Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Charity bags
Darren
post Jun 24 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

Can I use this forum to ask the various charity shops to get together and come up with a plan on how they cover the houses with collection bags.

Barely a week goes by without one or another appearing in the porch. In one week I had 4 delivered, all from different charities.

I have no problem with the collections themselves as I use them to recycle my fashion 'disasters'. I just with there was a reasonable time between them

Surely it's not that difficult.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 24 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I get quite a few; I use them as bin liners in my kitchen bin. I did ask if they wanted them back and they said no.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 24 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

I have seen quite a few charity bags in Liquid on a Friday night! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Jun 25 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

Agree that there's too many of them now, but best to be aware that some aren't from genuine charities at all, instead they are from profit making traders making money by collecting clothes and other items which are then sorted and sent abroad to be sold on. The claim is that they are providing (very low paid) work for others who sort it and that they are then sold at low cost. Often easy to spot them, unrecognisable charity name, no charity registration number, badly written with spelling mistakes etc, and they often say they will take anything - including underwear! Bags like these should definitely be used as bin liners!

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jun 25 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

Annoying as they are as they never give you enought time to actually go through your old stuff, they are a useful way of getting rid of unwanted goods.

I have a rule that if they say 'No bric-a-brac' I have a free bin liner! If they don't want my 'bric-a-brac' then they're not getting anything!

On a more grown up note, a lot of these legit charities are actually suffering from bag theft! Rogue people know when the bags are being circulated and will go around stealing them all before the charities can pick them up. Aparently the charities are losing a lot of money due to this!

What is the world coming to (and not not reply 'Ravel's Bolero rolleyes.gif '!

+Quote Post
Jobet
post Jun 25 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35

I would rather collect up anything I had useful and take to one of the local Charity shops( like Red Cross or a Heart Charity shop) would know then it is not someone who is collecting for their own profit like re-selling at a a Boot Sale

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jun 25 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Jacklets @ Jun 25 2009, 08:55 AM) *
and they often say they will take anything - including underwear!

If they want my old undercrackers, they can have them. What are the laws on transporting hazardous waste again? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jun 25 2009, 09:56 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (Jobet @ Jun 25 2009, 09:52 AM) *
I would rather collect up anything I had useful and take to one of the local Charity shops( like Red Cross or a Heart Charity shop) would know then it is not someone who is collecting for their own profit like re-selling at a a Boot Sale

laugh.gif Clearly you are not a pack rat and do not have the quantity of good but redundant goods that I have! I would need an HGV for all my stuff so doing it piecemeal is useful.

I agree with your principle though.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 25 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I must have a reputation. I've never seen one of these "charity bags". smile.gif

But then, I have never received a copy of The Advertiser either, which I understand is delivered door-to-door. Perhaps I'm invisible.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 25 2009, 07:00 PM
Post #10

Guests

Who said that? laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:16 PM