Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drivers who use hand held mobile phones
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 21 2010, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

On the way back from Tesco's the other day the car in front suddenly stopped for no reason in the middle of the road just passed the mini roundabout that leads to HomeBase etc. It stopped for about 30 seconds so we tried to overtake as we presumed it had broken down. Half way through the overtaking manouever the car started again and when we got to the roundabout it moved across several cars cutting them up and nearly causing a serious accident.

When we eventually got alongside it the woman driving was holding her phone and shouting and swearing down it with both hands off the wheel whilst driving with her knees.

People like this should be instantly banned from driving and their cars impounded. They are as bad if not worse than drink drivers and a serious hazard on the road.

Whoever you are. You should be ashamed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ozzy
post Jun 21 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 649

I commute quite a lot and I swear I see more people on mobile phones than I used to.

It seems the law on handheld/handsfree has had the opposite effect. If they see a policeman they just drop the phone...

It annoys me so much angry.gif yet they will never be caught.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 21 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 21 2010, 01:26 PM) *
On the way back from Tesco's the other day the car in front suddenly stopped for no reason in the middle of the road just passed the mini roundabout that leads to HomeBase etc. It stopped for about 30 seconds so we tried to overtake as we presumed it had broken down. Half way through the overtaking manouever the car started again and when we got to the roundabout it moved across several cars cutting them up and nearly causing a serious accident.

When we eventually got alongside it the woman driving was holding her phone and shouting and swearing down it with both hands off the wheel whilst driving with her knees.

People like this should be instantly banned from driving and their cars impounded. They are as bad if not worse than drink drivers and a serious hazard on the road.

Whoever you are. You should be ashamed.

I totally agree TD&H well said.

I, like someone else on here was recentlty clocked at 35 MPH on Monks Lane and have been fined for it (my fault for not realising the limit had been reduced I guess).

What these arrogant, ignorant pillocks do is far more dangerous and if we see these kind of occurences, then surely the Police do to.

It is an offence that needs to be cracked down against big time. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 21 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jun 21 2010, 01:49 PM) *
I totally agree TD&H well said.

I, like someone else on here was recentlty clocked at 35 MPH on Monks Lane and have been fined for it (my fault for not realising the limit had been reduced I guess).

What these arrogant, ignorant pillocks do is far more dangerous and if we see these kind of occurences, then surely the Police do to.

It is an offence that needs to be cracked down against big time. angry.gif

Yep, me too. There needs to be bigger fines and driving bans for these idiots.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 21 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

What's the point of raising the penalty, if they are not getting caught?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jun 21 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Unmarked Police car used to park at Hambridge Road/Lane clocking people on mobile phones. They radioed through to uniformed officer on Kings Road. He pulled in one after he other. When they argued they asked to see the phone. Unsure of they still do this as we have moved, but it did while away a boring afternoon.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 21 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 21 2010, 02:29 PM) *
What's the point of raising the penalty, if they are not getting caught?

Some are getting caught and with a more punitive penalty the word will get around making people think a little more about their actions.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 21 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 21 2010, 03:07 PM) *
Some are getting caught and with a more punitive penalty the word will get around making people think a little more about their actions.

In have my doubts. Notwithstanding, using a mobile hands free can be just as dangerous. Having said that, while using a mobile while driving is stupid and has helped to cause accidents, considering how many do it, I think the danger is over-blown.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 21 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 21 2010, 03:19 PM) *
In have my doubts.

Your response is not unexpected.
Notwithstanding, using a mobile hands free can be just as dangerous.

I seriously think you are wrong with this statement. Surly it must be more dangerous.
Having said that, while using a mobile while driving is stupid and has helped to cause accidents, considering how many do it, I think the danger is over-blown.

You are of course entitled to your view however I disagree again.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 21 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 21 2010, 03:29 PM) *
Your response is not unexpected.

Is it really not? rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 21 2010, 03:29 PM) *
I seriously think you are wrong with this statement. Surly it must be more dangerous.

Here you go...

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle5508887.ece

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...nk-driving.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-...ing-483090.html

At the end of the day, people shouldn't be using cell phones full stop.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 21 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 21 2010, 03:34 PM) *

Yes, I agree with your last statement whole heartedly.

I couldn't open the first attachment but the Mail article compares Hands free with drunk driving not using a hand held phone.
The Independent article talks about phone conversations whilst driving for young and old drivers in general and does not make a comparison between hands on and hands free calls

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 21 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 21 2010, 03:43 PM) *
Yes, I agree with your last statement whole heartedly.

I couldn't open the first attachment but the Mail article compares Hands free with drunk driving not using a hand held phone.

The link works for me, but it says...

In-car hands-free kits 'just as dangerous as mobiles' when driving

"Using a hands-free mobile phone in a car while driving poses no less danger than a handheld one, because the hazard does not relate to your hands, but with your brain.

