post Nov 8 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

Have you seen the Reading Chronicle?

Bus lane fines total £2.5m as drivers call for better signage
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/139...better_signage/

How are drivers meant to be able to read, assimilate and act on this one sign which has so much writing in the subplate relating to the operational timing and type of vehicle it applies to, in a busy location where there might be all sorts of traffic, including pedestrians, buses, taxis and also with the other necessary traffic signs which are also in place in a town/city centre and need to be adhered to?

And they also need to be fully aware of what exact time it might be. Their watch might not be accurate (or may still be on BST biggrin.gif )... but would you get a penalty for going through at 7:05 when your watch was a bit slow? (Presumably 'Yes').

£2,500,000 is quite a tidy sum to raise from one location. 11,600 drivers going through the area per year. 31 illegal vehicles a day. There's something wrong if that's happening.

And if the restriction is in place to make the area safer for pedestrians between 7am and 11am and also from 4pm to 7pm, then by allowing drivers to carry on through RBC are being complicit in allowing those drivers to endanger those pedestrians the restriction is meant to help protect.

Instead of rubbing their hands together and looking at the fines piling in through the cash registers their highways team should be doing something about preventing such a high level of non-compliance before someone knocks over a pedestrian who thought they were in a safe area..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 8 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

It's certainly confusing, but try driving in Reading at night in the rain when you don't know the town - the lane markings just disappear in the shine - I didn't get a ticket but I bet plenty do.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 8 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 8 2015, 08:13 PM) *
It's certainly confusing, but try driving in Reading at night in the rain when you don't know the town - the lane markings just disappear in the shine - I didn't get a ticket but I bet plenty do.

I do exactly that and completely agree.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 9 2015, 01:22 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Nov 8 2015, 09:13 PM) *

I got caught.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 9 2015, 09:16 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

It's relatively clear IMO.
Any time you see a no entry sign then if you're at all unsure just slow down a second.

We all make mistakes but there's just pleading ignorance "the signs are out to get me"

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Rdg
post Nov 9 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,577

QUOTE (motormad @ Nov 9 2015, 09:16 AM) *
It's relatively clear IMO.
Any time you see a no entry sign then if you're at all unsure just slow down a second.

We all make mistakes but there's just pleading ignorance "the signs are out to get me"

But you have to realise by the time you get to that sigh you can't actually turn around, the previous sign is even more Wordy -https://goo.gl/maps/1PTCd6ytPeH2

PLus they have removed the traffic lights at Jacksons corner so you no longer get as much opportunity to slow and read the sighs as buses fly about from all directions

Also it is now the exact opposite of the previous instruction which was "no entry between 11am and 4pm" as can be seen by this sign (had to show other side of town as googlecar didnt get a good picture of the other site in 2009 https://goo.gl/maps/n5eUwomko332

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 22 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

It's OK folks, despite the obvious signs it's legal to use Parkway Bridge.
"Tribunal finds council failed to impose legal restriction"
The semi-blind motorist who got away with driving over the bridge without a fine said..
“The tribunal ruling states there has never been a restriction, legally imposed, on that bridge.”
Should bring some relief to Newbury's traffic congestion now that we can all use it?? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 22 2016, 09:43 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I would suggest that anybody fined for this immediately demand a return of funds illegally extorted by WBC.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 22 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I guess a video camera is being rushed to the site as we speak!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 22 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

They have a legal team, I mean how difficult is it do get something like this right?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 22 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

It seems their QA is like some companies I know: release the beta to the public and let them find all the snags.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 22 2016, 10:49 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Apr 22 2016, 11:21 AM) *
They have a legal team, I mean how difficult is it do get something like this right?

I really don't know why anyone should be surprised.

Again and again our local authorities demonstrate that they simply aren't capable of delivering what is actually required for any given requirement. This is a Council that can't even get fundamentals like counting votes after an election right.

It is becoming even more obvious that the drain caused by the legal intellectual challenge of having duplicated administrations by an authority that is too small itself to attract first class talent has become irreparable. Unless we get this sorry mess sorted with a root and branch structural change it doesn't really matter who we vote for, the result will always be the same; brown and smelly.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Apr 22 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 22 2016, 11:06 AM) *

What difference will that make if there is no lawful restriction?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 22 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 22 2016, 11:46 AM) *
It seems their QA is like some companies I know: release the beta to the public and let them find all the snags.

Give it a try Andy and let us know how you get on. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 22 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Apr 22 2016, 12:42 PM) *
Give it a try Andy and let us know how you get on. tongue.gif

I'm not sure I follow? huh.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 22 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 22 2016, 12:51 PM) *
I'm not sure I follow? huh.gif

Well, have a drive over and let us know what happens.
Sort of tester just to make sure we can all get away with it.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 22 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 22 2016, 11:06 AM) *

Parkway Bridge is enforced by CCTV, just the same as all the bus lanes in Reading. I asked to see the evidence when my father-in-law was caught. Bang to rights - he was even on his mobile phone!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

It seems odd that the CHIEF Adjudicator for the Traffic Penalty Tribunal has looked at this before, as have other adjudicators when previous appeals have ended up in their Court and have found in favour of the Council. Are those previous adjudicators (including the Top Dog Adjudicator) all incompetent?

Or is it the fact that this specific appeal has won on a technicality which probably doesn't apply unless you happen to be driving through at ten past midnight, in reverse, with your wipers going and your passenger's playing ukulele and singing the Swedish National Anthem? All other times you're booked... It's odd that previous appeals have been thrown out

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 22 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (spartacus @ Apr 22 2016, 06:09 PM) *
Parkway Bridge is enforced by CCTV, just the same as all the bus lanes in Reading. I asked to see the evidence when my father-in-law was caught. Bang to rights - he was even on his mobile phone!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

It seems odd that the CHIEF Adjudicator for the Traffic Penalty Tribunal has looked at this before, as have other adjudicators when previous appeals have ended up in their Court and have found in favour of the Council. Are those previous adjudicators (including the Top Dog Adjudicator) all incompetent?

Or is it the fact that this specific appeal has won on a technicality which probably doesn't apply unless you happen to be driving through at ten past midnight, in reverse, with your wipers going and your passenger's playing ukulele and singing the Swedish National Anthem? All other times you're booked... It's odd that previous appeals have been thrown out
Yes, the picture in this article shows the signage that the The Chief Adjudicator for the Traffic Penalty Tribunal apparently thinks is fine, and the picture in this article shows the signage that isn't fine according to a tribunal judge.

Yes, they are the same picture and yes it's exactly the same signage.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 22 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Apr 22 2016, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 22 2016, 07:36 PM) *
Yes, the picture in this article shows the signage that the The Chief Adjudicator for the Traffic Penalty Tribunal apparently thinks is fine, and the picture in this article shows the signage that isn't fine according to a tribunal judge.

It is stated WBC had no legal right, so signage and CCTV are irrelevant. Muppets.

What is missing is the technical reason why WBC are considered to be running an extortion racket.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 22 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 22 2016, 07:36 PM) *

But........are these the same images that were presented at the tribunal? rolleyes.gif

It appears that it does not matter what the signage states as there was no legal restriction order in place therefore the signage is worthless and meaningless. rolleyes.gif

The only good thing about WBC and our local Town Council is they do keep us entertained with their fiascos. Just how many gaffs can you have in a month........priceless! Fawlty Towers, Vicar of Dibley, Yes Minister etc. can't hold a candle to these two shambles........if only it was not costing us so much I would be requesting more! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:10 PM