Reply to this topicStart new topic
> M4 to Become Hydrogen Highway
Blake
post Feb 17 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 75

I was delighted to read this, I cannot wait to dump my polluting and rip-off fossil fueled motoring and switch to renewable.

This should help slash our CO2 emissions and help save the planet from climate change; bring it on!

M4 to become 'hydrogen highway'

A busy motorway is soon to cater for green motorists, ministers have announced.

Drivers of electric and hydrogen-powered vehicles will be able to refuel and recharge their low carbon vehicles on the M4, which spans from south Wales to London, they said.

The Government made the announcement as part of proposals to boost the renewable energy sector.

The "hydrogen highway" aims to promote electric, hydrogen, compressed natural gas and bio-methane as an alternative fuel to petrol and diesel.

Ministers confirmed that south Wales will become the latest Low Carbon Economic Area, with the M4 offering the biggest low carbon refuelling infrastructure in the UK.

There are also plans to include other regions, with similar filling points proposed for Swindon, London and the Midlands.
Source: http://www.rac.co.uk/news-advice/motoring-...drogen-highway/

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Feb 17 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Blake @ Feb 17 2010, 11:37 AM) *
I was delighted to read this, I cannot wait to dump my polluting and rip-off fossil fueled motoring and switch to renewable.

This should help slash our CO2 emissions and help save the planet from climate change; bring it on!

M4 to become 'hydrogen highway'

A busy motorway is soon to cater for green motorists, ministers have announced.

Drivers of electric and hydrogen-powered vehicles will be able to refuel and recharge their low carbon vehicles on the M4, which spans from south Wales to London, they said.

The Government made the announcement as part of proposals to boost the renewable energy sector.

The "hydrogen highway" aims to promote electric, hydrogen, compressed natural gas and bio-methane as an alternative fuel to petrol and diesel.

Ministers confirmed that south Wales will become the latest Low Carbon Economic Area, with the M4 offering the biggest low carbon refuelling infrastructure in the UK.

There are also plans to include other regions, with similar filling points proposed for Swindon, London and the Midlands.
Source: http://www.rac.co.uk/news-advice/motoring-...drogen-highway/

Be a great target for Al-Queada Operatives as well. Imagine all that Hydrogen going up.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 17 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 17 2010, 11:42 AM) *
Be a great target for Al-Queada Operatives as well. Imagine all that Hydrogen going up.
As opposed to the highly stable substance most people now use for fuel?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 17 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Torchy
post Feb 17 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 218

I seem to remember the Hindenburg was Hydrogen powered...

Seriously though, how is the Hydrogen generated? Fossil fuel wouldn't play any part by chance?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 17 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Torchy @ Feb 17 2010, 12:36 PM) *

Seriously though, how is the Hydrogen generated? Fossil fuel wouldn't play any part by chance?

I believe that Hydrogen is one of the most prolific gases on the Planet. It's almost inexhaustable but difficult to process for commercial use.
So I expect that manufacturers, distributers and the Government will all be making as much money as they can out of it.
Don't expect to see any low prices any time soon.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Feb 17 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 17 2010, 11:42 AM) *

Big Bang for sure. I wonder what would happen to the Middle East long term though if there wasn't such a big need for oil anymore

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 17 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I don't think I fancy driving along with a pressurised container of liquid hydrogen on my vehicle. blink.gif

I wonder what the safety measures are?

+Quote Post
Blake
post Feb 17 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

All this has been considered and suitable materials developed to hold the gas under pressure.

I am certain the hydrogen stations will be secure.

This should be the answer to our low-carbon prayers. Can't wait to use it.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 17 2010, 03:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Can't you do that already? Isn't LPG much greener? I don't know if it uses fossil fuels to produce though.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Feb 17 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

LPG is a by-product of fossil fuels.

I guess one drawback of hydrogen is if numpties were to drive onto our much-loved Newbury bollards and get the tanks pierced. Still, the resulting explosion could rid us of idiot drivers...sounds like a win-win scenario.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 17 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Blake @ Feb 17 2010, 03:19 PM) *
LPG is a by-product of fossil fuels. I guess one drawback of hydrogen is if numpties were to drive onto our much-loved Newbury bollards and get the tanks pierced. Still, the resulting explosion could rid us of idiot drivers...

...and the bollards, and a shop front.

QUOTE (Blake @ Feb 17 2010, 03:19 PM) *
sounds like a win-win scenario.

Agreed.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 17 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 17 2010, 03:15 PM) *
Can't you do that already? Isn't LPG much greener? I don't know if it uses fossil fuels to produce though.

errr, LPG = Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Feb 17 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I would have thought that using wind power electricity to produce hydrogen from sea water would overcome the issue of no electricity when the wind isn't blowing.

At the moment, there has to be sufficient non-wind capacity in the Grid to provide continuing power on still days.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 17 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Feb 17 2010, 06:11 PM) *
I would have thought that using wind power electricity to produce hydrogen from sea water would overcome the issue of no electricity when the wind isn't blowing.

Thought that was a bit of a non-sequitur, until I read it again. Do you mean produce hydrogen when the wind is blowing, then burn it in turbines when it's not? Not sure how efficient that would be.

Sounds a bit like Dinorwig where they pump water up the hill to the reservoir at night when demand is low, then use it to generate hydro-electric power during the day.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 17 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Feb 17 2010, 06:11 PM) *

At the moment, there has to be sufficient non-wind capacity in the Grid to provide continuing power on still days.

Yes, it is a great way to use electricity being produced 'for free' at times when no one wants to use it. Way back, it was thought of for nuclear generation, where a nice big load at night would be very useful! Just an aside - Transport for London will have 8 hydrogen powered busses by the end of 2010 and intend converting taxis. Apparently biggest issue is public perception. Hindenburgh disaster - most of the deaths were people falling from the airship. Same as our own R101 - which was sent on its way with known faults simply to save political faces. Hydrogen blow UP not along like petrol, so you are far less likely to get seriously burned. Petrol is far more dangerous because of that.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post Feb 18 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (Torchy @ Feb 17 2010, 12:36 PM) *

There are a number of ways. One is by electrolysis, which breaks up water into hydrogen and oxygen. The electricity could be produced by solar power, rather than fossil fuels. And when the oxygen is burned, you are back to water again.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 18 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Brewmaster @ Feb 18 2010, 11:04 AM) *
There are a number of ways. One is by electrolysis, which breaks up water into hydrogen and oxygen. The electricity could be produced by solar power, rather than fossil fuels. And when the oxygen is burned, you are back to water again.

And yet, water is 2xOxygen and 1xHydrogen atoms???

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 18 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (Brewmaster @ Feb 18 2010, 11:04 AM) *

No wish to enter into the science of the subject , but surely oxygen is more precious than anything . With the diminishing rain forests syndrome leading to less generation of the gas now is not the time to waste it on transportation.
The answer lies in the nuclear fusion field ( fusion not fission ).
Short term fix seems to be de rigueur in the present political spectrum to our long term detriment .

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 18 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Feb 18 2010, 11:35 AM) *
And yet, water is 2xOxygen and 1xHydrogen atoms???

Sorry, other way around. 2xHydrogen and 1x Oxygen. Doh!!!!!!

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:25 AM