Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last bus from Newbury to Reading
Ted Maul
post Jun 29 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 990

18.50??

That's terrible. Can they not run at least one an hour after that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 29 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Reading buses won't do anything unless the council are throwing money at them!!!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 29 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 29 2011, 06:03 PM) *
Reading buses won't do anything unless the council are throwing money at them!!!

And the Labour answer is?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jun 29 2011, 05:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 29 2011, 06:25 PM) *
And the Labour answer is?

Garvie-bikes perhaps?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 29 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jun 29 2011, 05:49 PM) *
Garvie-bikes perhaps?

I like it!!!

I would personally take the contract from Reading Buses, and give it to Newbury & District direct. The money saved from paying Reading Buses who then pay Newbury & District could pay for an additional couple of services, surely?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 29 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 29 2011, 06:58 PM) *
I like it!!!

I would personally take the contract from Reading Buses, and give it to Newbury & District direct. The money saved from paying Reading Buses who then pay Newbury & District could pay for an additional couple of services, surely?
Won't Newbury & District ask for the same money as Reading Buses if they're taking on the same contract?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 29 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

I like it!!!

Would it?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 29 2011, 07:53 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 29 2011, 06:47 PM) *
Won't Newbury & District ask for the same money as Reading Buses if they're taking on the same contract?

No, because Reading Buses are making money from sub contracting it out. If we cut out the middleman, we can save some cash and spend more on actual services.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 29 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 29 2011, 08:53 PM) *
No, because Reading Buses are making money from sub contracting it out. If we cut out the middleman, we can save some cash and spend more on actual services.
If Newbury & District were to become liable for delivering everything in the contract and the penalties that go with it which I suspect they're not as sub-contractors, presumably they'll want paying the same as Reading Buses won't they?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 29 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

I like it!!!

Give?
Not sell? Is that good value for money? Does Simon want the business? Can he deliver the infrastructure?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 29 2011, 09:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 29 2011, 08:25 PM) *
Give?
Not sell? Is that good value for money? Does Simon want the business? Can he deliver the infrastructure?

Newbury & District run the Jet Black services already, but recieve money from Reading Buses to do it, after Reading Buses have creamed off some of the subsidy for themselves.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 29 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 29 2011, 10:38 PM) *
Newbury & District run the Jet Black services already, but recieve money from Reading Buses to do it, after Reading Buses have creamed off some of the subsidy for themselves.

But that is not the whole West Berkshire bus service, is it? Simon knows his business, and is able to target his involvement with the local public transport provision. having to do the whole thing all the time would be very different. If he does not want that business a solution of 'giving it to him' will not work.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 29 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 29 2011, 09:51 PM) *
But that is not the whole West Berkshire bus service, is it? Simon knows his business, and is able to target his involvement with the local public transport provision. having to do the whole thing all the time would be very different. If he does not want that business a solution of 'giving it to him' will not work.

But if you read the original post, you will see that we are talking about the Jet Black service. Are you deliberately trying to confuse the issue, or have you just not read the entire thread?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 29 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 29 2011, 10:53 PM) *
But if you read the original post, you will see that we are talking about the Jet Black service. Are you deliberately trying to confuse the issue, or have you just not read the entire thread?

Perish the thought that anyone should claim your mantle, Richard......

If Simon thought he could make money by running a service, rest assured he would, be it the current 'Jet Black' routes or any other.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 29 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 29 2011, 10:06 PM) *
Perish the thought that anyone should claim your mantle, Richard......

If Simon thought he could make money by running a service, rest assured he would, be it the current 'Jet Black' routes or any other.

Surely he is making money on jetblack otherwise he wouldn't do it on reading buses behalf. My point is, if the subsidy went direct to Newbury & District, we may get more for our money. Do you really think that Reading Buses give Newbury & District a £1 for every £1 they recieve from the council for that service??? Nope, they do not.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 30 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 29 2011, 11:40 PM) *
Surely he is making money on jetblack otherwise he wouldn't do it on reading buses behalf. My point is, if the subsidy went direct to Newbury & District, we may get more for our money. Do you really think that Reading Buses give Newbury & District a £1 for every £1 they recieve from the council for that service??? Nope, they do not.

I make no criticism of Simons business whatsoever, but he does not only use his JetBlack service vehicles on route work. He does not carry 'dead' time, just runs the service when it will make him money. You are careering down a rocky descent again, I fear.

As for your last statement - you know so, or you are sure so?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jun 30 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 30 2011, 09:20 AM) *
I make no criticism of Simons business whatsoever, but he does not only use his JetBlack service vehicles on route work. He does not carry 'dead' time, just runs the service when it will make him money. You are careering down a rocky descent again, I fear.

As for your last statement - you know so, or you are sure so?

What are you on about? You keep chopping and changing your argument. A few posts ago, you were on about district services. Go back, read the original topic and then comment. The last bus to Reading from Newbury leaves before 7pm. I suggested that if the council paid Newbury & District directly, we would get more for our money. Jet Black services are sub contracted to Newbury & District by Reading Buses, who are paid to run the service. Are you really suggesting that every penny goes to Newbury & District? If so, why would Reading Buses want the administration and hassle?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 30 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 29 2011, 11:40 PM) *
Do you really think that Reading Buses give Newbury & District a £1 for every £1 they recieve from the council for that service??? Nope, they do not.
How much do they give them for every pound received?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 1 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jun 30 2011, 02:08 PM) *
What are you on about? You keep chopping and changing your argument. A few posts ago, you were on about district services. Go back, read the original topic and then comment. The last bus to Reading from Newbury leaves before 7pm. I suggested that if the council paid Newbury & District directly, we would get more for our money. Jet Black services are sub contracted to Newbury & District by Reading Buses, who are paid to run the service. Are you really suggesting that every penny goes to Newbury & District? If so, why would Reading Buses want the administration and hassle?

In general terms, across the network, you cannot be sure Simon could run the services cheaper; as regards the JetBlack, he uses the buses for other work when not on route, so may not easily step up the service provision as you suggest - he would be stopping one area of work in order to do another;
The last bus from Reading to Newbury being 1900hrs is not acceptable;
I do not know the financial arrangement between Reading and Simon, but as his support avoids Reading paying penalties the sums are not necessarily straightforward.
As regards the admin and hassle, it seems Reading want rid as soon as possible!

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Jul 1 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 1 2011, 11:26 AM) *
The last bus from Reading to Newbury being 1900hrs is not acceptable;

At the moment a large proportion of people who live along that corridor and work in Reading get the train anyway precisely because they can get back after that relatively early time. However, it would be good to have a more cost-effective and convenient transport option, especially for the residents of north/west Thatcham who are not as well served by the railway network as most of the rest of the district.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:20 PM