> King Charles Tavern closed?
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 10 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Aug 10 2010, 11:49 AM) *
I walked up Northbrook street today and the amount of slovenly and scruffy women pushing prams was depressing. Not to mention the neanderthals aimlessly wandering around.

I hope you managed to avoid eye contact with the 'scum' otherwise you would have been sworn at. I did well yesterday. I was only asked for money by 2 beggars (well I say beggars but they were 15 to 25 year olds looking for there next 'hit' of god knows what). I never actually carry any money on me anymore for this reason.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 10 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (joe2009 @ Aug 10 2010, 11:42 AM) *
Unfortunately, rents are to high and trade too little.. Weathersponns has hoovered up all the Chavs and persons dependant on drink. This gives them volume and allows them to churn out drinks at low prices.

If you are happy to share a pint with ex cons and pikeys while paying not a lot, then that is fine. The KC however was a nice environment with respectable people, and it is such a shame to see it go!!

Your post makes no sense.
If Whetherspoons has 'hoovered' up all the 'chav & pikey' trade & the KC has had to close because of this loss in trade one must assume the the KC's customers were 'chavs & pikeys'.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 10 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 10 2010, 12:04 PM) *
I hope you managed to avoid eye contact with the 'scum' otherwise you would have been sworn at. I did well yesterday. I was only asked for money by 2 beggars (well I say beggars but they were 15 to 25 year olds looking for there next 'hit' of god knows what). I never actually carry any money on me anymore for this reason.

TDH - you must live in a different town to me.

no-one I know has been mugged & I have never been asked for cash. Do you go looking for trouble?

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 10 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #24

Guests

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 10 2010, 11:45 AM) *
No wonder Wetherspoons is so busy then. Chavghanistan (Newbury) has now got an abundance of such undesirables.

I should have got copyright on that name TD&H! wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Aug 10 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 10 2010, 12:18 PM) *

no-one I know has been mugged & I have never been asked for cash. Do you go looking for trouble?

He probably lives in the same one as me. Cycling into town a day or so back, two thickets amusing themselves on a bike; one sitting on the handlebars. I tried to over take - wide road, but no, they didn't like that. Next thing, one then rode into my back mudguard! I didn't say a word, save use my mobile to call the Police. They then disappeared - of couse. Then, this very morning, 'Guv, can you spare some loose change, need to feed the dog'. Where are the Police? Where are the PCSOs Where are the Wardens? Weren't the Neighbourhood Action Groups set up to prevent this sort of thing? None of it is working! If you think it is, look around you.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 10 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #26

Guests

Dannyboy.

My wife was mugged by an addict when halfway through her pregnancy and I've been asked for cash by the same 2 or 3 blokes in town (often strategically sat on the bridge over the canal in Northbrook Street) loads of times.

Also I was once asked for fags by a group of 4 girls, none of which could have been more than about 14, on the Craven Road/Bartholomew Street junction. when I refused and continued on my way one of them yelled the C word at me at the top of her voice.

So no TD&H is not exagerating what occurs in Newbury.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 10 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Aug 10 2010, 12:32 PM) *
Dannyboy.

My wife was mugged by an addict when halfway through her pregnancy and I've been asked for cash by the same 2 or 3 blokes in town (often strategically sat on the bridge over the canal in Northbrook Street) loads of times.

Also I was once asked for fags by a group of 4 girls, none of which could have been more than about 14, on the Craven Road/Bartholomew Street junction. when I refused and continued on my way one of them yelled the C word at me at the top of her voice.

So no TD&H is not exagerating what occurs in Newbury.

My mean counternance must either mark me out as some-one not to be messed with, or one of their own.

I can honestly say I have never, ever felt intimidated, threatened, or ill at ease in Newbury, day or night.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Aug 10 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 10 2010, 01:14 PM) *
My mean counternance must either mark me out as some-one not to be messed with, or one of their own.

I can honestly say I have never, ever felt intimidated, threatened, or ill at ease in Newbury, day or night.

I still regularly walk in and out of town from where I live (about 15 minutes away) as I refuse to be intimidated, but I am now more wary than I used to be.

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Aug 10 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

Maybe you need to read these stories then dannyboy !!!

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14207

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14206

Walking through the town on Saturday I felt quite intimidated walking past the Diamond Tap as there was a large group of very loud men outside and then the same thing walking past the Snooty Fox where there was a gang of drunken youths outside there and also a gang in the church garden and it was only 6 o'clock .... I have been shouted at by the drunks at St Nics in the past and try and avoid that area now

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 10 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Aug 10 2010, 01:35 PM) *
Maybe you need to read these stories then dannyboy !!!

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14207

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=14206

Walking through the town on Saturday I felt quite intimidated walking past the Diamond Tap as there was a large group of very loud men outside and then the same thing walking past the Snooty Fox where there was a gang of drunken youths outside there and also a gang in the church garden and it was only 6 o'clock .... I have been shouted at by the drunks at St Nics in the past and try and avoid that area now

I have read the stories.

I have bought a milkshake in MooJuice & sat on the low wall around the main entrance to St Nicholas' many times since the place has opened & not once have I had any problems.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 10 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

I get asked for cash nearly every day. I suppose its because I wear a suit and work in town. Quid Pro Quo = Easy target. Perhaps you live / work outside of Central town and only go into town with groups of other people?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 10 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 10 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I have read the stories.

I have bought a milkshake in MooJuice & sat on the low wall around the main entrance to St Nicholas' many times since the place has opened & not once have I had any problems.

Take a day off on a nice Sunny day and do the same. Might be best to make it Giro day.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 10 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 10 2010, 02:05 PM) *
Take a day off on a nice Sunny day and do the same. Might be best to make it Giro day.

every day I did this it was sunny - hence the pressing need for a cold drink.

I don't wear a suit.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Aug 10 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

I have a use for such characters....

I hear there is great demand for mine clearance in many banana republics and Afghanistan...clumsy candidates welcome.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 10 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Aug 10 2010, 12:26 PM) *
I should have got copyright on that name TD&H! wink.gif

Well I thought it quite apt!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 10 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Yes, shame it couldn't have stayed in its own thread! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Aug 10 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

I must look menacing as well. wink.gif I cant recall the last time I was asked for spare change or a ciggie and I am in town, smartly dressed, most days. The only chugging I get is from the Big Issue seller outside W H Smith. Maybe I don't expect to be asked, walk purposfully and don't look like a target. I feel perfectly safe in the town centre at any time of ther day or night. The only places I am a bit wary is the underpasses.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 10 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Aug 10 2010, 05:39 PM) *
I must look menacing as well. wink.gif I cant recall the last time I was asked for spare change or a ciggie and I am in town, smartly dressed, most days. The only chugging I get is from the Big Issue seller outside W H Smith. Maybe I don't expect to be asked, walk purposfully and don't look like a target. I feel perfectly safe in the town centre at any time of ther day or night. The only places I am a bit wary is the underpasses.

Ditto, though even the underpasses are fine by me.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 11 2010, 07:40 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 10 2010, 05:44 PM) *

I guess everyone feels safe until they fall victim themselves. I used to like dogs. After I got bitten by one I am a little more wary now. Don't worry DannyBoy - I'm sure your time will come (not that I wish ill on anyone). sad.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 11 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 10 2010, 05:44 PM) *
QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Aug 11 2010, 08:40 AM) *
I guess everyone feels safe until they fall victim themselves. I used to like dogs. After I got bitten by one I am a little more wary now. Don't worry DannyBoy - I'm sure your time will come (not that I wish ill on anyone). sad.gif

Coincidently: http://forum.newburytoday.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=854

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:47 AM