Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rubbish at Victoria Park
Rosewinelover
post Jul 6 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 966

Last weekend I went to Victoria Park for a picnic. We were sat between the skateboard ramp and the park itself. Before we got there we noticed ALOT of rubbish lying around the place. Empty drink bottles, crisps packets, biscuit boxes, carrier bags with rubbish in etc which we had avoided before we found the spot we sat in. A short time passed and I saw different groups leaving the park field leaving all there rubbish behind. It was really bad.I was trying to play footie with my son but the rubbish was just to nasty to continue playing.

The worst thing about it was people were walking past the bins when they left their spot, so could of easily put their rubbish in the bin. What is wrong with people. It really winds me up.

Before anyone asks, no i will not confront anyone about it as who knows how they will respond to me, and no I will not pick rubbish off the floor as i'm teaching my son not to touch rubbish as it's dirty, so I think he would be baffled at me! I DID clear away the rubbish that had flown towards us in the wind with my rubbish (using my hand in my plastic bag), but I am not about go go clear others people rubbish who have touched it, plus I would of been there all afternoon.

In the end we left as it was just nasty. Alot of people were complaining to each other about it. I saw no Comm Officers to complain to which is surprising as they are nomarlly there when the park is so packed.

Anyway, going there again this Sunday with my family and hope it's not as bad.

Anyone else see the rubbish? Is so, do you complain, and who to?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 6 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

You can contact "Street care" at the Council. They generally respond quite quickly to this.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 6 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 6 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Before anyone asks, no i will not confront anyone about it as who knows how they will respond to me, and no I will not pick rubbish off the floor as i'm teaching my son not to touch rubbish as it's dirty, so I think he would be baffled at me!

I'm not baffled, but I find it very difficult to walk past litter. Maybe not paper, but anything that could be dangerous (like empty bottles and cans), I tend to pick up. If everyone who cared, did this, perhaps, we would have a nicer environment - as well as a residual saving in council tax.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 6 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 6 2010, 02:18 PM) *
I'm not baffled, but I find it very difficult to walk past litter. Maybe not paper, but anything that could be dangerous (like empty bottles and cans), I tend to pick up. If everyone who cared, did this, perhaps, we would have a nicer environment - as well as a residual saving in council tax.

It's good that you are public spirited enough to do this however unless the cause is addressed then you will be clearing up the mess forever. You should not have to clean up behind those that have no respect.
It's another example of the low standards held by some people who have trouble keeping themselves smart and tidy let alone the environment around them.
Some people just don't care and there is precious little that can be done about it.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 6 2010, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 6 2010, 02:18 PM) *

Fair play to you. I won't do it because I don't want to. I don't know who/what has touched the rubbish (grubby people, dog/cat wee, a drug user) and I don't want to catch anything. As Bloggo said, the problem won't change by picking other peoples litter up. People do not care enough for the park to WANT to keep it clean and tidy, but they are happy enough to use it. That annoys me.

I will contact Street Care and see what they say.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 6 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I can understand why people wouldn't want to, for hygiene reasons, but we are all in this together and I can't help feel that we have turned into a 'it's someone else's responsibility society'. I'm no Womble, but I just find it hard to walk past a glass bottle, for instance, that I know could be at anytime, smashed - for the sake of me losing a few minutes walk and disposed of in a bin.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 6 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 6 2010, 03:50 PM) *
I can understand why people wouldn't want to, for hygiene reasons, but we are all in this together

Actually we are not. Some people don't give a toss.
and I can't help feel that we have turned into a 'it's someone else's responsibility society'.

You're right, everyone should take responsibility but sadly some don't

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 6 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 6 2010, 03:57 PM) *
Actually we are not. Some people don't give a toss. You're right, everyone should take responsibility but sadly some don't

The point I make is just because some don't doesn't mean everyone shouldn't. I think it is up to people who care to show that they do.

If someone drops some litter, they are guilty of littering. If you walk past and do nothing, then you both live in a place with litter. I'm not saying you should spend all day picking up other people's litter, but responsibility of the streets of Newbury are everyone's, good and bad.

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Jul 7 2010, 05:11 AM
Post #9

Guests

When I saw the thread title I thought the England team had turned up for an imporomptu training session laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 7 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 6 2010, 05:37 PM) *
The point I make is just because some don't doesn't mean everyone shouldn't. I think it is up to people who care to show that they do.

