer goes to the government...

I think the reason that fewer people go to pubs these days is that they (the pubs, not the people!) have been taken over by binge-drinking kids, or at least that is the impression one gets.

Drink driving laws have affected trade as well. Back in the 70s and early 80s many more people risked it. Times have changed and for the better but this is another factor.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 11 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 11 2010, 02:34 PM) *
Drink driving laws have affected trade as well.

Perhaps for country pubs. But for pubs close to centres of population (e.g. town centre), where most people walk to and from, I don't think that's a significant factor.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 11 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Aug 11 2010, 02:08 PM) *
But when the pubs do try to make prices more customer friendly they get slagged off for encouraging drinking.

They do with 2 for 1 and happy hour schemes, but what we are talking about are pints for around £3.50. £2.50 seems a more appropriate price to me, without turning me into a raging Oliver Reed.

You have excise duty* per pint (manufacturing charge), plus VAT, which is charged at retail price.

* http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/hmexshmanual/hmexsh5020.htm

"For a pint of 4% beer, 37.4p goes in just excise duty, not counting the VAT of 17.5%. This excise duty rises to 50p for a 5% strength brew. In contrast just 7p is spent on the raw materials such as hops and barley."

http://money.uk.msn.com/your-cash/articles...entid=152536149

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 11 2010, 02:34 PM) *
Drink driving laws have affected trade as well. Back in the 70s and early 80s many more people risked it. Times have changed and for the better but this is another factor.

Smoking ban
Less drink driving
Internet/email/social networking
Game consoles
Licensing laws
24 hour supermarkets and inexpensive offsales
More use of recreational drugs
More TV/DVDs
Mobile phones and the cost of making phone calls
Health awareness

Are things I can think of that might affect pub usage.
QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 11 2010, 02:50 PM) *
Perhaps for country pubs. But for pubs close to centres of population (e.g. town centre), where most people walk to and from, I don't think that's a significant factor.

Yes, but in a situation where it is not likely to be any one thing, it all adds up.

+Quote Post
Ted Maul
post Aug 11 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 990

Personally I take after my dad, Ive never really liked pubs, and would rather spend £4 on 4 cans and sit at home with them than £3.66 on one pint in a crowded bar.

Tell people you like a few cans at home and you get funny looks though wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 11 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I like to have a clear head at home; unless it is after I've been to the pub!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 12 2010, 08:45 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

A mate spoke to Patrick on Sunday: apparently he had a lean few months a while back, but he did invest money of his into this pub, but he has now had enough as making any reasonable margin is too hard. Rents were an issue mentioned, but there wasn't any mention about The Diamond Tap.

This is all word-of-mouth you understand.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Aug 12 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Aug 11 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Pubs are not always at the hands of the brewery, if a Landlord doesn't want to be tied there is always the good old Free House.

A huge number of pubs are tied to pubcos, probably more than are tied to breweries.

However, Greene King, owners of the KC, are one of, if not the, biggest breweries in England in terms of the number of pubs they own (approaching 2,000).

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Aug 12 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Iommi @ Aug 12 2010, 09:45 AM) *
A mate spoke to Patrick on Sunday: apparently he had a lean few months a while back, but he did invest money of his into this pub, but he has now had enough as making any reasonable margin is too hard. Rents were an issue mentioned, but there wasn't any mention about The Diamond Tap.

This is all word-of-mouth you understand.

I heard simular as well. Making a living is one thing but making a profit is another

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post Aug 12 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (blackdog @ Aug 12 2010, 10:46 AM) *
A huge number of pubs are tied to pubcos, probably more than are tied to breweries.

However, Greene King, owners of the KC, are one of, if not the, biggest breweries in England in terms of the number of pubs they own (approaching 2,000).

I don't know if you are a member of CAMRA, Blackdog, but you are saving me an awful lot of time and effort in posting this essential information!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:13 AM