Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forum Link
HJD
post Oct 21 2015, 09:13 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 322

Can anyone explain why the Forum Link has disappeared from its normal place on the blue header !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Oct 21 2015, 09:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

NWN are probably a bit embarrassed by the way the forum is dying.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 21 2015, 09:50 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (HJD @ Oct 21 2015, 10:13 AM) *
Can anyone explain why the Forum Link has disappeared from its normal place on the blue header !!

Maybe they are in the process of re-naming it the "Andy Capp Forum"! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 21 2015, 10:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 21 2015, 10:50 AM) *
Maybe they are in the process of re-naming it the "Andy Capp Forum"! rolleyes.gif

Nope, its going to be renamed. In future it will be the 'Bitter old men bitching about the council' page.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 21 2015, 10:44 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (HJD @ Oct 21 2015, 10:13 AM) *

Probably a favour to mates in the councils.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 21 2015, 10:54 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 21 2015, 10:50 AM) *

laugh.gif Heck hath no fury like an anti-local newspaper man scorned! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 21 2015, 10:55 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 21 2015, 11:03 AM) *
Nope, its going to be renamed. In future it will be the 'Bitter old men bitching about the council' page.

Facebook already cover that, but to a wider age group! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Oct 21 2015, 11:31 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

It's been moved to the very bottom.

I agree about it being renamed the Andy Capp Forum.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 21 2015, 12:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Oct 21 2015, 12:31 PM) *
It's been moved to the very bottom.

Well spotted.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 21 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 21 2015, 11:54 AM) *
laugh.gif Heck hath no fury like an anti-local newspaper man scorned! tongue.gif

Sorry Andy but I think (and this is probably just me) that you are one of the main culprits of driving many of the less vociferous (and some of the more) away from this forum.
Obviously you and others my disagree...........who knows? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Oct 21 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 21 2015, 07:26 PM) *
Sorry Andy but I think (and this is probably just me) that you are one of the main culprits of driving many of the less vociferous (and some of the more) away from this forum.

No, It's not just you.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 21 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

No it's not just you; I'm sure some find me irritating and I do put some off, but I cannot account for the timid, gullible, narrow-minded and humourless members of the parish. tongue.gif

It is a forum. It is harmless as I am harmless. I don't know why you (and others) get their knickers in such a twist about it.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 21 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Although I note I haven't completely managed to drive people like you and je suis Charlie away. Not that I am actually setting out to do so of course. I just have an issue with myopic opinions! tongue.gif

However, I doubt I am the main reason for the forum going quiet; many forums have fallen flat with the uptake of Facebook et al.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 21 2015, 09:24 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

Nope can't agree. Everyone is free to have an opinion, even if they seem to be the only one with that opinion, if you think you are correct stick with it until proven wrong then have the courage to admit it.

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 21 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Oct 21 2015, 10:24 PM) *
Nope can't agree. Everyone is free to have an opinion, even if they seem to be the only one with that opinion, if you think you are correct stick with it until proven wrong then have the courage to admit it.

That is the spirit! tongue.gif

You should see what it is like on football supporter forums ... even I'm scared of going on there! unsure.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 21 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

... anyway, after all that squabbling, the Forum link seems to be back where it started! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 21 2015, 10:57 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (blackdog @ Oct 21 2015, 10:44 AM) *
NWN are probably a bit embarrassed by the way the forum is dying.

I've never been entirely convinced that the NWN 'powers that be' have ever even been aware that there IS a forum on their site. The paper often gets slagged for spelling mistakes, content inaccuracies and generally is described as the 'local rag' or worse. I'm surprised they don't get rid of it or at least have Admin step in and send contributors to the Naughty Step from time to time.

Current thread in the random rants section is a prime example - "More dross in the NWN"

I even had to self-govern after an episode where I deliberately broke the swear filter and had a session liberally using the C Bomb (not 'Christmas' either) to see if I could get expelled but Admin didn't step in.... ....so I'm still here.... rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Oct 21 2015, 11:03 AM) *

How right you are....With only two sections, one of which is Newbury News, there's little to discuss and anything that happens in this sleepy little town can always be done better by the armchair Generals with their endless pots of imaginary money.

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 21 2015, 11:44 AM) *
Probably a favour to mates in the councils.

You're joking. Hardly bosom buddies.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 22 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 21 2015, 10:20 PM) *
.....but I cannot account for the timid, gullible, narrow-minded and humourless members of the parish. tongue.gif

It is a forum. It is harmless as I am harmless. I don't know why you (and others) get their knickers in such a twist about it.

I'd agree with that. It's only a bloody online forum... and quite a gentle little one at that compared to some. No 'internet hardmen' on here offering you outside for a bare knuckle Ronnie Pickering! Seldom gets heated, although opinions may differ on which way the discussion should be going when the council bashing gets a bit tiresome. rolleyes.gif

There's only a few of us on here anyway. It's hardly the most active board. As others have said there's the local Facebook page available which is more active - but that seems to be inhabited by the brain dead who have trouble putting coherent thought on screen.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 22 2015, 07:46 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 21 2015, 10:20 PM) *
No it's not just you; I'm sure some find me irritating and I do put some off, but I cannot account for the timid, gullible, narrow-minded and humourless members of the parish. tongue.gif

Fair enough I thought I may be in a minority.
I just think that on a supposedly "gentle" forum such as this that making personal remarks and denoting people as "trolls" when their views differ to your own has the effect of reducing the contributors, especially newcomers, to the small number that there are now.
Unlike that which makes a good, productive meeting where everyone can have their say without bias?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 22 2015, 09:51 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 22 2015, 08:46 AM) *
Fair enough I thought I may be in a minority.

I think whether you are or not is irreverent.

I just think that on a supposedly "gentle" forum such as this that making personal remarks and denoting people as "trolls" when their views differ to your own has the effect of reducing the contributors

You've made several assumptions and misrepresented the truth. Making personal remarks are inevitable when the topic is heated and you are no different, although you might quickly forget your offence when you post as such.

I also reject the notion that I call people trolls just because their opinions differ; that is untrue. I warn people of troll like behaviour when it merits it, and in the case of 'Petra', that was as obvious as concrete. 'Troll' is another word for 'wind-up merchant' and 'Petra' demonstrably was. Petra was arrogant, rude and officious right from the off. And now election season is over, so has 'Petra's' contributions to this forum. I also struggle to believe 'Petra' doesn't post any more because I accused 'Petra' of being a troll.

Some might say so am I arrogant and rude, but, if I am, it is almost certainly in response to being goaded or in retaliation to rudeness. I don't draw 'first blood'; I much prefer to have a sensible debate. I never come on here with the sole intention of winding people up.

especially newcomers, to the small number that there are now.
Unlike that which makes a good, productive meeting where everyone can have their say without bias?

There is almost no such thing as without bias. We are all biased, and that's where the 'trouble' starts.

It is just a forum. Post and be damned. And as it happens, I enjoy reading your posts, even if I often disagree.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:46 PM