post Nov 8 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 8 2017, 10:21 AM) *
link laugh.gif laugh.gif
NTC playing silly buggers again!!??
Does this plan come from the same brains as the Greenham Control Tower shambles?

Now then, WBC's next big development Market Street Urban Village has just gone down the slipway. So, what next? Aaaah, Cheap Street, the GPO site, doubtless all owned by a couple of post privatisation spin offs. Only fly in the ointment, the exchange tower. What we need is a public fuss to try and get it moved....step forward NTC. And guess who'll be paying for these great ideas!

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 8 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Nov 8 2017, 01:31 PM) *
Could someone explain why it is perfectly ok to spend a six figure amount of tax payers money on prettying up a supposed eyesore yet they bulk at forking out some lose change on a school crossing lady ?
Like the good book sayeth ," if thine eye offends thee cast it out ". Quite happy to oblige if asked .

Could someone explain where it is suggested that any public money should be spent on this?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 8 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 8 2017, 03:06 PM) *
Could someone explain where it is suggested that any public money should be spent on this?

I don't think there is any suggestion that public money should be spent, although a good few are thinking the landlord or the occupier BT ought to cough up. I must admit, I'm nonplussed as to why Councillors are even discussing this micro issue; particularly given the rather more serious issues that should be attracting their focus and attention. I certainly haven't heard any serious disquiet.

Maintaining and developing a good built environment is very important. Good townscapes are developed over many years and ought to contain rather more than Disney film set designs. Arguably, the Exchange is a reasonably well designed and preserved example of its type - why does it need hiding or demolishing? Liking it or not is down to personal taste, and fashions come and go.

So in development terms, the real planning strategists ought to be protecting it. It's certainly a far better building than the rather dreadful very modern construction directly opposite on Bear Lane. For these reasons, the cynic in me smells a rat.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Nov 8 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

To be honest, I don't even see it anymore. Certainly don't spend my time worrying about it.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 8 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Nov 8 2017, 05:57 PM) *
To be honest, I don't even see it anymore. Certainly don't spend my time worrying about it.

Agreed.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 8 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 8 2017, 05:15 PM) *
I don't think there is any suggestion that public money should be spent, although a good few are thinking the landlord or the occupier BT ought to cough up. I must admit, I'm nonplussed as to why Councillors are even discussing this micro issue; particularly given the rather more serious issues that should be attracting their focus and attention. I certainly haven't heard any serious disquiet.

One councillor is banging on about what she's keen on, are any other councillors even discussing it? I guess it gets in the paper because she's a councillor, but I'm pretty sure this is a personal opinion that is nothing to do with the council.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 9 2017, 09:29 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 8 2017, 11:06 PM) *
One councillor is banging on about what she's keen on, are any other councillors even discussing it? I guess it gets in the paper because she's a councillor, but I'm pretty sure this is a personal opinion that is nothing to do with the council.

She is an elected member of NTC and a very vocal one so just as NWN has, unless she specifically says otherwise, this is what she is campaigning for. This is just how the Greenham Tower project started.

Once you've been elected to public office, your own views when expressed in public can't be considered personal.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 9 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Nov 9 2017, 09:29 AM) *
She is an elected member of NTC and a very vocal one so just as NWN has, unless she specifically says otherwise, this is what she is campaigning for. This is just how the Greenham Tower project started.

Once you've been elected to public office, your own views when expressed in public can't be considered personal.

Equally a comment from a member of the opposition party cannot be seen as council policy - or an indication that the council are discussing it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 9 2017, 05:00 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 9 2017, 03:58 PM) *
Equally a comment from a member of the opposition party cannot be seen as council policy - or an indication that the council are discussing it.

Very true.

(But just to be naughty, NTC's website always used to claim Councillors were apolitical!)

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:19 PM