If someone drops some litter, they are guilty of littering. If you walk past and do nothing, then you both live in a place with litter. I'm not saying you should spend all day picking up other people's litter, but responsibility of the streets of Newbury are everyone's, good and bad.

I'd rather the people who drop the litter are made to pick it up. Why should this social abuse be ignored.
Why not extend the responsibility of the traffic wardens to be on the look out for people who litter so that they can be brought to book and as part of their punishment they are made to clean up a few streets, parks, puplic places for a few days.
I think this would have the desired effect not only getting the job done but also a little humiliation.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 7 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I'd rather live in a place where people can be encouraged to do the right thing rather than have a bloke in a peaked cap on every street corner. Careful for what you ask for.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 7 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 7 2010, 11:06 AM) *
I'd rather live in a place where people can be encouraged to do the right thing rather than have a bloke in a peaked cap on every street corner. Careful for what you ask for.

Yes, so would I but the reality is that it won't happen because there are so many people who just don't care and need an incentive to cooperate.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 7 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2010, 08:39 AM) *
I'd rather the people who drop the litter are made to pick it up. Why should this social abuse be ignored.
Why not extend the responsibility of the traffic wardens to be on the look out for people who litter so that they can be brought to book and as part of their punishment they are made to clean up a few streets, parks, puplic places for a few days.
I think this would have the desired effect not only getting the job done but also a little humiliation.

Who by Bloggo - Thats the point? ScumChav with his PitBull takes his dog for a walk in Victoria Park and chucks his can of Special Brew on the floor after drinking it. Are you going to tackle him and 'make him' pick the litter up? Let me know when you do. I'll send some flowers and take you some grapes after the dog has chewed on you for a bit. Thats why people won't tackle these people. The thug knows he is going to get away with it and you will suffer the consequences.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 7 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 7 2010, 11:41 AM) *
Who by Bloggo - Thats the point? ScumChav with his PitBull takes his dog for a walk in Victoria Park and chucks his can of Special Brew on the floor after drinking it. Are you going to tackle him and 'make him' pick the litter up? Let me know when you do. I'll send some flowers and take you some grapes after the dog has chewed on you for a bit. Thats why people won't tackle these people. The thug knows he is going to get away with it and you will suffer the consequences.

Yes, and I am ashamed to say you are right. Because of a lack of discipline being demonstrated by these people's parents, schools and authorities in the past and a continued blind eye being turned by the authorities now, we are subject to abuse by anyone who does not give a toss about the normal pleasentries of reasonable people.
We live under threat of assault should we remonstrate with them and there seems to be precious little to stop them.
Lets hope the new government is prepared to deal with these morons.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 7 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2010, 11:58 AM) *
Lets hope the new government is prepared to deal with these morons.

laugh.gif

Sorry to lol Bloggo but - Some hopes! (Probably will infringe their Uman Rites!)

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 7 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 7 2010, 08:39 AM) *

Problem is these things tend to go to far. Recall a mother being heavily fined for her child dropping a small bit of sausage roll that the birds would have gobbled up in seconds. Bottles, paper and cans are different, but people in peaked caps tend to be jobs worths and don't use common sense.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jul 7 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

Victoria Park is not the only place with a serious litter problem. You should see my son's bedroom! laugh.gif I have to remind him constantly what his bin is for! Also, I'm sure he thinks pockets are litter bins! His are jam packed with rubbish but hey, I suppose that means he is not dropping it! rolleyes.gif

I once followed a chavmobile down the road and saw a whole McDonalds bag get jettisoned! I'm assuming they at least consumed the rubbish it contained first!

sad.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 7 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #18

Guests

I agree it is the deliberately lazy and disruptive elements of society that cause unpleasantness for everyone else.

You see the same outside fast food outlets, in some instances the bag of food packaging is blatantly dropped out of car windows parked right next to a bin, whilst the perpetrator looks at you in a "yeah and what are you going to do about it" way, this is dispicable behaviour for which there is no excuse.

RETARDS!

+Quote Post
Ron
post Jul 7 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

And what do you expect when teachers etc. are threatened with charges of assault when any pretext of discipline is applied!

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 8 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ron @ Jul 7 2010, 09:23 PM) *
And what do you expect when teachers etc. are threatened with charges of assault when any pretext of discipline is applied!

Exactly. The time has come to change the law in order to bring back some discipline to the unruly elements of our society.
I hope this new government has the guts to do it.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:52 AM