blackdog
post May 13 2012, 08:58 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

I see that the YMCA is considering a new youth facility:
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/new-ymc...s-have-your-say

It seems to me to be pretty much what the Waterside once was and the Pavilion in the Park was going to provide.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post May 13 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 13 2012, 09:58 AM) *
I see that the YMCA is considering a new youth facility:
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/new-ymc...s-have-your-say

It seems to me to be pretty much what the Waterside once was and the Pavilion in the Park was going to provide.
Sounds likes a place they could go when they're short on their dough.

They could stay there and I'm sure they would find many ways to have a good time.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post May 13 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (user23 @ May 13 2012, 10:12 AM) *
Sounds likes a place they could go when they're short on their dough.
They could stay there and I'm sure they would find many ways to have a good time.

They can get themselves cleaned, they can have a good meal,
They can do whatever they feel... .

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 13 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ May 13 2012, 04:42 PM) *
They can get themselves cleaned, they can have a good meal,
They can do whatever they feel... .

Bet you can do the dance too! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 13 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

I think anything that gives young people something to do would be a good idea. Too many people have given up on young people, all writing them off as stupid, dumb, drug using failures when many are much more than that. If you actually spend time with them on an equal level, rather than looking down at them as lesser beings, so many people's eyes would be opened.

I would love to go back to youth work but just not enough free time as it is, might return to teaching but it's finding the right school...
believe me it's not all about the results, and I know full well how twisted and inaccurate the Ofsted reports are.. nearly every school preps religiously, pruning all the "bad" children (some genuinely are little s**ts but some are just misunderstood) and putting them either on internal suspension or allowing them to "work from home".. if you step out of line during Ofsted reports as a pupil you are punished much more harshly and teachers are briefed to try to be more friendly and interactive than they would normally be.

I suppose like any time, when you are being watched and marked/judged you would never behave naturally.

I used to work with a teacher who would constantly complain about the children in her class, I went in on a joint-teaching session (as we had both of our classes in one large group for an afternoon) and her way of dealing with the children was completely out of line.. she would get frustrated and angry over the smallest of thing, and it was her general demeanour that was the problem. Children are amazing at working out the "atmosphere", generally if you want them to be happy all you need to do is be happy yourself.

I think here a Youth Cafe, and a sports facility of some kind would be great. Kids who are 13-16 don't want to be patronised with a hall, indoor hockey and a "tuck" shop. Give them some real things to do.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 14 2012, 08:46 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 13 2012, 10:09 PM) *
I think anything that gives young people something to do would be a good idea. Too many people have given up on young people, all writing them off as stupid, dumb, drug using failures when many are much more than that. If you actually spend time with them on an equal level, rather than looking down at them as lesser beings, so many people's eyes would be opened.

I would love to go back to youth work but just not enough free time as it is, might return to teaching but it's finding the right school...
believe me it's not all about the results, and I know full well how twisted and inaccurate the Ofsted reports are.. nearly every school preps religiously, pruning all the "bad" children (some genuinely are little s**ts but some are just misunderstood) and putting them either on internal suspension or allowing them to "work from home".. if you step out of line during Ofsted reports as a pupil you are punished much more harshly and teachers are briefed to try to be more friendly and interactive than they would normally be.

I suppose like any time, when you are being watched and marked/judged you would never behave naturally.

I used to work with a teacher who would constantly complain about the children in her class, I went in on a joint-teaching session (as we had both of our classes in one large group for an afternoon) and her way of dealing with the children was completely out of line.. she would get frustrated and angry over the smallest of thing, and it was her general demeanour that was the problem. Children are amazing at working out the "atmosphere", generally if you want them to be happy all you need to do is be happy yourself.

I think here a Youth Cafe, and a sports facility of some kind would be great. Kids who are 13-16 don't want to be patronised with a hall, indoor hockey and a "tuck" shop. Give them some real things to do.

