Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whats happend by George and Pelican?
Rosewinelover
post Feb 10 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 966

Heard tonight that it has been taped off, forensic etc, someone may of been stabbed?

Anyone know?

I was in town last Thursday having a meal and a few drinks, glad I'm not tonight if this is whats happenin in our town.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
urZah
post Feb 11 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 378

A man got beaten up by a group of lads outside Debenhams at around 6.30pm.
No idea on the motive though.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 11 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

With fear of sounding like GMR, it seems Newbury is slowly descending into quite an ugly place to be. Never mind; we've got our new fancy state of the art CCTV system to rely on. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 11 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 11 2011, 12:38 AM) *
With fear of sounding like GMR, it seems Newbury is slowly descending into quite an ugly place to be. Never mind; we've got our new fancy state of the art CCTV system to rely on. unsure.gif

That camera failed to pick up the attack on the furniture shop, now it is fully operational I'm sure it will be able to provide the police with images of the culprits.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Feb 11 2011, 08:44 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

ahhhh that explains the man sat on the floor covered in blood by the kennet centre car park last night at about 18:15. Didn't see any police about or a group of lads.

He was being looked after by what i thought to be a friend.

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 11 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 11 2011, 08:10 AM) *
That camera failed to pick up the attack on the furniture shop, now it is fully operational I'm sure it will be able to provide the police with images of the culprits.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 11 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 11 2011, 08:10 AM) *

I suggest you find out exactly how CCTV works. ( a clue - it isn't like in 'Enemy of the State' for example ).

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 11 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Well, that camera outside Octupus is a dome and should be rotating. If it was working, it will have picked up the incident. There are other cameras in the area, surely they will have picked the incident too?

What possible explanation would there be for this incident not being picked up???

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 11 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Perhaps it has mind you.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 11 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I really hope it has. Can you imagine there being no images after everyone being told that the CCTV is now recording and operating successfully?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 11 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 11 2011, 10:04 AM) *
Well, that camera outside Octupus is a dome and should be rotating. If it was working, it will have picked up the incident. There are other cameras in the area, surely they will have picked the incident too?

What possible explanation would there be for this incident not being picked up???

Jeez,

Cameras do not have an all seeing eye. The have pretty good lenses, PTZ, but unless the camera happens to be facing at an incident it won't be recorded. So, if a camera is pointing away from any event, it won't be picked up.

Secondly, for the camera to be controlled - such as zoomed in, panned to follow an incident etc it would need the operator to be actually watching the feed from that camera at the coincidental time of the event.
So, even if a camera is looking directly at an incident all you'll have is a recording - which is why so often on TV programmes made up of such footage the 'action' often is out of focus, fails to zoom & pan & isn't that good at recording crime. Alternatively the camera can be set to sweep a certain field of view - but again unless there is someone controlling the camera all you'll get is a 'now you see it, now you don't' playback.

Cameras are very good at recording people & movements which is why the Police often ask for CCTV when a person goes missing. The cameras, even if fixed in a single plane & left at a single focal length will record day to day activity. And therefore can pick up those involved in, or the victims of, crime. If, and it is a big if, they are known.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 11 2011, 10:37 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Totally agree with most of that. What I am saying is that if the cameras are working, we will have something. The dome cameras are supposed to rotate unless manually operated, so if they are working, they would have been rotating. If the cameras were operating successfully, they would be monitored in Windsor and the operator would have seen the incident and zoomed in to get better images.

The only way we won't have anything is if the camera was not "operating successfully". Whether that's because it wasn't rotating, wasn't being monitored or whatever, if there are no images it will be pretty difficult to explain, as the council had said on Tuesday that all of the cameras in Newbury are recording and operating successfully.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 11 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 11 2011, 10:26 AM) *
Secondly, for the camera to be controlled - such as zoomed in, panned to follow an incident etc it would need the operator to be actually watching the feed from that camera at the coincidental time of the event.

Quite (if there is an operator monitoring the situation).

If the network is up and running, I would expect at least for there to be footage of people moving into, or away from the incident that would help police with suspects, etc. This might be the case of course.

At the end of the day, CCTV is meant to recoding bad things happening, and if they can't, or if it is luck of the draw that it does, it throws up new questions about the system. I realise that the old system didn't always do this either.

Your go...

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 11 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Feb 11 2011, 10:38 AM) *
This might be the case of course.

At the end of the day, CCTV is meant to recoding bad things happening, and if they can't, or if it is luck of the draw that it does, it throws up new questions about the system. I realise that the old system didn't always do this either.

Your go...

And herein lies the inherent problem with CCTV.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 11 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 11 2011, 10:37 AM) *
Totally agree with most of that. What I am saying is that if the cameras are working, we will have something. The dome cameras are supposed to rotate unless manually operated, so if they are working, they would have been rotating. If the cameras were operating successfully, they would be monitored in Windsor and the operator would have seen the incident and zoomed in to get better images.

The only way we won't have anything is if the camera was not "operating successfully". Whether that's because it wasn't rotating, wasn't being monitored or whatever, if there are no images it will be pretty difficult to explain, as the council had said on Tuesday that all of the cameras in Newbury are recording and operating successfully.

Err, cameras are not monitored all the time. They record all the time, but are not monitored all the time.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 11 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 11 2011, 11:03 AM) *
Err, cameras are not monitored all the time. They record all the time, but are not monitored all the time.

http://newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=15868

A statement released on Tuesday by the authority said: “All of the cameras are operating and recording successfully, and 18 of the 21 cameras in Newbury are being monitored live 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the new control room in Windsor.”

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 11 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 11 2011, 11:07 AM) *
http://newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=15868

A statement released on Tuesday by the authority said: “All of the cameras are operating and recording successfully, and 18 of the 21 cameras in Newbury are being monitored live 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the new control room in Windsor.”

I stand by my statement.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 11 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 11 2011, 10:52 AM) *
And herein lies the inherent problem with CCTV.

...or staffing levels. Or staff's lack of local knowledge.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 11 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 11 2011, 11:18 AM) *
I stand by my statement.

So why would the council issue a statement claiming they are monitored 24 / 7???

This incident in question took place in the afternoon peak, so surely people would have been working at the control room? If this wasn't recorded, there will be no excuses.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 11 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 11 2011, 11:26 AM) *
So why would the council issue a statement claiming they are monitored 24 / 7???

This incident in question took place in the afternoon peak, so surely people would have been working at the control room? If this wasn't recorded, there will be no excuses.

I think you'll find people work in CCTV control rooms 24/7.

That they'll actually be watching every single feed for every second of that time is a different matter.
Who knows, they might be on the phone chatting.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:25 AM