Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many men -
HJD
post Nov 18 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 322

How many men does it take to get round to replacing several duff light bulbs at the Robin Hood Traffic Lights. And also the set which was crashed into, or is this an early example of the cuts we are to expect !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 18 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the thin edge of a very long wedge..... I'd suggest that we'd better start getting used to it... potholes are next (though no doubt some wag will say that potholes have been left to sort themselves out for a long time now)...

Changing subject slightly, but I noticed someone digging away through the salt bin on our road last night. Car alongside , a couple of heavy duty plastic bags and a spade... Does this count as 'stealing'? It's just that I've noticed bags of salt being sold at B&Q, which has probably prompted the thieves to 'stock up' again...

It's my money (and yours) that goes towards paying for salt... Would you be inclined to report them? (I could have taken the registration number but what's the point... the police wouldn't do anything and I'm not sure if it's a 'crime' anyway...)

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 18 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (HJD @ Nov 18 2010, 07:12 PM) *
How many men does it take to get round to replacing several duff light bulbs at the Robin Hood Traffic Lights. And also the set which was crashed into, or is this an early example of the cuts we are to expect !!

Or women! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Nov 19 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 18 2010, 06:41 PM) *
Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the thin edge of a very long wedge..... I'd suggest that we'd better start getting used to it... potholes are next (though no doubt some wag will say that potholes have been left to sort themselves out for a long time now)...

Changing subject slightly, but I noticed someone digging away through the salt bin on our road last night. Car alongside , a couple of heavy duty plastic bags and a spade... Does this count as 'stealing'? It's just that I've noticed bags of salt being sold at B&Q, which has probably prompted the thieves to 'stock up' again...

It's my money (and yours) that goes towards paying for salt... Would you be inclined to report them? (I could have taken the registration number but what's the point... the police wouldn't do anything and I'm not sure if it's a 'crime' anyway...)

This was discussed on here during 1 of last winter's snow falls; I believe it to be theft. Grit bins are placed on inclines by councils/highways & filled by them for Joe Public to use on public roads. I did exactly this on the hill where I live, several times last winter; just enough for a vehicle to get up or down, as there are several elderly &/or poorly people on the estate who might need to get out, despite the fact that I didn't move my car from the drive. I was amazed by the selfish woman in her Mercedes who stole a large bin for her drive & a family who sent their children with their recycling bin to collect grit for their drive...both of who could clearly have purchased their own grit, & neither of who gave little ole me a hand to clear the hill!
It is a sad indictment when councils can't even trust people not to knick grit, let alone hope people will be community spirited enough to clear the roads they couldn't possibly get round to.
I agree, it is our money they're stealing, think we should report anyone, although I agree, it's possibly not crime of the centuary?! However, if you accept this, your children will be next....

+Quote Post
Darren
post Nov 20 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I went to Homebase and bought 3 bags for £7 a bag so I'm sorted now. Mines sown around it too.

Of course it now means not a flake will fall this winter....

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 20 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Rachel @ Nov 19 2010, 11:04 PM) *
However, if you accept this, your children will be next....

Great idea! Send the kids out to nick the grit. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ron
post Nov 20 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Darren @ Nov 20 2010, 03:30 AM) *
I went to Homebase and bought 3 bags for £7 a bag so I'm sorted now. Mines sown around it too.

Go to Hillliers and get it for £5 a bag.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Nov 22 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Darren @ Nov 20 2010, 03:30 AM) *

Weather forecast just reported snow for our area Thursday/Friday so you may get to use it early. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Dec 6 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 18 2010, 06:41 PM) *

Have just telephoned our parish council to report a woman stealing grit from a bin. She spoke with a cut glass accent, drove an 09 car with a lurcher mascot on the bonnet, said she only wanted a little for her path, claimed she'd asked for her local bin to be filled & asked who I was! I politely explained I was a tax paying member of the public who would only use that grit to grit this public road, & that what she was doing was stealing it for use on private property. She got flustered & drove off, taking a small bucket full with her. Would she go into a public library & take some of the paper towels from the toilet as oppose to buying her own? Or take a swing out of the park so that her family could use it in the comfort of her garden? Public money buys items for use by the public on public property. How simple can it be?
I'm told that a Lambourn Trainer has been reported for stealing grit too. Apparently, they were offered grit at £40 per tonne, but this 1 prefered to steal it instead. Don't know if any of this is fact, but if so, it shows what the parish council is up against, doesn't it?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 6 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Rachel @ Dec 6 2010, 01:13 PM) *
Have just telephoned our parish council to report a woman stealing grit from a bin. She spoke with a cut glass accent, drove an 09 car with a lurcher mascot on the bonnet, said she only wanted a little for her path, claimed she'd asked for her local bin to be filled & asked who I was! I politely explained I was a tax paying member of the public who would only use that grit to grit this public road, & that what she was doing was stealing it for use on private property. She got flustered & drove off, taking a small bucket full with her. Would she go into a public library & take some of the paper towels from the toilet as oppose to buying her own? Or take a swing out of the park so that her family could use it in the comfort of her garden? Public money buys items for use by the public on public property. How simple can it be?
I'm told that a Lambourn Trainer has been reported for stealing grit too. Apparently, they were offered grit at £40 per tonne, but this 1 prefered to steal it instead. Don't know if any of this is fact, but if so, it shows what the parish council is up against, doesn't it?

Good for you Rachel.Well done.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 6 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Nov 22 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Weather forecast just reported snow for our area Thursday/Friday so you may get to use it early. sad.gif

I did and it worked a treat. Pavement was clear and the road outside too. So far I've used about a quarter of a bag as if you are careful and spread it by hand, a little goes a long way.

Now, if only everybody did it....

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 6 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

When a local road was resurfaced they placed a good layer of gravel on a private road as they had churned it up. We watched each night as an elderly lady came out, in her nightwear, with a sandcastle type bucket and helped herself.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 6 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Have just telephoned our parish council to report a woman stealing grit from a bin. She spoke with a cut glass accent, drove an 09 car with a lurcher mascot on the bonnet... She got flustered & drove off, taking a small bucket full with her.

I have this lovely image of the salt from that toppled bucket eating its way through the floor of that nice shiny 09 car's boot. Nice one. cool.gif

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
HJD
post Dec 6 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

She spoke with a cut glass accent, drove an 09 car with a lurcher mascot on the bonnet, said she only wanted a little for her path, claimed she'd asked for her local bin to be filled & asked who I was! I politely explained I was a tax paying member of the public who would only use that grit to grit this public road, & that what she was doing was stealing it for use on private property. She got flustered & drove off, taking a small bucket full with her.

I can picture the sort of person Rachel. They usually say 'Do you know who i am'. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Dec 6 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Dec 6 2010, 07:26 PM) *
I can picture the sort of person Rachel. They usually say 'Do you know who i am'. wink.gif

I think that was the final straw for me; I am a respectful type of person, especially to my elders, but respect is a mutual thing. With hind sight I wish I'd told her I was a councillor & asked her her name, but was so affronted by her demand to identify myself (er, the one NOT knicking the grit!) that it momentarilly took me off guard! blink.gif Why can I never think that quickly, darn it!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 7 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Ron @ Nov 21 2010, 12:38 AM) *
Go to Hillliers and get it for £5 a bag.

Buy all you can, stock it up, and then sell it on eBay when it gets scarce for £50 a bag! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 7 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Various Councils now supplying grit for people to clear their own roads.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:17 AM