IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cracks survey still not ready to be made public, and a councillors ill thought words
Andy Capp
post May 4 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

After reading the NWN article regards the VERY LATE hydrogeological survey, anyone would think that NWN readers were impatient and fail to understand the importance of the survey.

Julian Swift-Hook quotes: “I understand the impatience of Newbury Weekly News readers who want to know what’s happening, but the future of Victoria Park is at stake, and as the guardians of the jewel in Newbury’s crown we believe it’s essential to do this right, rather than quickly,”

So we are told that a survey will take 4 weeks (then add some for discussion of the results). They have now had the results in for several months, yet diddly-squat. JSW, a councillor I have little regard for (especially after his apparent hypocritical view regards sanctioning a massive Sainsbury's warehouse on Greenham Common, only to many years latter claim to be defending the common against any future 'huge' warehouse), claims to be working in the best interests of our jewel that is Victoria Park. It is a pity that he and his Tory 'mates' didn't think about that when they rolled over and endorsed the Parkway violation.

Surely this 'closet Tory' could have chosen his words better?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
user23
post May 4 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

What's the Parkway violation?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 4 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 4 2011, 08:30 PM) *
What's the Parkway violation?

If you have to ask, then you won't understand, or, If you don't genuinely know (but I am sure you do), then you are not going to agree with me.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE ("Julian Swift Hook")
I understand the impatience of Newbury Weekly News readers who want to know what’s happening, but the future of Victoria Park is at stake, and as the guardians of the jewel in Newbury’s crown we believe it’s essential to do this right, rather than quickly. The wheels of the legal system’s machinery turn very slowly – even more slowly than the wheels of local government machinery sometimes do. Until we are satisfied with our own assessment of the hydrogeological and legal positions, we won’t be having discussions with any other organisations on this particular issue. When we have completed our own assessment of the hydrogeological and legal positions, we will discuss our findings with the other organisations involved with a view to finding a workable solution to the problems in the Park as soon as possible. I’m hopeful of a resolution soon, but I can’t make a commitment to a timescale – as I say, it’s essential to do this right, rather than quickly.

Shouldn't it be the town clerk who speaks on behalf of the Town Council, and not JSW? Unless he's anticipating it being resolved by tomorrow it does seem somewhat presumptuous to assume he'll have any further involvement.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 4 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 4 2011, 09:54 PM) *
Shouldn't it be the town clerk who speaks on behalf of the Town Council, and not JSW? Unless he's anticipating it being resolved by tomorrow it does seem somewhat presumptuous to assume he'll have any further involvement.

I didn't know Newbury had a Town Clerk any more. The senior employee is Mr Hunt, I believe, and he gets it between the eyes if he speaks up.

'Left Hook' is currently speaking as Deputy Chairman I gather, which means he speaks with the voice of the Council. Otherwise he would not be able to speak - as a candidate he would be seen as 'canvassing (Purdah).
As for 'presumptuous' - every Councillor is 100% accountable until the Count is declared, and from the moment the new Members are sworn in.... I believe....

+Quote Post
user23
post May 4 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 4 2011, 09:54 PM) *
Town Clerk? Who's that then?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 4 2011, 10:05 PM) *
I didn't know Newbury had a Town Clerk any more. The senior employee is Mr Hunt, I believe, and he gets it between the eyes if he speaks up.

'Left Hook' is currently speaking as Deputy Chairman I gather, which means he speaks with the voice of the Council. Otherwise he would not be able to speak - as a candidate he would be seen as 'canvassing (Purdah).
As for 'presumptuous' - every Councillor is 100% accountable until the Count is declared, and from the moment the new Members are sworn in.... I believe....

I'm sure you're right. I was probably thinking of Mr. Troop.

Funny old thing for the Council to be commenting on now though isn't it, that after eight months of nothing happening, nothing has happened? But I'm sure you're right, because I can't for the life of me think why a candidate would willingly associate themselves with this particular snafu in the week of polling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 4 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 4 2011, 10:27 PM) *
I'm sure you're right. I was probably thinking of Mr. Troop. Funny old thing for the Council to be commenting on now though isn't it, that after eight months of nothing happening, nothing has happened? But I'm sure you're right, because I can't for the life of me think why a candidate would willingly associate themselves with this particular snafu in the week of polling.

