IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sainsbury roundabout works, any idea what is happening?
Darren
post Aug 11 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

I see the signs are out for the roadworks/improvements, but has anyone seen the details of what is actually being done?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 11 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 11 2010, 11:59 AM) *
I see the signs are out for the roadworks/improvements, but has anyone seen the details of what is actually being done?

It is for the installation of cycle lanes

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 11 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/Article...articleID=14148

The district council is also taking the opportunity to carry out roadworks at two other Newbury locations in the coming weeks, including the Bear Lane roundabout, which will be closed for roadworks from 7pm until midnight each night from Sunday, August 15 until Friday, August 27.
This will enable the council to resurface the carriageway, update the traffic signal controller and create new road markings and traffic signs.

(I assume by Bear Lane roundabout they actually mean the Kings Road roundabout.)

Pity they are not also taking the opportunity to knock down the KFC building to make a decent two-lane exit from Wharf Road smile.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 11 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 11 2010, 12:02 PM) *

Oooh goody!! I hope they're like the St Johns Roundabout cycle lanes....... laugh.gif Could do with another laugh....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 11 2010, 11:59 AM) *

Was there? I cycled past it to Sainsbury's and I didn't see any road signs. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 11 2010, 12:02 PM) *

Is it... brilliant... I just hope they are not like the other roundabout as they are dangerous.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 11 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 11 2010, 06:50 PM) *
Was there? I cycled past it to Sainsbury's and I didn't see any road signs. laugh.gif

Cycling with your eyes closed is probably contrary to the Highway Code. smile.gif

Anyhow, there are signs on the central reservation of the A339 in both directions and on the approach to the roundabout coming from Sainsburys. (There may be more - they are just the ones I've seen.)

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 11 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Could this be where they replace the whole traffic light system with an 'intelligent (hahahahaha) one like the Robin Hood?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 11 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 11 2010, 10:15 PM) *
Cycling with your eyes closed is probably contrary to the Highway Code. smile.gif

It works for Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles wink.gif

Anyhow, there are signs on the central reservation of the A339 in both directions and on the approach to the roundabout coming from Sainsburys. (There may be more - they are just the ones I've seen.)

Next time I go I'll have a look. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 16 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Nice to see it's all free-flowing out there... Not!!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 16 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 16 2010, 07:39 PM) *
Nice to see it's all free-flowing out there... Not!!

Well, the signs do say the works start daily at 7pm (seeing as your post is timed a little after that). Since it's after 6 you have the option of avoiding it by going through the town.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 17 2010, 04:13 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 16 2010, 10:47 PM) *
Well, the signs do say the works start daily at 7pm (seeing as your post is timed a little after that). Since it's after 6 you have the option of avoiding it by going through the town.

Not when going into Mill Lane/Bone Lane

It was queued up at 18:40 as the roundabout was running on temporary lights with single, alternate lane using the west side only. I'm sure the council highways will be able to answer why, in a concise and timely fashion...

+Quote Post
J C
post Aug 17 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 17 2010, 05:13 AM) *
Not when going into Mill Lane/Bone Lane

It was queued up at 18:40 as the roundabout was running on temporary lights with single, alternate lane using the west side only. I'm sure the council highways will be able to answer why, in a concise and timely fashion...

Snap! I queued from 18:30 going from the Robinhood Roundabout to the Sainsburys Roundabout whilst they deactivated the lights and put in the temporary ones, once off the M4 it took me longer to get to Kings Road than it had to get back from Brentford!

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Aug 17 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

Surely you can not expect traffic to run as smoothly as it would without the roadworks taking place? I was very pleased this morning to see that they have FINALLY painted the lanes coming from Sainsburys to the roundabout so that each lane filters into two lanes rather than people believing that the inside lane should filter into three lanes (what logic in their thinking there I don't understand) and nearly taking the side of my car off. So if you read this the old woman in the blue Ford Focus with road rage I WAS IN THE RIGHT LANE !!.

+Quote Post
J C
post Aug 17 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Aug 17 2010, 01:23 PM) *
Surely you can not expect traffic to run as smoothly as it would without the roadworks taking place?

No I wouldn't expect it to during the times the roadworks are advertised to take place (between 7pm & Midnight) but I do object to sitting in a queue for 30 mins before then because they have quite litterally stopped all traffic using the roundabout. If I had come home nearer to 7pm I would have gone a different route to avoid the roundabout completely which I will do this evening.

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Aug 17 2010, 01:23 PM) *
I was very pleased this morning to see that they have FINALLY painted the lanes coming from Sainsburys to the roundabout so that each lane filters into two lanes rather than people believing that the inside lane should filter into three lanes (what logic in their thinking there I don't understand) and nearly taking the side of my car off. So if you read this the old woman in the blue Ford Focus with road rage I WAS IN THE RIGHT LANE !!.

Hear hear! That was a massive pet peeve of mine, glad to see the road markings now sensible, shame people will probably carry on as usual and not follow the lane markings

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 17 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (J C @ Aug 17 2010, 01:31 PM) *
Hear hear! That was a massive pet peeve of mine, glad to see the road markings now sensible, shame people will probably carry on as usual and not follow the lane markings

But they never do. Another case in point is people in London Road (West) taking the right hand lane at the Robin Hood lights when they intend to go left under the flyover instead of up the A339. And the road markings there couldn't be much clearer.

+Quote Post
J C
post Aug 17 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 17 2010, 02:30 PM) *
But they never do. Another case in point is people in London Road (West) taking the right hand lane at the Robin Hood lights when they intend to go left under the flyover instead of up the A339. And the road markings there couldn't be much clearer.

Or coming from Sainsburys onto the Robinhood in the middle lane when they want to carry up the A339 towards the M4!

Back to the road works the timings have now been clarified with the contractor so hopefully it won't take me so long to get home tonight!

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=14286

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 17 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (J C @ Aug 17 2010, 03:36 PM) *
Or coming from Sainsburys onto the Robinhood in the middle lane when they want to carry up the A339 towards the M4!

I think that's actually OK (to use either of the two outside lanes for the A339). Must admit I always use the outside lane if I'm going up there, but it's worth checking the road markings again smile.gif And I always stay in the right lane until I'm sure there's nothing coming up the inside.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 17 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Aug 17 2010, 05:32 PM) *
I think that's actually OK (to use either of the two outside lanes for the A339). Must admit I always use the outside lane if I'm going up there, but it's worth checking the road markings again smile.gif And I always stay in the right lane until I'm sure there's nothing coming up the inside.

If going A339 towards the M4, the only lane is the outside lane. After the lights, it then goes to 2 lanes for the flyover. The middle lane is for A4 east and Shaw Road. Inside lane is Town Centre and A4 west.

The sign on the approach are clear as to which lane to use. Sadly, reading signs appears to an optional extra.

I'm pleased to see that the work hadn't started when I went through at 18:40. I guess someone was 'educated' with a shovel.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 17 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 17 2010, 07:57 PM) *
The sign on the approach are clear as to which lane to use

Which is obviously the reason I always use the outside lane when going up the A339. I don't have instant recall of all the signs I have read as I drive around smile.gif But I still wouldn't drive straight through to the left hand lane going over the flyover without making sure there is nothing coming up the inside.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:03 AM