Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Allotment Self-Management, and all that
Simon Kirby
post Nov 15 2013, 04:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

I'm now talking seriously to Deputy Leader of the Town Council, Cllr Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera about allotment self-management for Newbury and I'm also hopeful that when I apply shortly for an allotment myself that my application will be accepted. Although I seem to have lost rather a lot along the way, it does now appear that I will be able to get back to my allotmenteering in peace with a reasonably prospect of seeing self-management.

I mention it because, but for this forum, I would not have found a voice and I'm grateful for it. It's also given me some perspective, and I appreciate that, thank you. I've engaged on a wide range of topics here, and I feel that I've made some valid criticisms of the Town Council which, understandably, has been the focus of my posting.

But I'm feeling now that it's time to move on, to enjoy my allotment again, and to work constructively with Ruwan and the Town Council to improve the service and introduce self-management. There are challenges of course, but it doesn't help anyone to exercise them here while I have the engagement of the Council.

So I'm going to try and take a break for a while. I'll be around for the Newts of course, but if I can manage to stay away I'll be contributing much less.

See you around.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 15 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

'They' qagged you in the end then! laugh.gif

In seriousness, I find there is no point in being right if you cannot take most of not everyone with you. To do that, one will always need to make compromises to some degree. Even the most stubborn knuckle dragging councillor will have to concede to consensus. It is just about getting the result, but you don't always have to draw blood to prove that.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 15 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 15 2013, 05:26 PM) *
'They' qagged you in the end then! laugh.gif

In seriousness, I find there is no point in being right if you cannot take most of not everyone with you. To do that, one will always need to make compromises to some degree. Even the most stubborn knuckle dragging councillor will have to concede to consensus. It is just about getting the result, you don't always have to draw blood to prove that.

Very pleased to hear your good news Simon. Surely you don't have to stop posting though even if you don't mention allotments?
Just really disgusted that you have had to suffer what you have gone through because of a bunch of small minded self important Captain Mainwaring type councillors. Please let us know if you have any further problems though? angry.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 15 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Nov 15 2013, 07:07 PM) *
Very pleased to hear your good news Simon. Surely you don't have to stop posting though even if you don't mention allotments?
Just really disgusted that you have had to suffer what you have gone through because of a bunch of small minded self important Captain Mainwaring type councillors. Please let us know if you have any further problems though? angry.gif

Thanks Cognosco.

Just to be clear though, there's been no gagging or anything, it's simply as I said - now that I have some engagement on self-management there's less need for public protest and it's just time for me to move on. I'm interested in very many of the issues we discuss, local and otherwise, but allotmenteering is my passion and it's that I want to spend time on now.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Nov 15 2013, 09:10 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 15 2013, 07:59 PM) *
Just to be clear though, there's been no gagging or anything, it's simply as I said - now that I have some engagement on self-management there's less need for public protest and it's just time for me to move on. I'm interested in very many of the issues we discuss, local and otherwise, but allotmenteering is my passion and it's that I want to spend time on now.

OK Simon, but I rather like your style of posting and debate. I understand the NTC content has probably been your main Forte but personally, I hope you will still engage even if you avoid the allotment theme.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 15 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Glad your boat floats and can cast off so farewell and a flowing tide. Always right to use the change to make the break. The Forum will necessarily be different so that might herald similar thoughts in others.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 15 2013, 10:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Perhaps Simon and others might wait to see the quality of the chickens the eggs yield?

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 16 2013, 12:34 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

You can still enjoy your allotment and post on the forum you know..
Organise a Newt!!!

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 16 2013, 11:40 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 15 2013, 10:32 PM) *
Perhaps Simon and others might wait to see the quality of the chickens the eggs yield?

Spot on Andy. I fear because Simon has been posting costings etc and revealing what others fail to spot regarding the NTC he may be silenced in the hope of obtaining another allotment. If discussions drag on for more than a few weeks before results are produced then watch out it does not turn in to another Victoria Park / Parkway delay that the council seems so adept at? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 16 2013, 12:18 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I fear Simon's apparent lack of emotional intelligence, or simple lack of sufficient deference, might get the better of him in all this.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 16 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 16 2013, 12:18 PM) *
I fear Simon's apparent lack of emotional intelligence, or simple lack of sufficient deference, might get the better of him in all this.

Still with this Winter sowing of NTC forgiveness and reconciliation will it be a bountiful Spring harvest for allotmenteering self management and ratepayer precept reduction? Or will it be just another failed NTC blighted crop? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:30 AM