IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

47 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Halal, why should we put up with this?, If fox hunting with dogs is outlawed, why not Halal?
Andy Capp
post Jan 3 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I don't agree. That is because this country is largely made up of ill-informed people. I'd be happier if there was some kind of competency test.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 3 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #62

Guests

I agree with you Andy in principle however the point of a democracy is that the people get to vote. Even if the people are morons.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 3 2012, 07:58 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 3 2012, 07:49 PM) *
I agree with you Andy in principle however the point of a democracy is that the people get to vote. Even if the people are morons.

Why should it be assumed 'democracy' is the truth?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 3 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #64

Guests

blink.gif

Well, I thought (excuse me if I'm wrong) that a democracy was rule of the majority. So a selective majority is what you'd want? Fine by me, but on what criteria?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 3 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

'Democracy' as currently propagated, has become the method by which ego-driven politicians justify what they do

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 3 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 3 2012, 08:11 PM) *
blink.gif Well, I thought (excuse me if I'm wrong) that a democracy was rule of the majority. So a selective majority is what you'd want? Fine by me, but on what criteria?

No; I'm simply asking why should it be assumed any democracy is best? Why should it be assumed that equal power to everyone, is best for everyone?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 3 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government, except all the others that have been tried.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 3 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #68

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 3 2012, 08:42 PM) *
No; I'm simply asking why should it be assumed any democracy is best? Why should it be assumed that equal power to everyone, is best for everyone?

Hmm, I suppose. tongue.gif I mean I always found in group conflicts that normally things were resolved by doing a vote and siding with the majority. Unfortunately the minority in that case may get crapped on - And perhaps it's the minority who were right.

So huh.gif... Idk, Governments are complicated and you're never going to make everyone happy. But on policies which directly affect the people they should at least get a say? I'm not sure laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 4 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I think maybe the point of this thread has, as usual, drifted away from the OP's point which is, do the majority of people in this country think it acceptable to slit an animal's throat while it is still concious and, if not, should it be allowed to continue, regardless of culture or religion?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 4 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #70

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 4 2012, 09:25 AM) *
I think maybe the point of this thread has, as usual, drifted away from the OP's point which is, do the majority of people in this country think it acceptable to slit an animal's throat while it is still concious and, if not, should it be allowed to continue, regardless of culture or religion?

Correct, and 'no'.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jan 4 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 4 2012, 09:25 AM) *

Thank you Biker1.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 4 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #72

Guests

When a thread goes from the original posting subject to another due to converstaion by posters it's called a "spinoff" and is part of forums. If everyone stuck solidly to the original subject threads would be very short and full of one and two word replies.

But yes animals should be stunned which (nearly) everyone has agreed on.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 4 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #73

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Having read some on line articles about this, some (most? all?) Muslims are perfectly happy with animals being stunned before being slaughtered. So it would seem to be a non-problem that could be resolved by legislation.

Another article (this was by some vegetarian organisation, so maybe not unbiased) said that major supermarkets when asked said they either did not supply Halal meat at all, or the animal was stunned before slaughter. Link

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Jan 4 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #74

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 4 2012, 11:42 AM) *
Having read some on line articles about this, some (most? all?) Muslims are perfectly happy with animals being stunned before being slaughtered. So it would seem to be a non-problem that could be resolved by legislation.

Another article (this was by some vegetarian organisation, so maybe not unbiased) said that major supermarkets when asked said they either did not supply Halal meat at all, or the animal was stunned before slaughter. Link

This is generally my understanding from what I have read. Most Muslims agree that the animal should be stunned first, but some hardliners disagree - which could lead to an abhorrent and cruel situation which should be stamped out with the enforcement of legislation.

I was under the impression that Halal meat was in the shops and restaurants far more than we realise, and this does not particuarly bother me as long as the animal is slaughtered in the most humane way possible.. but perhaps it would be nice to be able to make an informed choice.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 5 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #75

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Jan 4 2012, 07:27 PM) *
perhaps it would be nice to be able to make an informed choice.

Presumably, if you buy a kebab it's going to be Halal meat, so there's one easy choice to make.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 5 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #76

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 5 2012, 11:26 AM) *
Presumably, if you buy a kebab it's going to be Halal meat, so there's one easy choice to make.

Should one make a choice on a presumption? Perhaps it would be better to become better informed first?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 5 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #77

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 5 2012, 11:28 AM) *
Should one make a choice on a presumption? Perhaps it would be better to become better informed first?

Probably, yes. Since I have never bought a kebab, the point is moot in my case. My assumption was based on the fact that kebab = Turkish = Muslim. Perhaps someone would like to ask on my behalf?

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Jan 10 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #78

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

As a vegetarian I personally am uncomfortable with the slaughter of any animals whether it is done in the halal, Kosher of general manner, and I say this as someone whose family farm sheep and other livestock.

I do though benefit from the by-products of others carnivorous tendencies for I do like my leather seats in the car, and the shoes that I wear.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Jan 10 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Jan 10 2012, 12:23 PM) *
As a vegetarian I personally am uncomfortable with the slaughter of any animals whether it is done in the halal, Kosher of general manner, and I say this as someone whose family farm sheep and other livestock.

I do though benefit from the by-products of others carnivorous tendencies for I do like my leather seats in the car, and the shoes that I wear.

An animal should not be slaughtered for food, but it's ok if it is done for your vanity?

You are joking?

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jan 10 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I like both meat and veg. A favourite is a basic Cauliflower Cheese. Cheese on toast for a lunchtime snack.
I have 2 most wondrous Aubergines left over from my Christmas veg display. Probably about 500 gms each.

They need to be cooked soon. Car seats and shoes won't work for me made from dried aubergine..
So I think I will roast and freeze. Maybe a curry in the cold weather approaching. I have Veg cookbooks.

I have had problems with young friends of my children,who became vegetarians and then Vegans.
It was a bit of a revolt at the time. It was a nightmare. I had to take a magnifying glass to check on food.
They are all carnivores now. I think it was the bacon sarnie that did it for most of them.

As for the bigger topic. I feel the general rule should be simple. "All for one and one for all"

+Quote Post

47 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:32 PM