IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jeremy Clarkson suspended by the BBC, JC suspended following a fracas with a producer
Biker1
post Mar 16 2015, 08:49 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 16 2015, 01:08 AM) *
I still don't get what envelope it is he's supposed to be pushing. Being offensive is hardly innovative, and it's been done much better (One of my favourites). As humour goes I'd say that Clarkson was really rather 70's establishment middle-of-the-road pedestrian (ironic, no?), a humour predicated on middle-aged middle-class bigotry and very much the tired old schtick that satirists on the edge have mocked since ancient Greece.

He don't like trains or motorbikes either!! cool.gif tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 16 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 15 2015, 11:08 PM) *
I still don't get what envelope it is he's supposed to be pushing. Being offensive is hardly innovative, and it's been done much better (One of my favourites). As humour goes I'd say that Clarkson was really rather 70's establishment middle-of-the-road pedestrian (ironic, no?), a humour predicated on middle-aged middle-class bigotry and very much the tired old schtick that satirists on the edge have mocked since ancient Greece.

That might be the case in the land of Kirby, but that doesn't stop it from being envelope pushing, but to say it is 'middle age/class bigotry' is suggesting bigotry even exists in people like yourself?

But like I said earlier, all this is to assume all the bad stuff is all his own work. Clarkson seems to be not half as funny when he is not reading from a script.

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Mar 16 2015, 11:46 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

I think Simon Kirby is quite right. His friend A A Gill in the Sunday Times said Clarkson writes his own scrips; thats why he's so busy and stressed at work, hence the punch up at the end of the hard working day. I must try it some day myself. He's just an ageing comedian who is simply going the way of such people - Russell Brand is another. So, I'd agree his 'act' isn't pushing any envelopes, it's simply boorish; just playing the naughty boy in class. Funny for a while, but not innovative, edgy or even different.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 16 2015, 12:37 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Mar 16 2015, 11:46 AM) *
I think Simon Kirby is quite right. His friend A A Gill in the Sunday Times said Clarkson writes his own scrips; thats why he's so busy and stressed at work, hence the punch up at the end of the hard working day. I must try it some day myself. He's just an ageing comedian who is simply going the way of such people - Russell Brand is another. So, I'd agree his 'act' isn't pushing any envelopes, it's simply boorish; just playing the naughty boy in class. Funny for a while, but not innovative, edgy or even different.

There's more than one way to 'push an envelope'. 'Pushing the envelope' is a broad and rather meaningless statement as it means different things to different people; I'd have used irreverent.

As for innovative and edgy: there's nothing new under the sun and most if not all humour has it's time.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 16 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Mar 16 2015, 11:46 AM) *

I've never been bored watching Clarkson.
I am bored reading your post.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Jokes.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 16 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 15 2015, 08:37 PM) *
The only envelopes he pushed with the Argentinian stunt were those of stupidity and cowardice.

He taunted a country the UK defeated in a war and when things turned nasty
, from what was shown on television he ran away and left his production crew to deal with the very unruly mobs that attacked them. Seems he's fine to allegedly punch one of the same production crew in the face over a steak dinner though. I bet they're glad to see the back of him.

oh, just as an FYI regarding the numberplate, it was a genuine number plate for the car, had been on it since 1994.
Long before the BBC had even planned a trip.

No fakery there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 16 2015, 02:27 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Do you have a factual source to back that up MM? Only Clarkson lies, a lot, and he had that second set of plates...

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 16 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 16 2015, 01:15 PM) *
oh, just as an FYI regarding the numberplate, it was a genuine number plate for the car, had been on it since 1994.
Long before the BBC had even planned a trip.

No fakery there.
This seems to say that the BBC bought the car and plates.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 16 2015, 06:49 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 16 2015, 05:43 PM) *

That seems to support MM's point.

"And yesterday the dealer who sold the Porsche to the BBC complete with its original H982 FKL plates admitted the show’s staff knew the car’s registration number before they completed its purchase."

Whether it is a coincidence and all JC's own work or idea is another matter of course! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 16 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Here we are a few weeks from a general election and a minor TV personality clashes with the BBCs HR policy is the major topic for discussion round here. Willy Whitelaw was right about stirring up apathy!!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 16 2015, 09:26 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 16 2015, 08:49 PM) *
Here we are a few weeks from a general election and a minor TV personality clashes with the BBCs HR policy is the major topic for discussion round here. Willy Whitelaw was right about stirring up apathy!!
You could always start your own thread.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 17 2015, 06:50 AM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 16 2015, 09:26 PM) *
You could always start your own thread.

Quite true; but its not a complaint. In fact, I'm quite pleased because demonstrates there is not too much wrong with things right now...

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 17 2015, 08:13 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 17 2015, 06:50 AM) *
Quite true; but its not a complaint. In fact, I'm quite pleased because demonstrates there is not too much wrong with things right now...

Don't worry, it will turn out to be the councils fault soon. Either that or Clarkson will be revealed as a secret allotment hater. That'll provoke more interest here.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 17 2015, 11:26 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 16 2015, 05:43 PM) *

You are a typical council luddite aren't you
Reading into what you want.
The CAR ORIGINALLY had the H982 FKL.
You can look for offence in anything you want. One completely moronic person said "OH LOOK 1982 FALKLANDS WAR THEY'RE MOCKING IT" and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

I've seen cars that have (L=Random letter) L#### GAY on the number plate but does that mean it's taking the mick out of homosexuals?
No.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 17 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 17 2015, 08:13 AM) *
Don't worry, it will turn out to be the councils fault soon. Either that or Clarkson will be revealed as a secret allotment hater. That'll provoke more interest here.

I don't see why you have to be snide about it. I have a legitimate complaint, it is enormously important to me personally, and I have no other recourse to justice. I would sooner not be airing my grievance here - I find it quite as humiliating as you find me tiresome.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 17 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 17 2015, 11:26 AM) *
The CAR ORIGINALLY had the H982 FKL.
Are you saying they accidentally bought a car with a registration plate that not only matched the country code of the Falklands, but also the year we went to war with Argentina? I wonder what the odds of that are?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 17 2015, 08:31 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 17 2015, 07:49 PM) *
Are you saying they accidentally bought a car with a registration plate that not only matched the country code of the Falklands, but also the year we went to war with Argentina? I wonder what the odds of that are?

If I recall correctly, THEY waged war on US!!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 18 2015, 07:53 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 17 2015, 06:21 PM) *
I don't see why you have to be snide about it. I have a legitimate complaint, it is enormously important to me personally, and I have no other recourse to justice. I would sooner not be airing my grievance here - I find it quite as humiliating as you find me tiresome.
Cheer up. You'll get a reputation if you dish out criticism, but can't take a bit of light hearted banter back.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 18 2015, 09:21 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Mar 18 2015, 07:53 AM) *
Cheer up. You'll get a reputation if you dish out criticism, but can't take a bit of light hearted banter back.

Sadly I think user's right, but I'm the world's worst at taking criticism! Well, one of them! About joint twelfth judging by the other posters here anyway! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 18 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 17 2015, 08:13 AM) *

You won't have long to wait for another Council criticism if they keep to their usual standard! rolleyes.gif

Must admit they must have been keeping a strict eye on Councillors, there must be a gagging order in place or something.........is there an election looming? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:21 AM