Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lets have a Time War with the Scots.
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 23 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

Why oh why do we pander to the Scots and change our clocks this weekend? I don't want to go home in the pitch black from Monday every night for 4 months.

European time stretches from the eastern frontier of Poland to the Western frontier of Spain and the only country which is on Portuguese time is Britain. Why? Because of Scottish Farmers who want to milk their Cows in the light.

Its a farce. Its about time that this stupid change was abandoned.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 23 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 23 2009, 09:54 AM) *
European time stretches from the eastern frontier of Poland to the Western frontier of Spain and the only country which is on Portuguese time is Britain.

You absolutely sure about that?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 23 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Oct 23 2009, 01:48 PM) *
You absolutely sure about that?

Yes

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 23 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 23 2009, 01:58 PM) *
Yes

Then you are wrong - what about Ireland?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 23 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Oct 23 2009, 02:03 PM) *
Then you are wrong - what about Ireland?

To clarify....

A prominent historian has called for the UK to adopt the same time zone as the rest of central Europe, leaving Scotland to its own "tundra time".

Sir Alistair Horne said it was "absolutely crazy" for the UK to have a different time zone to the rest of central Europe.

The clocks will be put back one hour on Sunday, providing more daylight in the morning and making the evenings darker.

Sir Alistair said it might benefit Scotland but not the rest of the UK.

He told the BBC's Today programme: "The Scots do have a problem because, being that much nearer the North Pole, they do have a very short day.

"But when you look at the map of time zones it is absolutely crazy."

Sir Alistair said Central European time stretched "from the eastern frontier of Poland to the western frontier of Spain" and Britain and Ireland were on the same western time zone as Portugal.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 23 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Have a look at this map.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 23 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 23 2009, 02:23 PM) *
To clarify....

Sir Alistair said Central European time stretched "from the eastern frontier of Poland to the western frontier of Spain" and Britain and Ireland were on the same western time zone as Portugal.

So Sir Alistair got it right and you got it wrong, ok, I can accept that. Thanks

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 23 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Oct 23 2009, 02:32 PM) *
So Sir Alistair got it right and you got it wrong, ok, I can accept that. Thanks

Are you Scottish Hugh? I know you are very condescending.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Oct 23 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 23 2009, 02:39 PM) *

Glad you like it and if you could be bothered to get your facts right in the first place, I wouldn't need to query what you write, would I? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Oct 23 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Oct 23 2009, 02:39 PM) *

TDH does have a point Hugh. You seem to be intent on slapping him down on this post and pointing out errors with his spelling on another.
What's it all about?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Oct 23 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Oct 23 2009, 02:51 PM) *
TDH does have a point Hugh. You seem to be intent on slapping him down on this post and pointing out errors with his spelling on another.
What's it all about?

Bloggo - Hugh is a Boer (deliberate speeling mistake) He never has any views and all he does is try and come across as all superior. I expect he's the bloke in the local that clears the pub when he walks in. You know the type. wink.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Oct 23 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

This old chestnut raises it's silly head every year about this time . I think it must have something to do with the diminishing amount of sunlight on the brains of some poor deluded souls .
Firstly Greenwich Mean Time is the standard that the rest of the world sets its clocks by . This alone should make each and every one of us proud to be living in this sceptered isle , the fact that , in any given 24 hour period the amount of daylight is directly proportional to our position to the sun , alone shows that no matter how we juggle the clocks about we only get x hours daylight .

The changing of the clocks was first introduced during the first world war as an interim measure in order to give more hours of daylight during the summer evenings for the working on the land which at the time was very labour intensive and allowed personnel to man factories during the day. Once the war was over no one saw fit to repeal the act so it stayed until the outbreak of the second world war when double summer time was introduced for the same reason, which meant it was still light at midnight .

After the war and with the increasing affluence of the proletariat who quite liked the idea of lighter evenings for recreational purposes it stayed and has remained unchanged since ,apart from a disastrous experiment one year during the 1960s when they kept to BST all year , resulting in children going to school in the dark and the resulting accidents caused the then government to admit it was a mistake.

Those of you who advocate such silly notions in the belief that it gives us more daylight have my deepest sympathy , for I feel that the education system of this country has let you down .
Those who want to be close to our European neighbours at the expense of our Scottish ones ,shame on you .

angry.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 23 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I had a history teacher who said that during a major war, most politicians etc are concerned with strategems to win. However, this leave the gate open for the oddballs to get their particular hobby horses through the door without too much effort. In his view, this was one of them.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Oct 23 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 23 2009, 05:48 PM) *
I had a history teacher who said that during a major war, most politicians etc are concerned with strategems to win. However, this leave the gate open for the oddballs to get their particular hobby horses through the door without too much effort. In his view, this was one of them.
Funnily enough the pub opening times (which were recently changed) were introduced in WW1.

There did seem to be someone obsessed with time pushing strange acts through Parliament at that, er, time.

By the way, Iceland is also in the same time zone as us and the rest of the world set their clocks by UTC, not GMT.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 23 2009, 05:46 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 23 2009, 05:57 PM) *
By the way, Iceland is also in the same time zone as us and the rest of the world set their clocks by UTC, not GMT.

And for my next trick, I'll split the atom. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Oct 23 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Coordinated Universal Time may well be the recognised measure in order to allow for a slowing in the earth's rotation , but it is still based on longitude which uses the Greenwich Meridian as it's starting point .

It is within .09 of a second per day anyway so GMT is ok by me . tongue.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
gel
post Oct 23 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Quite agree, Scots MP's/Ministers have caused fatal damage to English interests, and UK Economy plc. angry.gif So we should stop pandering.

There was an experiment some years back where we didn't move the clocks so we didn't have months of dark evenings, but it didn't continue.

Politically the Scot's shouldn't object as they do everything possible to distance themselves from England, and majority seem to despise the "United Kingdom".
Remember David Coulthard/Colin McRae Scots sports personalities as an example; they would never show the Union Jack emblem on clothing, only Scots one.

On GMT being world standard, there is another called UTC.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 23 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (user23 @ Oct 23 2009, 05:57 PM) *
By the way, Iceland is also in the same time zone as us

And for those grumbling about it being dark at one end of the day or the other in winter here, in Reykjavik on Dec 23 the sun rises at 11:23 and sets at 15:30.

I was there in November once, and it's very odd when it's still pitch dark at 10 o'clock in the morning.

Edit: on the other hand on the longest day, 21 June, the sun rises at 2:55 in the morning and sets at 4 minutes after midnight the following day biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 23 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Of course we could always go back to 'local time' years ago, Bristol had a different time to Oxford who had a different time to London. The coming of the railways meant there had to be a single version of the time throughout the country - because you couldn't tell what time trains would arrive. Apparently First Great Western are trying to revive this old custom...

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:14 AM