Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reading Borough Council HQ Move, Why?
x2lls
post May 31 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

Considering the austerity situation, isn't £60m an unjustified expenditure?

To quote, from BBC....

"The leader of the Lib Dems in Reading, Daisy Benson, supported the move to Plaza West.

But she said: "... The council must not sign a blank cheque. With public finances under huge pressure at the moment in Reading the council needs to keep a tight rein on costs for the civic relocation project to ensure that an extra burden is not placed on local taxpayers."
"

So, when does a blank cheque stop being a blank cheque?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 31 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

I remember moving. It cost maybe £1000, for a professional company. Took 2 days.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 31 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (x2lls @ May 31 2012, 01:00 PM) *
Considering the austerity situation, isn't £60m an unjustified expenditure?

To quote, from BBC....

"The leader of the Lib Dems in Reading, Daisy Benson, supported the move to Plaza West.

But she said: "... The council must not sign a blank cheque. With public finances under huge pressure at the moment in Reading the council needs to keep a tight rein on costs for the civic relocation project to ensure that an extra burden is not placed on local taxpayers."
"

So, when does a blank cheque stop being a blank cheque?

Might seem so - but arguably its capital spend. Keynsian economists would argue now is exactly the right time to do such things. Was told a few years back that Reading does have a big vision - to make the place a vibrant 'euro city'. The station means its a transport hub and it now has a first class stadium / shopping centre. Tiogether with a good University. So, retain 'Victorian parts of city centre and the outer terraces, get rid of the Sixties concrete and replace with modern high stack lofts. Delivery is over a decade - but we end up with a real pull in Berkshire. Hope they make it.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 31 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Reading can do as it wishes, I guess. Is the matter of the 'new' civic offices another example of big capital spends are sexy, whereas looking after the existing buildings (revenue) is boring? When were the old offices built? 1980? So after 32 years they want to replace at a cost of 60m.... How much maintenance cost over those 32 years would have kept the building in good order?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 31 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 31 2012, 08:55 PM) *
Reading can do as it wishes, I guess. Is the matter of the 'new' civic offices another example of big capital spends are sexy, whereas looking after the existing buildings (revenue) is boring? When were the old offices built? 1980? So after 32 years they want to replace at a cost of 60m.... How much maintenance cost over those 32 years would have kept the building in good order?

I see you miss the point? It is not about costs etc. that does not enter the equation it is about the Councillors and staff having the latest looking building. You must be seen to have the latest design of building for a modern council you know? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 31 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

The building is early 70's - not time expired and in very good order. Simply site needs redeveloping. There is a tangible benefit case which demonstrates the benefit the total vision will bring to the town and its inhabitants. This is one component and the replacement is likely to be much higher (i.e. Foster Wheeler replacement size). This is real 'brown field' redevelopment and as far as I can gather is likely to include a fair number of residential apartments. The move out is site clearence to enable the work. This certainly isn't a matter of giving RBC staff five star accommodation - they probably won't see much difference at work at least.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 31 2012, 09:44 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 31 2012, 09:46 PM) *
The building is early 70's - not time expired and in very good order

"Time expired" is not an expression I had come across before I heard this discussed on the local news. And I'm sure they said it was. What does it mean anyway? Is it the same as a "use by" date on food, meaning that the building is in imminent danger of collapse?

Is time expiry the fault of modern building techniques, since there are quite a few 300-year-old buildings still standing (and lived in)?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 31 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 31 2012, 10:44 PM) *
"Time expired" is not an expression I had come across before I heard this discussed on the local news. And I'm sure they said it was. What does it mean anyway? Is it the same as a "use by" date on food, meaning that the building is in imminent danger of collapse?

Is time expiry the fault of modern building techniques, since there are quite a few 300-year-old buildings still standing (and lived in)?

Sorry its simply jargon - comes from working too closely with certain breed of IT people trying to sell upgraded hardware. Trying to explain the preswent building is still adequate for its present use. I don't think it suffers from the issues some concrete clad buidlings suffer - where iron reinforcing rods rust. In economic terms it seems that a far higher utilisatiuon of the site can be achieved by replacing it. So the same site would hold a bigger office block and apartments.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 31 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

No, I don't think it's just you - I'm sure I heard the same expression in respect of this building quite recently somewhere else, probably the news.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jun 1 2012, 02:33 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

The fact is that (an estimated) £60m is being spent in a time of huge shortfalls in finances.
With services being cut and a councillor stating 'extra burden on taxpayers', which shows the acknowledgement of a tax burden already, the 'huge pressure on public finances', could be somewhat reduced by staying put! Where is the justification?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 1 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

How does this affect us?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 1 2012, 09:20 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

As I said earlier, wheat Reading do is a matter for them, but then again it is what Councils do, and we have one of our own. Councils are afflicted by a requirement to spend on capital projects, not to look after what they have. They also tend to get Govt grants (tax money) for capital projects, but nothing for repairs.....

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 1 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 1 2012, 09:18 AM) *
How does this affect us?

Absolutley nothing! I suspect we'd (or at least we should be) be quite uptight if Reading charge payers started having a tilt at West Berks. How we choose to run our local affairs is up to us.

The only element which may be of political interest is the centrally imposed housing allocation. Apparentkly Reading wants more - to support those high stacker lofts. However, our brightest and best rejected their proposal to take some of West Berkshire's allocation. We do all want to redevelop Watership Down don't we!

The other benefit for us, if Reading does make it - we'll have some great entertainment / shopping / cultural facilities just down the road.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 2 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 1 2012, 02:04 PM) *
We do all want to redevelop Watership Down don't we!

Actually, Watership Down is quite safe. You mean Sandleford, I think. wink.gif

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 2 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jun 2 2012, 05:23 PM) *
Actually, Watership Down is quite safe.

Unless Hampshire County Council or Basingstoke & Deane have a cunning plan.......

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:54 PM