IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Fibre optic broadband in your area yet or are you planning to get it?
GMR
post Sep 7 2015, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

According to reports, everybody – or almost everybody – will get Fibre optic broadband by 2017. In my area, it has it and most of Newbury (as in Newbury Town) has it. I was driving through Stockcross today and they are in the process of getting it (I believe by the end of this month). Are you happy with your coverage or don't you have it yet? Are you expecting it or is your area beyond reach?

If you have got it, are you happy with it and what are your speeds?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Sep 7 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Nay lad, good old copper were good enough for Dad, good enough for me. Seriously getting 13Mb, so good enough for my needs.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 7 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Have the Virgin cable, no idea of size, but no issues since they switched on.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Petra
post Sep 7 2015, 06:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,567

Dear all,

Again, we must thank WBC for playing their important part in rolling out Fibre Optics across West Berkshire. We shall lead the way in building West Berkshire into a modern and high tech area, so that big and small business will find a welcome hand when they set their roots down and to build their infrastructure.

My home gets 45 MB and I’ve been very happy with the service and again I must mention WBC for their input behind the scenes in getting us such a wonderful service. There is, nowadays, too much criticism directed at our council officials so it is nice to give a congratulatory well done to them.

Yours

Petra.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 7 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Praise the lord, praise WBC, in fact praise anybody you want, I am just glad I've got it. Before had it, I could just manage 1.9 MBs.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 7 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I live in a populated and affluent area a mile from the town center and have 'F' all fibre, and low grade ADSL max. Screw WBC and BT!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 7 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 7 2015, 07:37 PM) *
I live in a populated and affluent area a mile from the town center and have 'F' all fibre, and low grade ADSL max. Screw WBC and BT!

I am sure that Petra, or WBC, will tell you that you will eventually get it, thanks to her (sorry) WBC. Be happy that you don't have to wait long for 2017, funnily enough, it is roughly the same time that Spurs will have to wait for their new stadium. So we both will have something to cheer about laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 7 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 7 2015, 07:33 PM) *
Praise the lord, praise WBC, in fact praise anybody you want, I am just glad I've got it. Before had it, I could just manage 1.9 MBs.

Let's just hope it's something they have got right. In fact, it's no bad thing for WBC to be facilitating infrastructure improvements; exactly what they should be doing. The only thing that concerns me is that we've only ever had one player, BT. In effect the monopoly fixed line network provider who are also very active in the commercial market place. Arguably, having their cake and being able to eat it. This sits ill with our market forces economy and says much for the weakness of regulation in this area. Why worry? I suspect this state of affairs means we have significantly delayed proper broadband delivery to rural areas and potentially the solution will cost rather more than necessary. Nonetheless, that is hardly the fault of WBC who are doing their level best to house train a monopoly.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Sep 7 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Petra @ Sep 7 2015, 07:15 PM) *
Dear all,

Again, we must thank WBC for playing their important part in rolling out Fibre Optics across West Berkshire. We shall lead the way in building West Berkshire into a modern and high tech area, so that big and small business will find a welcome hand when they set their roots down and to build their infrastructure.

My home gets 45 MB and I’ve been very happy with the service and again I must mention WBC for their input behind the scenes in getting us such a wonderful service. There is, nowadays, too much criticism directed at our council officials so it is nice to give a congratulatory well done to them.

Yours

Petra.

Praise the lord to WBC for wasting more public money to subsidise those who live in the countryside! And no doubt at an inflated price. But it's an excuse for WBC staff to praise their inefficient organisation.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Sep 7 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Sep 7 2015, 06:18 PM) *
Nay lad, good old copper were good enough for Dad, good enough for me. Seriously getting 13Mb, so good enough for my needs.

Surely now't better than t' 'oming pigeon lad? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Sep 7 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Sep 7 2015, 09:52 PM) *
Surely now't better than t' 'oming pigeon lad? laugh.gif

At least when the pigeon stops working you can eat the **** thing.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Sep 8 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Stop typing in stupid fonts.
It doesn't make you edgy and different, it makes you a joffa.

I don't know what internet we have where I rent but it's plenty quick enough and downloads at about 5-8 meg.

More concerned about the issue with 3g / 4g coverage.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 8 2015, 10:15 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Does BT have a monopoly any more?
The copper network is "unbundled" i.e. it is open to use by other suppliers.
Admittedly the maintenance is mainly provided by Openreach who are a subsidiary of BT.
The Virgin fibre network was provided and is maintained by a another concern.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 8 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 8 2015, 11:15 AM) *
Admittedly the maintenance is mainly provided by Openreach who are a subsidiary of BT.

Openreach is a subsidiary of BT. Sure, other suppliers are able to use the network, but Openreach set the rules and fix the tariff. All properly 'regulated' of course and Openreach is totally arms length. Yeah, it isn't a monopoly....and the Emperor is fully clothed!

Yes, there are other private networks like Virgin, but development stalled because BT was made to open the public network. Reason? Because it wasn't sensible or economic to keep digging up roads to lay more and more private nets.

I'm a great believer in free market forces....provided there is a real free market.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 8 2015, 03:00 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Sep 8 2015, 11:05 AM) *
Stop typing in stupid fonts. It doesn't make you edgy and different, it makes you a joffa. I don't know what internet we have where I rent but it's plenty quick enough and downloads at about 5-8 meg. More concerned about the issue with 3g / 4g coverage.

I only write in one font; however, I did notice that when I write on my iphone then that is the way it comes out. So I can't do anything about it. I don't like it as much as you don't (that is the way it comes out).

+Quote Post
Don
post Sep 8 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,556

As far as I know I've got ordinary broadband. My son deals with all that. All I can say is that I am happy with how it works. But then again I am not that computer literature. I just look up facts, my wife does the shopping and I occasionally go on forums such as this.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Sep 9 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

We have fibre from Virgin and get around 100 Mbps.

Could go higher, but it would cost me more...

+Quote Post
Ken
post Sep 11 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,362

I live just outside a rural village and for BT phase of the project, the cabinet that we are connected to which feeds us and other parts of the village was not included. So less than 8 mb down speeds for us.

We have now been told that areas not covered by the BT phase will be covered by the more expensive to the end user Gigaclear solution.

So I am rather disappointed by the Superfast Berskhire project. They claim BT did not bid on phase 2 at all but this article paints a slightly different picture.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/...act-tender.html

I do find it very odd that for phase 2, they have gone with Gigaclear which is a more expensive fibre to the premise solution which one rural village reject.

http://www.inkpen-village.co.uk/Inkpen%20SFB%2025-2-14.pdf

The rural village that I live in are just taking whatever the overall project decides is best.

+Quote Post
gel
post Sep 11 2015, 07:11 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 8 2015, 11:15 AM) *

Yes it still has no competition in many exchanges, classed as Market 1.
Where there are competitors, exchanges are referred to as LLU, and surprise, surprise charges come down.

So for many in rural areas around Newbury, at least currently you have no competitor offer, high(er) prices and poor speeds;
I get just over 3 megs down 448up.

See your exchange's classification here:
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
blink.gif

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Sep 12 2015, 09:25 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (gel @ Sep 11 2015, 08:11 PM) *
448up.

Are you missing a decimal point there....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:51 PM