Simon Kirby
post Apr 27 2015, 10:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Independent parties prove to be a growing influence

L-to-R Charlie, Simon, Kettle, Peter, Clover, Dave

There is little sense in party politics in local government where everything should be about the issues and national party dogma has little relevance. What I believe local politics needs in Newbury is greater involvement and consensus, and objective rational debate with the evidence out in the open. There are some credible alternatives to traditional party politics this year - and that's not just a shaggy dog story.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 27 2015, 11:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Good luck, I hope you do well.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 28 2015, 05:02 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

What magnificent looking beasts!
<My favourite breed! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 28 2015, 06:09 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 28 2015, 06:02 AM) *
What magnificent looking beasts!
<My favourite breed! smile.gif

But remember, Apoliticals aren't for everyone, they can be very independent and don't follow instructions well, and they will dig.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 28 2015, 08:17 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Surely, as Party members, none of these candidates are Independent?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Apr 28 2015, 08:32 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Apr 28 2015, 09:17 AM) *
Surely, as Party members, none of these candidates are Independent?

As far as I can work out of the four pictured one is against any green field development, but especially Sandleford; one is pro-Sandleford providing it is done well with a country park; and the other two want the planning system abolished to allow developers to build the huge number of houses needed without undue interference from authority.

I don't really see a party line there.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Apr 28 2015, 01:26 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

In the original photo I notice the reporter has left Simon's name out, was there any particular reason I wonder unsure.gif .

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 28 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (blackdog @ Apr 28 2015, 09:32 AM) *
As far as I can work out of the four pictured one is against any green field development, but especially Sandleford; one is pro-Sandleford providing it is done well with a country park; and the other two want the planning system abolished to allow developers to build the huge number of houses needed without undue interference from authority.

I don't really see a party line there.

I didn't say they were one party, but the story begins 'The Apolitical party, The Green Party and UKIP'. UKIP are a Party.....
So none of the 'Independents' are free of a Party lead (it seems).

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 28 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Apr 28 2015, 02:26 PM) *
In the original photo I notice the reporter has left Simon's name out, was there any particular reason I wonder unsure.gif .

Nothing sinister, the story was just about standing for District which Charlie, Dave, and Peter are, I'm only standing for Town and the story didn't touch on that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Petra
post Apr 28 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,567

Dear Independents’,

I admire your zeitgeist, but sadly misplaced. Independents on here are wasting their time because they are never going to be satisfied. To achieve certain goals in politics you need the collective spirit of those that require change. Independent’s are just a bunch of free-thinking-individuals that either work on behalf of the ordinary people or with a sense of justice (falsely). To get things done, you need obedience and loyalty to a figurehead. Politicians or even people who work for bureaucratic organizations such as a councils’, need to be under the whip so that everybody is singing from the same song sheet. Council can’t or shouldn’t elect freethinking do-gooders, who in the end will mess things up and create havoc for everybody. Parties have a specific-agenda, which needs to be followed, implemented with precision and a degree of strict-collective control. They are there for the majority and that means making hard uncompromising decisions.

You can’t have people willy-nilly challenging every decision that their masters have ordered them to carry out. Don’t get me wrong, I am not suggesting that there can’t be free thinkers under an umbrella of a controlled unit, but eventually a decisive decision needs to be taken and then followed loyally through.

At this election, whether it be General or local, there will only be one winner and that will be a party machine. Independents could be a spanner thrown in the works, which could cause confusion and no overall-winner. This would be no good for communities. Do you really want this?

Yours,
Petra.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 28 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

As mad as a cut snake. Barking!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
CrackerJack
post Apr 28 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,554

QUOTE (Petra @ Apr 28 2015, 07:22 PM) *
Dear Independents’,

To achieve certain goals in politics you need the collective spirit of those that require change.

To get things done, you need obedience and loyalty to a figurehead. Politicians or people need to be under the whip so that everybody is singing from the same song sheet

You WILL be assimilated.

