Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bizarre piece in the Daily Telegraph
Sherlock
post Nov 10 2013, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

Apparently we've demolished Camps. Griffins and all our 16th century houses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/imm...immigrants.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 10 2013, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

"If that is the most exciting thing which has happened to Vicki Woods in Newbury all I can say is it must be the most boring place on earth."

I thought when I read the piece that it would be interesting. Not really, and the comments were dull as well.
(See above).
ce

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 10 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Nov 10 2013, 05:29 PM) *
"If that is the most exciting thing which has happened to Vicki Woods in Newbury all I can say is it must be the most boring place on earth."

I thought when I read the piece that it would be interesting. Not really, and the comments were dull as well.
(See above).
ce

I thought it was a blog post, but that piece of vapid middle-class simpering is actually what passes for journalism in the Torygraph.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 10 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

but that piece of vapid middle-class simpering is actually what passes for journalism

Aw shucks... That's another £2.00 wasted.
Why didn't she stick to something halfway decent about Newbury?
Does she not view these august pages?...not in movember obviously.

And she was on a prominent spot under a large space normally filled by Boris J.
Well he is getting a bit lardy.
ce

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Nov 10 2013, 11:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

It reads like an incoherent rant/simper. If I didn't know that journalists these days never drink anything stronger than latte extra shot I'd say that she was three sheets to the wind when she wrote it.

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Nov 11 2013, 12:01 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Nov 10 2013, 05:03 PM) *
Apparently we've demolished Camps. Griffins and all our 16th century houses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/imm...immigrants.html

Where does it say we've demolished Camps and Griffins?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 11 2013, 10:40 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

When we moved, 30 years ago, to the foot of Watership Down, Newbury (four miles away) was a quite handsome and still noticeably historic market town. There were 17th-century merchants’ houses with rosy-red, tile-hung fronts, and across the canal bridge there was a Victorian department store called Camp Hopson (less Camp than Hopson, I remember) and buildings with Tudor dates carved into their lintels that had become wet-fish shops, greengrocers and pork-butchers. It was nice shopping in Newbury.

Now it isn’t. They knocked everything of value down and built car parks where the 17th-century houses used to be. The one new exciting shop is John Lewis at Home. So these days, I shop online for everything except food (which I buy in the village) and Click and Collect the purchases from John Lewis’s back door, which at least has the visual benefit of facing the park and the practical benefit of being next to Camp Hopson’s car park, which I’m fond of because it’s neither buried deep underground nor up on the fifth floor.

She'll be popular on here with claptrap like that!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 11 2013, 11:19 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 11 2013, 10:40 AM) *
When we moved, 30 years ago, to the foot of Watership Down, Newbury (four miles away) was a quite handsome and still noticeably historic market town. There were 17th-century merchants’ houses with rosy-red, tile-hung fronts, and across the canal bridge there was a Victorian department store called Camp Hopson (less Camp than Hopson, I remember) and buildings with Tudor dates carved into their lintels that had become wet-fish shops, greengrocers and pork-butchers. It was nice shopping in Newbury.

Now it isn’t. They knocked everything of value down and built car parks where the 17th-century houses used to be. The one new exciting shop is John Lewis at Home. So these days, I shop online for everything except food (which I buy in the village) and Click and Collect the purchases from John Lewis’s back door, which at least has the visual benefit of facing the park and the practical benefit of being next to Camp Hopson’s car park, which I’m fond of because it’s neither buried deep underground nor up on the fifth floor.

She'll be popular on here with claptrap like that!

She's just trying to hide her age - the Newbury she remembers was from 60 years ago.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Nov 11 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

What amazes me is that someone is actually being paid to write this drivel! Must have been a VERY slow news day!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Nov 11 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Nov 11 2013, 12:41 PM) *
What amazes me is that someone is actually being paid to write this drivel! Must have been a VERY slow news day!

It amazes me why we have any columnists and critics in newspapers. For that reason I don't fund them by purchasing their rags, preferring to get my news from the BBC which whilst not perfect seems to be the most reliable news source.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 11 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Nov 11 2013, 12:46 PM) *
It amazes me why we have any columnists and critics in newspapers. For that reason I don't fund them by purchasing their rags, preferring to get my news from the BBC which whilst not perfect seems to be the most reliable news source.

Umm yes the BBC, straightforward and honest!!!

Good test is to try a backwater - like the World Service...'let us patronise you - where ever you live'

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 11 2013, 10:21 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I also don't see where it says Camps has been knocked down. The article even mentions in the present tense, their car park.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 11 2013, 10:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I agree it's a weird piece though.

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Nov 12 2013, 10:18 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 11 2013, 10:21 PM) *
I also don't see where it says Camps has been knocked down. The article even mentions in the present tense, their car park.

She refers to Camps in the past tense but I suppose as she ventures into Newbury so rarely and doesn't appear to visit the Northbrook St she might be under the impression that the whole building was demolished. This would explain why she apparently refers to the Home of the Newbury Sausage in the past tense (although I suppose she could have been referring to another butchers. Who knows, I just hope they don't pay her for this stuff. It's not even funny.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:44 PM