Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spot the Pot Hotline, Why?
On the edge
post May 27 2012, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Can't see what advantage a 'Spot the Pot(hole)' hotline could possibly have over the existing means of being able to notify the Council.

Seems to me that inspite of the massive increase in work down to the last few winters, the Council is actually doing a pretty good job.

Keeping the roads in a reasonable condition is expensive anyway and having to do so in a period of extreme economic severity must be a challenge.

Really can't see that the LibDems would do any better. This latest idea would simply waste money on additional bureacracy - something we are trying to avoid?

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 27 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

The current system seems to be rather hit and miss. I complained about the state of Craven Road from Bartholomew St to Kennet Road. Nothing has been done and never got a reply.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 27 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Darren @ May 27 2012, 09:59 AM) *
The current system seems to be rather hit and miss. I complained about the state of Craven Road from Bartholomew St to Kennet Road. Nothing has been done and never got a reply.

I must be Mr Lucky of Lucky Street in Lucky Town, as whenever I have reported road faults there has been action within days.......

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 27 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 27 2012, 10:07 AM) *
I must be Mr Lucky of Lucky Street in Lucky Town, as whenever I have reported road faults there has been action within days.......

A weekend good deed job then? Drive round Newbury and report the pot holes and get a quick repair carried out for everyone? It took them nine months to repair trenching cables that were filled in by the contractors when I reported it. The trench across the road was at least four inches deep and eight inches wide, more effect than a sleeping policeman, when they did finally get around to repairing it the contractors shoveled some tarmac in and tamped it down with the back of their shovels. The first HGV that come round and it was scattered all over the road surface again so a complete waste of time. Reported it again and still not repaired fifteen months now. So are you able to use your obvious influence and get it sorted? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 27 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

This is just more nonsense dreamed up by Keith Woodhams to try and score political points because that's what the opposition are meant to do... but he just ends up embarrassing himself. Why would (or should) a 'Hotline number' be treated any differently than using the current number for Streetcare? If you report it, it should be acted on within their response times - assuming the pothole meets their 'intervention levels' for needing a fix.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 27 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

The amount of potholes is terrible, all the way down Lower Way, ones which are outside BP (which were fixed approx 8 weeks ago and then broke again), appalling really.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 27 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Any ideas on how to fix them economically without closing the road for months to enable a complete rebuild?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 27 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Kintbury road from Wash Common through Enbourn is in a rotten state.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 27 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 27 2012, 04:50 PM) *
Any ideas on how to fix them economically without closing the road for months to enable a complete rebuild?

To be honest, in terms of fixing things properly, it would be best to close big chunks at a time and work around the clock to fully and freshly resurface the roads.
I was in France a few years ago, all of the roads (well, B-road and up equivalent) were beautiful and smooth. The problem with the UK is that the councils and government spend X billion surfacing roads to begin with.
They then allow Bob from Thames Water, or Scottish Gas, to cut up the middle of the road to stick pipes under. Bob works with his figures all rounded down so they use cheap, poor quality tar to fill in the gaps they create and they are not levelled out properly. The following winter water can penetrate and cause the problems we saw last year.

Has anyone gone down Lower Way recently, where they are doing exactly what I outlined above; this section of road previously was fairly smooth, now there are several noticable bumps where they have done their works and re-surfaced poorly.

The private companies that do this never put the road back to it's prior condition. Why on earth do they not lay pipes under footpaths? It's a much better idea; inspection holes can be on the path, not the road, they are not put under the pressure of the cars that travel above them, and they do not cause congestion as repair work takes place on the path; not the road!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 27 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Would certainly agree that 'round the clock' working would be one way of reducing the backlog. Putting mains in thepavement - might also help going forward. Against squeals from utilities. So that ought to be part of a wider moive for fare sharper management of utility operations - in spite of legislation still seems adhoc and still not really managed anywhere near fasty enough. So for all these things,its some tighter aqnd more effective managememnt we need; rather than a hotline. Fairly obvious really, why won't our 'opposition' properly scrutinise and hold to account?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 27 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

Ooh I love this idea. The Thornford Road is one of my big bug bears. I complained to Newbury council about it but they said it didn't fall under their jurisdiction which I thought odd. Is it Basingstoke ? For reference the bit I complained about is the top end of the road nearer the Thatcham side though I think it could all do with being resurfaced.