End of message

(I do love those dogs Simon but if I lived in the Ward it would be Dave that gets my tick if only to stop him chuntering in the pub when I meet him)

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Apr 28 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

Petra seems to be showing her Support for the "Supreme Leader" principle. It appears more and more like she is one of the "Brain-washed" underlings in Market Street every time she posts"

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 28 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I believe North Korea is nice this time of year?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 28 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (CrackerJack @ Apr 28 2015, 09:34 PM) *

(I do love those dogs Simon but if I lived in the Ward it would be Dave that gets my tick if only to stop him chuntering in the pub when I meet him)

Clem?, is that you?

blink.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 28 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (CrackerJack @ Apr 28 2015, 09:34 PM) *

And you have discerning sensibilities, they are quite the sweeties. As for voting, in the Town Council election where I'm standing with Charlie, Dave, and Mark, ward residents get four votes and can in fact vote for all four of us Apoliticals.

--------------------

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Apr 28 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Dear Independents’,

I admire your zeitgeist, but sadly misplaced. Independents on here are wasting their time because they are never going to be satisfied. To achieve certain goals in politics you need the collective spirit of those that require change. Independent’s are just a bunch of free-thinking-individuals that either work on behalf of the ordinary people or with a sense of justice (falsely). To get things done, you need obedience and loyalty to a figurehead. Politicians or even people who work for bureaucratic organizations such as a councils’, need to be under the whip so that everybody is singing from the same song sheet. Council can’t or shouldn’t elect freethinking do-gooders, who in the end will mess things up and create havoc for everybody. Parties have a specific-agenda, which needs to be followed, implemented with precision and a degree of strict-collective control. They are there for the majority and that means making hard uncompromising decisions.

You can’t have people willy-nilly challenging every decision that their masters have ordered them to carry out. Don’t get me wrong, I am not suggesting that there can’t be free thinkers under an umbrella of a controlled unit, but eventually a decisive decision needs to be taken and then followed loyally through.

At this election, whether it be General or local, there will only be one winner and that will be a party machine. Independents could be a spammer thrown in the works, which could cause confusion and no overall-winner. This would be good for communities. Bet you really want this.

Yours,
Petra.

Yes my dear, but, all change starts with a seed, a seed of truth or a seed of liberty. In this case it's a seed of change. If it is watered by the rains of discontent and fed with the very essence of freedom from oppression it can only, nay, WILL only grow to a veritable giant of reason and truth within the fallow mind of such as you where mere dross is substituted for the thought and dreams that will one day topple the establishment and shake society to it's core. Then, and only then will we have people to lead us whome we can truly point at and hold our children up to see them and exclaim "there my child, there is a being of worth, emulate him and be proud for there is the way of truth"!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 28 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Is the circus in town?

--------------------

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 28 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Apr 28 2015, 10:17 PM) *
Yes my dear, but, all change starts with a seed, a seed of truth or a seed of liberty. In this case it's a seed of change. If it is watered by the rains of discontent and fed with the very essence of freedom from oppression it can only, nay, WILL only grow to a veritable giant of reason and truth within the fallow mind of such as you where mere dross is substituted for the thought and dreams that will one day topple the establishment and shake society to it's core. Then, and only then will we have people to lead us whome we can truly point at and hold our children up to see them and exclaim "there my child, there is a being of worth, emulate him and be proud for there is the way of truth"!

Good ol' Nigel!! wink.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 28 2015, 11:46 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Independent’s are just a bunch of free-thinking-individuals that either work on behalf of the ordinary people or with a sense of justice.

laugh.gif No-wonder they have so many enemies in political circles!

Rational people just need a powerful argument presented. You don't need whipping if the mission and the case has been adequately made. If it hasn't then free thinking do gooders have their place to hold people to account. The current version of 'adversarial politics' we have in West Berks has failed.

We need sensible direction; not robust whips.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:29 AM