New research suggests that regardless of the device used, all telephone conversations while driving are dangerous, as they affect attention and visual processing skills significantly.

Many have previously believed that hands-free kits are safer to use in a vehicle as both hands remain on the steering wheel.

But David Strayer, from the University of Utah, who led the research, told The New Tork Times: “It’s not that your hands aren’t on the wheel. It’s that your mind is not on the road.”

The findings of the research, published in the December issue of The Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, has led to a call from the National Safety Council — a US pressure group that has campaigned for drunk-driving awareness and the enforcement of seat-belt laws — for an all-out ban on the use of phone calls while driving..."

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 21 2010, 03:43 PM) *
The Independent article talks about phone conversations whilst driving for young and old drivers in general and does not make a comparison between hands on and hands free calls

Remember Mr Bloggo pedant, I said can be. wink.gif

Now if there is nothing else, can I go home now? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jun 21 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jun 21 2010, 03:52 PM) *
The link works for me, but it says...

In-car hands-free kits 'just as dangerous as mobiles' when driving

"Using a hands-free mobile phone in a car while driving poses no less danger than a handheld one, because the hazard does not relate to your hands, but with your brain.

New research suggests that regardless of the device used, all telephone conversations while driving are dangerous, as they affect attention and visual processing skills significantly.

Many have previously believed that hands-free kits are safer to use in a vehicle as both hands remain on the steering wheel.

But David Strayer, from the University of Utah, who led the research, told The New Tork Times: “It’s not that your hands aren’t on the wheel. It’s that your mind is not on the road.”

The findings of the research, published in the December issue of The Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, has led to a call from the National Safety Council — a US pressure group that has campaigned for drunk-driving awareness and the enforcement of seat-belt laws — for an all-out ban on the use of phone calls while driving..."

Remember Mr Bloggo pedant, I said can be.

Now if there is nothing else, can I go home now?

Oh dear, you sound a little irritated.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 21 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jun 21 2010, 03:57 PM) *
Oh dear, you sound a little irritated.

Sorry, I missed off a smiley wink.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 21 2010, 03:29 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Driving whilst using a phone should be treated exactly the same as drink driving.

I'd rather be following someone who has had 2 pints (they are likely to be very careful) than some screaming banshee using her phone and driving with her knees.

No points. Just a straight ban please.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 21 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 21 2010, 04:29 PM) *
Driving whilst using a phone should be treated exactly the same as drink driving.

I'd rather be following someone who has had 2 pints (they are likely to be very careful) than some screaming banshee using her phone and driving with her knees.

No points. Just a straight ban please.

I wonder what this modern obsession is with the mobile phone?

I have one but do not live by it. I use it when appropriate and not to the distraction of everything else.

There are supposed mobile free carriages on trains but do these obsessed people take any notice or have any consideration for anyone else? - No.

I also think it is very rude when, for example, someone is being served in a shop but tries to do the transaction with one glued to their ear in conversation.

I am not knocking the mobile phone - it is a great invention - but don't let it run your life (or end it!)

P.S. I bet there are some culprits on here reading this. I wonder what they think - or care?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 21 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I've done it, lot's of times. I drive an automatic so it's not as difficult to do it as in a manual car. I have done it in the states quite a bit where it is legal and over here a little bit. I think the penalties were steeper here I wouldn't have done. I have not done it anywhere for at least a year, and probably won't do it ever again.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 21 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I cycle quite a lot around Newbury and the amount of times I see cars pass me by with their drivers using a mobile phone. Including Sovereign, BT and other well know companies. Last year I even saw a person driving with a mobile phone in one hand, a beer in the other and he was steering with his knee. And the amount of times you see the police drive by them and either don’t notice or aren’t bothered. What is the point of having a law that says it is wrong, but nobody bothered enough to do anything?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jun 21 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 21 2010, 05:22 PM) *
I also think it is very rude when, for example, someone is being served in a shop but tries to do the transaction with one glued to their ear in conversation.

Or when you are Angela Merkel waiting to greet Sr Berlusconi when he hops out of his car mid-conversation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5B3r7Py2h4

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Jun 21 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jun 21 2010, 02:48 PM) *
Unmarked Police car used to park at Hambridge Road/Lane clocking people on mobile phones. They radioed through to uniformed officer on Kings Road. He pulled in one after he other. When they argued they asked to see the phone. Unsure of they still do this as we have moved, but it did while away a boring afternoon.

Your post is slightly contradicting its self. You are suggesting that the police did this task to pass time when actually it is the traffic police doing what their paid to do and tackling the problem that the thread is complaining about!

And yes it does still happen on a regular basis just not always in the same place.

Given that news reports suggest the number of people are caught using their phones is increasing someone must be doing something about it.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:15 PM