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 27 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ May 27 2012, 09:33 PM) *
Ooh I love this idea. The Thornford Road is one of my big bug bears. I complained to Newbury council about it but they saidiit didn't gall under htheor jurisdiction which I thought odd. Is it Brainstorm and deane? For reference the bit I complained about is the top end of the road nearer the Thatcher side, though I think it could all do with being resurfaced.

Auto-correct on?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 27 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Ooh I love this idea. The Thornford Road is one of my big bug bears. I complained to Newbury council about it but they saidiit didn't gall under htheor jurisdiction which I thought odd. Is it Brainstorm and deane? For reference the bit I complained about is the top end of the road nearer the Thatcher side, though I think it could all do with being resurfaced.

I'm pretty sure the Enborne is the boundary between Berkshire and Hampshire in this neck of the woods and Thornford Road is on the Berkshire side. When you say that you complained to Newbury council, do you mean Newbury Town Council, because they don't have responsibility for roads, it's West Berkshire Council you need to complain to.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 27 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ May 27 2012, 09:52 PM) *
Auto-correct on?

Indeed. Stupid phone!

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 27 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 27 2012, 10:00 PM) *
I'm pretty sure the Enborne is the boundary between Berkshire and Hampshire in this neck of the woods and Thornford Road is on the Berkshire side. When you say that you complained to Newbury council, do you mean Newbury Town Council, because they don't have responsibility for roads, it's West Berkshire Council you need to complain to.

It was online via the west weeks council. This was the only thing I got a response to (I complained about some other pot holes and fly tipping). I'll report this again then, that road is an awful mess!

+Quote Post
massifheed
post May 28 2012, 08:13 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Baffers100 @ May 27 2012, 10:26 PM) *
It was online via the west weeks council.

That may be the problem. wink.gif

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 28 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ May 27 2012, 12:05 PM) *
A weekend good deed job then? Drive round Newbury and report the pot holes and get a quick repair carried out for everyone? It took them nine months to repair trenching cables that were filled in by the contractors when I reported it. The trench across the road was at least four inches deep and eight inches wide, more effect than a sleeping policeman, when they did finally get around to repairing it the contractors shoveled some tarmac in and tamped it down with the back of their shovels. The first HGV that come round and it was scattered all over the road surface again so a complete waste of time. Reported it again and still not repaired fifteen months now. So are you able to use your obvious influence and get it sorted? rolleyes.gif

I was talking about potholes caused by 'normal' surface deterioration. You are talking about defective trench repairs by utility contractors. While the general outcome is the same the route to solution is very different. Utility repairs have to be up st standard for 2 years after the job has been done. Thus their approach is to throw something together when they finish the job. If it lasts 2 years they walk away. If it doesn't they put off the make-good until the 2 years is nearly up so they don't get called back again.....
Highways don't seem keen to give the utility companies a hard time.......

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 28 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Ooh I love this idea. The Thornford Road is one of my big bug bears. I complained to Newbury council about it but they said it didn't fall under their jurisdiction which I thought odd. Is it Basingstoke ? For reference the bit I complained about is the top end of the road nearer the Thatcham side though I think it could all do with being resurfaced.

Allowing for your fun with spellchecker etc, I suspect whoever you spoke to thought you meant Thornford Road in Headley - the one that leads to the Ford and which is in Hampshire.....

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 28 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 28 2012, 01:50 PM) *
Allowing for your fun with spellchecker etc, I suspect whoever you spoke to thought you meant Thornford Road in Headley - the one that leads to the Ford and which is in Hampshire.....

Yes I wrote the message on my phone. Tried to edit the message but it looks like the nonsense was deleted!

I meant the Thornford Road, but at the end where it joins Old Thornford Road on the Thatcham side, (and then becomes Crookham Common Road), not the end which joins the A339. Does that still come under Hampshire?

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post May 28 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Whilst I do not know every piece of the road network. I was married to someone who knew a lot.
I could spout on about things. Utility works have specific standards.
Highways, and Local Authority works ignore them.
Potholes and trenches can be caused by other than utility companies.
And we all need gas,water electricity repairs asap. Most of the repairs are better than previous conditions.
ce.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:09 PM