Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Man in Thai prison
AmieB
post Jun 15 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 44

Whilst I do have some sympathy for the man sent to jail for fighting, i do not feel sorry for him as anyone who goes to Thailand knows the rules. I have been there on holiday and it is amazing. People, food etc. But i knew not to step out of line. I drank sensible (apart from the Koh Samui party laugh.gif ) and watched what we did and said.
I feel for him the way he has been treated in prison (which i know he is not exaggerating) but surely if you go to a foreign country (esp Thailand/Dubai etc) you make sure you do not get into that sort of trouble? People seem to think when their on holiday the rules dont apply..... This man could get 10 years which is crazy - but I think our country could do with taking this on, it might make people think twice of re-offending if they lived in those conditions - just like this man has.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 15 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

I completely agree with you Amie.

If someone were to come to the UK, we'd expect them to follow our laws, the least we can do is return the favour.

I wish the UK were more strict with prison sentenses! Who's afraid to go to jail if you get a free place to live with TV! With most people, unfortunately morals just aren't enough to put them off committing an offence.

And for those who are bound to jump in saying that our jails are already too crowded, well obviously we need to come up with something else then! If the UK were more strict, I bet a lot of people who are in prison wouldn't be in there now because they'd have thought twice about what they did that put them in there in the first place.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jun 15 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (AmieB @ Jun 15 2009, 04:24 PM) *
Whilst I do have some sympathy for the man sent to jail for fighting, i do not feel sorry for him as anyone who goes to Thailand knows the rules. I have been there on holiday and it is amazing. People, food etc. But i knew not to step out of line. I drank sensible (apart from the Koh Samui party laugh.gif ) and watched what we did and said.
I feel for him the way he has been treated in prison (which i know he is not exaggerating) but surely if you go to a foreign country (esp Thailand/Dubai etc) you make sure you do not get into that sort of trouble? People seem to think when their on holiday the rules dont apply..... This man could get 10 years which is crazy - but I think our country could do with taking this on, it might make people think twice of re-offending if they lived in those conditions - just like this man has.

Yes, quite agree - if you go to another country, I'm afraid you have to play by their rules.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jun 15 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Just a shame that the same principle doesn't seem to apply in this country......! £80 ticket or a slap on the wrist anyone......?

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 15 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I also agree... however, the same rules don't apply when foreigners break rules over here. They seem to get preferential treatment according to a report I read a few years ago in one of the broadsheets.

+Quote Post
Ade
post Jun 16 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 146

While I agree with your comments about abiding about the rules of the country that you live or holiday in, I think the article about David, wasn't totally clear.
First off, David DID NOT start the fight. He was defending himself when he pushed the Welshman away, who subsequently fell over and hit his head. David has 3 witnesses. One Thai, one ex pat (the owner of the bar) and one Englishman on holiday. They all agree with Davids version of events. He should be found not guilty but over here, who can tell.
Secondly and, I believe more importantly, David was in a Remand Centre. He has not been found guilty of anything but he was treated, as were all of the prisoners, little better than animals.
In fact, if 70 dogs or cats were penned into a 15 foot by 30 foot cage, there would be an outcry!
David was given 3, 1 litre coke bottles of water daily to wash himself and his clothes (Thai's are allowed to shower). He had to drink tap water. Not a good idea in Thailand. I also think David would have been a bit healthier when he got, if the vitamins supplied by the British Embassy hadn't been stolen by the Centre's one and only medic!
I have loads more info on David's time over here (I'm doing the writing as David is as usefull as a wax kettle when it comes to computers).
Ade

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jun 16 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

Ade

I have just read this article and am horrified at how David is being treated. You say he has 3 witnesses, have they managed to have their say yet? When is the court case and what are the British Government doing to help? You said the vitamins were stolen, did the embassy send more, could they have not put more pressure on the Thai's to make sure David got them?

Also what has the Welshman had to say about this, has he not offered any help in his statement. Even if a fellow Brit cracked my head open in a fight in a foreign country, i wouldn't want them to suffer a foreign prison.

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 16 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 16 2009, 08:48 AM) *
While I agree with your comments about abiding about the rules of the country that you live or holiday in, I think the article about David, wasn't totally clear.
First off, David DID NOT start the fight. He was defending himself when he pushed the Welshman away, who subsequently fell over and hit his head. David has 3 witnesses. One Thai, one ex pat (the owner of the bar) and one Englishman on holiday. They all agree with Davids version of events. He should be found not guilty but over here, who can tell.
Secondly and, I believe more importantly, David was in a Remand Centre. He has not been found guilty of anything but he was treated, as were all of the prisoners, little better than animals.
In fact, if 70 dogs or cats were penned into a 15 foot by 30 foot cage, there would be an outcry!
David was given 3, 1 litre coke bottles of water daily to wash himself and his clothes (Thai's are allowed to shower). He had to drink tap water. Not a good idea in Thailand. I also think David would have been a bit healthier when he got, if the vitamins supplied by the British Embassy hadn't been stolen by the Centre's one and only medic!
I have loads more info on David's time over here (I'm doing the writing as David is as usefull as a wax kettle when it comes to computers).
Ade

Thanks for that added info Ade. There is always 2 sides to a story. It is unfortunate that David was defending himself and has ended up being treated the way he was.
Hopefully he will get out of this mess and just holiday in the UK from now on!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:33 PM