> Radio Left Hook
Turin Machine
post Feb 24 2013, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2013/charity...ity-radio-group

I guess one question we could ask is, why? Is this truly the best and most efficient means to fund such a project? Answers on a postcard please.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 25 2013, 01:24 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

It's a way. I doubt it will raise all they need, but it's a start I guess.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 25 2013, 01:37 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Stockcross!!?!!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 25 2013, 01:19 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

The Newbury Weekly says": "Charity quiz night and buffet for community radio group".

I've done a search on the Charity Commission web site and Kennet Community Radio is not a registered charity.

Anyhoo, if Radio Left-Hook is going to fund itself through quiz nights that's fine - just don't come sniffing round for state hand-outs. Radio Left-Hook says it wants a community radio license, and it's a condition of Ofcom awarding that license that over half of the station's revenue comes from non-advertising sources, and touching up the local council for that money is the easiest option.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 25 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 24 2013, 11:39 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2013/charity...ity-radio-group

I guess one question we could ask is, why? Is this truly the best and most efficient means to fund such a project? Answers on a postcard please.

Everything has to start from somewhere. Then you build from there. But we must congratulated them for trying to do something.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 25 2013, 05:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Just on the state-funding thing again: I see that Radio Left-Hook's Facebook page is still giving the address of the station as Market Place, Newbury, RG14 5AA. Obviously there are a number of separate addresses served by that postcode, but as one of those addresses is the town hall I'd be interested to know whether RLH is using the facilities of the town hall and if so on what terms.

I've tried to have a listen but the internet station doesn't appear to be up and running.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 25 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 25 2013, 05:20 PM) *
Just on the state-funding thing again: I see that Radio Left-Hook's Facebook page is still giving the address of the station as Market Place, Newbury, RG14 5AA. Obviously there are a number of separate addresses served by that postcode, but as one of those addresses is the town hall I'd be interested to know whether RLH is using the facilities of the town hall and if so on what terms.

I've tried to have a listen but the internet station doesn't appear to be up and running.

If it is going to try and raise money by hosting charity events such as stated then I can't see it will ever be up and running. I would have thought raising some cash to see if there is any demand for a local radio station first would have been more appropriate. Still not really interested providing no taxpayers cash is spent on the project or in a subsidy for premises for it.

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 25 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 25 2013, 05:20 PM) *

Need to keep a weather eye on this - would be one for the District Auditor. Arguably, without formal agreement of the Council, the address shouldn't be used. I thought there were strict rules on that?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 27 2013, 11:30 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Julian registered Kennet Radio as a community station at his home address. Funny thing is, after trying to set this project up for over a year, Julian had one meeting with me and then registered the business name without consulting me and then started broadcasting on the internet, again without my knowledge. First I knew was when I had a call from the PRS asking if I had anything to do with the station. I decided then to have nothing more to do with him on the matter. Newbury needs a proper communt station, not a ego driven local councillor using the station website to attack the tories, imagine what kind of news bias it would have if it ever got a licence?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 27 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Neither of you could decide who'd get the best slots?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 27 2013, 12:31 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Feb 27 2013, 11:30 AM) *
Julian registered Kennet Radio as a community station at his home address. Funny thing is, after trying to set this project up for over a year, Julian had one meeting with me and then registered the business name without consulting me and then started broadcasting on the internet, again without my knowledge. First I knew was when I had a call from the PRS asking if I had anything to do with the station. I decided then to have nothing more to do with him on the matter. Newbury needs a proper communt station, not a ego driven local councillor using the station website to attack the tories, imagine what kind of news bias it would have if it ever got a licence?

On all points, I couldn't agree more with you Richard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 27 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

The web site is register to Julian at a French address - a second home perhaps?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 27 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 27 2013, 12:42 PM) *
The web site is register to Julian at a French address - a second home perhaps?

Offshore, just like the days of Pirate Radio - how Drole.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 27 2013, 01:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 27 2013, 12:57 PM) *
... just like the days of Pirate Radio ...

"Smee! Load the cannon, I see Garvie approaching!"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Feb 27 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Quite frankly what did anybody expect. I always thought it was nothing but a self promotion scheme.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 27 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Feb 27 2013, 01:57 PM) *
Quite frankly what did anybody expect. I always thought it was nothing but a self promotion scheme.

Aye, one ego usurped by another.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 27 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

With you on this!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 27 2013, 05:01 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 27 2013, 02:40 PM) *
With you on this!

Anything that involves the present politicos is treated with utter suspicion until they prove otherwise by me! angry.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 28 2013, 01:10 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Just going through who "likes" this whole project on Facebook and trying to pin Names with Usernames laugh.gif

Certainly wouldn't pay £12.50 to go to the start up event that's for sure.. I would like a Community Radio but it would have to be a TRULY community radio, hosted by people of all walks of life and age ranges, music, light hearted issues.. Wouldn't want to get bogged down in it.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 28 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

My idea was a community radio station which was used to transform a disused public building, whilst providing a place to provide skills and training for the community. It appears what Julian wants is a homage to Radio Caroline / the boat that rocked playing 12 inch vinyl and a bedroom dj's wet dream. Broadcasting council meetings and such like... who exactly would listen to it?

For all of those who warned me about letting Julian get involved, you were right and I was wrong. I've bitten my tongue for months on this, but the fact he's now using it to promote the Lib Dems is just an example of what he had in mind from day 1. At least my idea was to have a politics free station!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:48 PM