I'd like to think this is in response to people complaining at the door when they have been canvassing. I would dearly love to see the town council's incumbents get a political bloody nose for what they have done in office, but in my dreams I fear.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 4 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 4 2011, 10:35 PM) *
I'd like to think this is in response to people complaining at the door when they have been canvassing. I would dearly love to see the town council's incumbents get a political bloody nose for what they have done in office, but in my dreams I fear.

I rather suspect you could be right..... reminding people the sitting Councillors are working hard to get back loadsamoney form Costain.......

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 4 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I reckon it's going to be a very togh few days for the Libs. That's besides the point, the fact is that purdah is being broken left, right and centre. David Betts was the worst offender.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 4 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 4 2011, 10:41 PM) *
I reckon it's going to be a very togh few days for the Libs. That's besides the point, the fact is that purdah is being broken left, right and centre. David Betts was the worst offender.

Broken? How so? If so, I'm sure you will be on your way to the Returning Officer to make your complaint

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 4 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 4 2011, 09:43 PM) *
Broken? How so? If so, I'm sure you will be on your way to the Returning Officer to make your complaint

Made my complaint already. What has been done?? Not even got a reply to say they recieved my complaint, surprise surprise. To complicate matters, the returning officer had previously advised the Tories and Nick Caqrter not to make the announcement they did, yet they went ahead anyway. Another example of the Tories breaking the rules and the council officers refusing to stand up to them!!!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 4 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Please tell us of the nature of the allegation.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 4 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 4 2011, 10:47 PM) *
Made my complaint already. What has been done?? Not even got a reply to say they recieved my complaint, surprise surprise. To complicate matters, the returning officer had previously advised the Tories and Nick Caqrter not to make the announcement they did, yet they went ahead anyway. Another example of the Tories breaking the rules and the council officers refusing to stand up to them!!!

Nick Carter is not subject to Purdah as he is not an elected member. He only needs to ensure comments he makes do not appear to endorse a candidate or party - but that is so for his role all the time.

If you can evidence that inappropriate comments were made, and that they (probably could have) influenced the result, then your next action is after the election. The comments cannot be 'un-said' after all, whatever they were.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 4 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

David Betts announced that he was signing off 68 road surface improvement schemes (including some in his ward) and also issued a self penned press release quoting his position as portfolio holder and went on to talk about conservative party future plans for roads. Send me your email or set up a gmail account and pm me the address and I will send you the correspondance I've had on the matter.

David Betts also posted messages on social network sites that discussed campaigning in his ward and signing off these projects in the same post.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 4 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ May 4 2011, 11:09 PM) *
David Betts announced that he was signing off 68 road surface improvement schemes (including some in his ward) and also issued a self penned press release quoting his position as portfolio holder and went on to talk about conservative party future plans for roads. Send me your email or set up a gmail account and pm me the address and I will send you the correspondance I've had on the matter.

David Betts also posted messages on social network sites that discussed campaigning in his ward and signing off these projects in the same post.

Nothing that worries me on FB or Twitter. Where are the 'announcements'?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post May 5 2011, 06:58 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 4 2011, 10:38 PM) *
Nothing that worries me on FB or Twitter. Where are the 'announcements'?

I'd suspect they have been deleted now, although I have screenshots and a copy of the press release should you require it.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 5 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 4 2011, 10:05 PM) *

It escaped me last night, by JSH is not deputy chaiman of the council, that position is taken by Cllr Adrian Edwards. JSH is, I believe, deputy leader of the council. Chaiman of the council (and likewise, her deputy) is a statutory position, and corresponds to mayor in a town council, but leader and deputy leader are meaningless political epithets at the parish level. So correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that JSH's interview was political campaigning pure and simple.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bofem
post May 5 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

I don't see any purdah breach....just more lib Dem flipflopping.

They've been found out nationally, and hopefully the NTC's predilection for secrecy will be over with a more pluralist representative sample. (Apoliticals/Labour, I don't care as long as it stops the rot)

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Mark NWN
post May 5 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 907

Just to clarify, we approached Julian for comment on the issue, not the other way round, and as always Julian answered every question put to him. The two people we would normally speak to, Graham Hunt and the project manager Granville, were both on leave at the time.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:02 AM