IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A339 through Newbury, Has the council lost the plot??
desres123
post May 24 2012, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,528

Just read an article on Newbury today and the council are considering reducing the A339 through Newbury to a single lane to try and make drivers use the bypass if the Sandleford housing project goes ahead

Are the council trying to kill the town completely and make Newbury come to a grinding halt 24/7??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 24 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

I imagine this would cause significant disruptions. I guess, like with sheds, that traffic flow and management is not the best strength of our council. What if, for example, you want to go into Newbury.
I suppose, using the bypass will be the only option.

+Quote Post
desres123
post May 24 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roger T @ May 24 2012, 11:42 AM) *
I imagine this would cause significant disruptions. I guess, like with sheds, that traffic flow and management is not the best strength of our council. What if, for example, you want to go into Newbury.
I suppose, using the bypass will be the only option.

Then they will end at festival place in Basingstoke so lets just go into partnership with Basingstoke as thats where all the money will go

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 24 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Honestly, you couldn't make this up. Let's make the residents' life a misery in order to persuade a few "foreigners" to use the bypass.

Actually, it doesn't make any sense for north-south traffic not to use the bypass. The article is a bit light on facts, though (probably not the NWN's fault!) - which section(s) are they considering?

+Quote Post
desres123
post May 24 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 24 2012, 12:11 PM) *
Honestly, you couldn't make this up. Let's make the residents' life a misery in order to persuade a few "foreigners" to use the bypass.

Actually, it doesn't make any sense for north-south traffic not to use the bypass. The article is a bit light on facts, though (probably not the NWN's fault!) - which section(s) are they considering?

How I read the article I think they would reduce the entire section from the Robin hood to Pinchington lane roundabout to a single lane carriageway

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 24 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Daftest idea I have heard for a long while, but not even mildy surprised as only expect daft ideas from our no mark council now.

+Quote Post
Peperium
post May 24 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,701

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 24 2012, 12:11 PM) *

It makes eminent sense to turn the traffic that wants to go North/East/West coming from Hampshire along the A339 from Basingstoke back into Hampshire to join the A34 at Tothill. This leaves the A339 from the Swan Roundabout into town (the part under consideration) just for those wanting to go into town. At present it is a gamble - go through town or go on the bypass, which will be quicker today? The difficulty as I see it is that making through traffic believe it will be quicker going on the bypass without making it more difficult for people who genuinely want to get into town. Perhaps we just need a roadblock so you have to come out the way you went in!

+Quote Post
Penelope
post May 24 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Let's just close all the roads and have a man with a red flag in front of the traffic, that will sort the traffic problems out. No, wait, that's no3 on their list of 'improvements'.

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 24 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

If they want to reduce traffic on the A339, put a weight limit on the road from the A34 junction to the Hampshire border at Headley. The diversion would be A34/A303/M3.

I did say if...

As the plan sounds, I want some of what they drink/smoke in meetings. Clearly lost touch with reality.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 24 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Haven't bought the local paper but has anyone from the Council commented on this? Or has some junior reporter perhaps been embellishing his copy to make a better read? Or maybe it's been a suggestion that's been raised at a meeting of councillors over a pint (they're not exactly 'experts in their field')

It sounds an unlikely proposal....

EDIT: Just read the online version.... Strange logic being applied...

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 24 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It is simply a measure that the council are said to want to explore. They need to look as if they are trying to do something about it.

+Quote Post
Rowley Birkin
post May 24 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,717

just read the article myself, it says it was discussed. shouldn't the council discuss different solutions to stuff?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post May 24 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

...and on Race Days???

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 24 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ May 24 2012, 08:16 PM) *
...and on Race Days???

..... or days when the A34 is closed.........

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 24 2012, 07:34 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Anyone think the idea was just a bit of padding to demonstrate to auditors they were fulfilling certain criteria?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 24 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Peperium @ May 24 2012, 03:07 PM) *
It makes eminent sense to turn the traffic that wants to go North/East/West coming from Hampshire along the A339 from Basingstoke back into Hampshire to join the A34 at Tothill. This leaves the A339 from the Swan Roundabout into town (the part under consideration) just for those wanting to go into town. At present it is a gamble - go through town or go on the bypass, which will be quicker today? The difficulty as I see it is that making through traffic believe it will be quicker going on the bypass without making it more difficult for people who genuinely want to get into town. Perhaps we just need a roadblock so you have to come out the way you went in!

Well, I suppose they could put a dual carriageway link through Sandleford to join the bypass at a new junction to cut down distance. laugh.gif

But I wonder what effect large signs at the bottom of the hill by the Swan roundabout saying "Local Traffic Only" would have. It might deter a few.

Just looking at the map, there is room to cut a new road through from the Swan roundabout to the Andover Road/Bypass junction which would be a more direct route, overcoming the natural resistance to backtrack south west all the way to the Tot Hill junction.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 24 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 24 2012, 08:41 PM) *
Well, I suppose they could put a dual carriageway link through Sandleford to join the bypass at a new junction to cut down distance. laugh.gif

But I wonder what effect large signs at the bottom of the hill by the Swan roundabout saying "Local Traffic Only" would have. It might deter a few.

Just looking at the map, there is room to cut a new road through from the Swan roundabout to the Andover Road/Bypass junction which would be a more direct route, overcoming the natural resistance to backtrack south west all the way to the Tot Hill junction.

Remember the regular carnage on the 'Burghclere Straight' when it was heavily used? When drivers are sent a longer route they often rush in order to save the time lost.......
As for a new road alongside the Enborne.... I can imagine the responses to that!!!!! How would the rabbits from the Sandleford Warren get to Watership Down?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 24 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 24 2012, 08:41 PM) *
But I wonder what effect large signs at the bottom of the hill by the Swan roundabout saying "Local Traffic Only" would have. It might deter a few,

Can we have a different sign instead to frighten off a few.....
"Local roads for local people.....Are you local?"

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 24 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

What about 'Here be Dragons'?

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 25 2012, 05:00 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:13 AM