What an role model you must have been in the classroom and isn't it a pity that you have given it up and are unable to spend more time guiding our young people through such a difficult time.
Perhaps you should reconsider and get back in there as we clearly need more inspirational teachers such as you seem to be.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
badmummajamma
post May 14 2012, 08:49 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

When I was a yoof, (and this was only about 10/12 years ago) the Newbury Waterside was thriving, thanks almost entirely to a healthy live music scene.

On a Saturday night, there used to be a queue out the door, and sometimes, it would be over-subscribed by about 100 people or so. For a young local band, playing at the Waterside was something to aspire to as it guaranteed you a large audience in front of people of a similar age - who could all actually afford to come in.

Then, if you got really good, you might be rewarded with a support slot at a Salvage live music night at the Corn Exchange, or win the Battle of the Bands - which could be a stepping stone to bigger things. For example, the singer in a band I was in at the Waterside is now the singer in Dry The River, who's album charted a few weeks ago, and I did a few years of semi-pro gigging - having played festivals like Glasto and Reading. None of which is likely to have happened had it not been for the Waterside.

I remember that you used to be able to buy beer there if you were over 18 (or looked over 18), but there was never any real trouble (I don't recall a police presence ever really being required)

But, I think the reason kids liked the Waterside so much back then was because they were given a degree of ownership over it and it was genuinely a fun place to be - rather than having regimented activities or trying to appeal to too many different user groups (or just the troublesome kids). It was a bit grotty and grubby, but because it was, it was never over-protected by WBC and kids were more or left up to their own devices.

Unfortunately, (her name escapes me now - I must be getting old) the Waterside used to have a manger who was really into live music and was happy to help organise these events, but after she left, the gig nights fell into decline and, as I understand it, the remaining live music equipment was gradually "liberated" by a series of less scrupulous young promoters and never replaced.

I made this point when they were talking about the poncy "pavilion" replacing the waterside, but I really do believe that the Waterside could be a good facility again with a very small amount of money and a bit of careful nuturing of a new music scene. All it needs is a regular gig-night.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 14 2012, 09:48 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I think Music would be a good way to unite the young, loads of young people enjoy music, all you need is a couple who can play fairly well, others will learn, some will be happy listening and enjoying the vibe.

QUOTE (Bloggo @ May 14 2012, 09:46 AM) *
What an role model you must have been in the classroom and isn't it a pity that you have given it up and are unable to spend more time guiding our young people through such a difficult time.
Perhaps you should reconsider and get back in there as we clearly need more inspirational teachers such as you seem to be.

Is that sarcasm?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 14 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 14 2012, 10:48 AM) *
I think Music would be a good way to unite the young, loads of young people enjoy music, all you need is a couple who can play fairly well, others will learn, some will be happy listening and enjoying the vibe.

Is that sarcasm?

No, young people need to learn by example and any demonstration of how to behave correctly should be encouraged. Not everyone can deal with children in a responsible way and those that can should be applauded.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 14 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ May 14 2012, 11:16 AM) *
No, young people need to learn by example and any demonstration of how to behave correctly should be encouraged. Not everyone can deal with children in a responsible way and those that can should be applauded.

Well in that case, I appreciate the comment. I may go back but unfortunately the bills don't pay themselves; teaching pays them but leaves little money for a life after. We'll see.

How I really feel, too many teachers are teachers for reasons other than wanting to share knowledge and actually be a sort of role model. Most just bang on about the amount of holiday and the 8:30-4:00 work ethic. Sure occasionally you stay late, or do marking at home, but overall it's not bad. I say most, that's probably an exaggeration, maybe 25% are teachers for reasons other than wanting to actually teach.

I think all young children/people need is to not feel patronised, excluded, and to not have assumptions made about them, eg about them hanging around in groups, or wearing hoodies, or baggy jeans.

Unfortunately we are all guilty of it at times (that is making assumptions) so we can all help give the youth a bit more of a chance.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:12 AM