IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Proposals for smoking ban, Pub beer gardens, other various public gaterhing locations
Strafin
post Feb 27 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

I don't really see the correlation?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Feb 28 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 27 2012, 09:02 PM) *
I don't really see the correlation?

They object to the neighbours smoking outside in their own garden for health reasons but 56% are happy to legalise drugs and live next door to somebody who takes drugs. Also California has the worst air pollution in the US.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Feb 28 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Feb 28 2012, 09:09 AM) *
Also California has the worst air pollution in the US.

I have sat on a hotel balcony in California and noticed the thick, yellow smog that sits over the LA Basin in the late afternoon. I took some photos but they don't show it too clearly.

And they are worried about smelling their neighbour's cigarette smoke?

In the same hotel, the inside bar was pretty empty in the evenings, the adjacent open air "atrium" was packed with smokers and non-smokers drinking together.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 28 2012, 09:56 AM
Post #44

Guests

A stranger smokes while drinking near you = OH MY GOD NO STOP IT YOU BUMDER
A friend that smokes while drinking near you = AH NO PROBLEM BUDDY PUFF YOUR CHUFF AWAY.

???

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 28 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Feb 28 2012, 09:42 AM) *
I have sat on a hotel balcony in California and noticed the thick, yellow smog that sits over the LA Basin in the late afternoon.

I remember years ago driving the length of the Pomona Freeway towards LA. Blue sky all around except for a dense black cloud on the horizon directly ahead. Probably all those smokers. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 28 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It used to look like that going to London.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Feb 28 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

"Aw Gwon", Mr Capp.

Are we talking "Passport to Pimlico" or the "ladykillers"?
But,it must have been rough in those days.
These days it is the iconic "Black Cab" diesel that will be the next to go.

The line outside St Pancras stretches for 2 miles. In the winter engines run
to keep warm.
ce

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Feb 28 2012, 05:46 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 28 2012, 10:56 AM) *
I remember years ago driving the length of the Pomona Freeway towards LA. Blue sky all around except for a dense black cloud on the horizon directly ahead. Probably all those smokers. smile.gif

Or the smoke from all those gun barrels. rolleyes.gif

You make me nostalgic. A sight to behold is Vegas appearing on the horizon as your Greyhound bus thunders across the desert in the early evening (driven by a guy who reckons his name is Elvis). Awesome.

Rgds

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 28 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

I love Vegas. Amazing place.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 28 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Feb 27 2012, 05:19 PM) *
So California wants to ban smoking outdoors. The same American state that, when it went to the polls, 56% of citizens voted for legalising drugs. You couldn't make it up.

I still don't see the correlation between people polluting the air, and inflicting their smoke onto other people, and someone ingesting substances in their own home. Also when did 56% of them, vote to legalise drugs?

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Feb 28 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 28 2012, 08:17 PM) *
I still don't see the correlation between people polluting the air, and inflicting their smoke onto other people, and someone ingesting substances in their own home. Also when did 56% of them, vote to legalise drugs?

Er, people smoking in their own back yard are "ingesting substances in their own home".

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 28 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

But the smoke doesn't stay where it is does it? That's the point, smoking in your house is fine, nobody else is affected, but when you are outside doing it, it affects everyone around you as well.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Feb 28 2012, 10:22 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 28 2012, 09:56 PM) *
But the smoke doesn't stay where it is does it? That's the point, smoking in your house is fine, nobody else is affected, but when you are outside doing it, it affects everyone around you as well.

I see. So you are now saying smoking in a confined environment is ok, but smoking in the open air is bad?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 28 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

I am saying that if you want to smoke, do it in your own home, that way nobody can claim that you are affecting them. If you smoke outside, you will annoy other people.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 28 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

And also that I support a ban on smoking in all public places, but I do think restaurants and clubs etc, should be able to define their own smoking policies, so long as they are kept inside. That way it is up to the consumer whether they go in then or not.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Feb 28 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 28 2012, 10:33 PM) *
And also that I support a ban on smoking in all public places, but I do think restaurants and clubs etc, should be able to define their own smoking policies, so long as they are kept inside. That way it is up to the consumer whether they go in then or not.

You seem to be a little confused on this issue. You now support an outright ban but with certain exceptions?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Feb 28 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 28 2012, 10:33 PM) *

Are you assuming that air doesn't pass 'through' a dwelling? Where does it go? wink.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 28 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

I'll try and make it simple, smoking in public places affects everyone in those places right? Smoking in a private dwelling, or place of business only affects those people in that building at that time. still with me? So I support banning smoking in places where people are not protected, ie open spaces, parks etc. But in order to maintain some balance and some sense of individual liberty, smoking away from the public, in confined areas, will not affect people unless they choose to go into those places, therefore I think that if people in this day and age really are stupid enough to carry on smoking, then they should have some provision to do so. If a pub for example allows indoor smoking, then I wouldn't go in, but I am sure there are people who would.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 29 2012, 01:46 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 28 2012, 11:34 PM) *
If a pub for example allows indoor smoking, then I wouldn't go in, but I am sure there are people who would.

I'm sure you're right - the trouble is that some who go in will be non-smokers who reluctantly take the risk because they want to be with their mates. Or employees who would rather work in a smoke filled room than not work at all. This is why smoking is banned in public indoor spaces like pubs. As far as I'm concerned that is as far as they need to go - banning smoking outdoors seems OTT to me.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 29 2012, 01:46 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 28 2012, 11:34 PM) *
If a pub for example allows indoor smoking, then I wouldn't go in, but I am sure there are people who would.

I'm sure you're right - the trouble is that some who go in will be non-smokers who reluctantly take the risk because they want to be with their mates. Or employees who would rather work in a smoke filled room than not work at all. This is why smoking is banned in public indoor spaces like pubs. As far as I'm concerned that is as far as they need to go - banning smoking outdoors seems OTT to me.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:37 AM